SAMSUNG 980 PRO SSD 1TB PCIe 4.0 NVMe Gen 4 $66.49

I wonder if these price drops are because of Samsung getting ready to push an actual PCI-E 5.0 M.2 SSD?
No, not really..

It was a result of the mfgr's quickly ramping up massive nand production during the pandemic, to meet the rising demand, but they overdid it & did not cut back soon enough, resulting in a somewhat oversupply situation, which caused the prices of m.2's to crash accordingly...

HOWEVER, that problem is quickly resolving itself as we speak, with Gen 4 production back to or less than the pre-pandemic levels, plus the ramp up of Gen 5 drives, prices are starting to creep back up now :(

Get 'em while they're cheap :D

If they could just get 4TB drives to slip under $100, it'd be glorious! Even gen3, at that price, would be perfect for storage of these massive games. (My brand new 2TB is already past 1/2 full with only a handfull of newer games - and 45GB/plenty of older games - installed.)

-bZj

If they could just get 4TB drives to slip under $100
Dream on.....

Under current circumstances, this is highly unlikely to happen... I'd be happy if the just reached the $150-175 mark....I seriously doubt you'll ever see a Sammy for that, but I think it is doable for WD, Crucial, and maybe Sabrent, at least for now anyways...

I was about to pull the trigger. But then I thought...do I really want to take apart my PC to swap out a SSD? Meh.

EDIT: Screw it - bought two, one for reach of my rigs. Can't wait to pull them apart...(sarcasm)

Last edited:
Dream on.....

Under current circumstances, this is highly unlikely to happen... I'd be happy if the just reached the $150-175 mark....I seriously doubt you'll ever see a Sammy for that, but I think it is doable for WD, Crucial, and maybe Sabrent, at least for now anyways...
Well part of the problem is the only 4TB Samsungs are the 990 pro or the 870 evo/qvo models, all the other (cheaper) ones max out at 2TB. But yeah the 990pro is just too high for what it is, I'd rather get a 970evo plus for considerably cheaper... or at least when it has been on sale it was.

I was about to pull the trigger. But then I thought...do I really want to take apart my PC to swap out a SSD? Meh.

EDIT: Screw it - bought two, one for reach of my rigs. Can't wait to pull them apart...(sarcasm)
Yea, I was gonna say that you have to now, since we know that you know that we know that you wanna, hehehe :)

Yea, I was gonna say that you have to now, since we know that you know that we know that you wanna, hehehe :)
This deal has sent me down a rabbit hole. I didn't realize we're nearly on PCI-E v5, and I'm still on PCI-E v3 with my 9900k setup. I also didn't realize that my current OS SSD is an OEM Samsung 980 Pro, which is also PCI-E 4.

Then it occurred to me that it's been ~5 years since my last CPU/Mobo upgrade, and that my previous upgrade was ~4 years before that. Then it also occurred to me that I have lots of extra cash handy at the moment. So now I'm considering a Z790 board + i9-14900k + 32GB DDR5 RAM. Then not only I'll actually be able to take advantage of the 2x 990 Pro's, but I'll also be able to take advantage of the OEM 980 Pro that I wasn't aware that I had. Then I can pass this 9900k down to my secondary rig and finally retire my 5820k, which I've had since 2014.

So...I went from spending $140, to $1200+tax. Thanks [h]otdeals for saving me money.

This deal has sent me down a rabbit hole. I didn't realize we're nearly on PCI-E v5, and I'm still on PCI-E v3 with my 9900k setup. I also didn't realize that my current OS SSD is an OEM Samsung 980 Pro, which is also PCI-E 4.

Then it occurred to me that it's been ~5 years since my last CPU/Mobo upgrade, and that my previous upgrade was ~4 years before that. Then it also occurred to me that I have lots of extra cash handy at the moment. So now I'm considering a Z790 board + i9-14900k + 32GB DDR5 RAM. Then not only I'll actually be able to take advantage of the 2x 990 Pro's, but I'll also be able to take advantage of the OEM 980 Pro that I wasn't aware that I had. Then I can pass this 9900k down to my secondary rig and finally retire my 5820k, which I've had since 2014.

So...I went from spending $140, to $1200+tax. Thanks [h]otdeals for saving me money.
Lol

He gets it.

Back