RTX 5xxx / RX 8xxx speculation

They make some 4090s that cost $3000 too
Same GPU (as you know like anyone else - any non-reference card gets a 3-5% boost MAX - not worth the BS - although I do have STRIX and a couple MSIs). 99% of 7900 XTX's are more than $800. :)

Wonder if the super line up is a strong sign of the 5000 line up upcoming pricing.

4070 super = $600
4070 Ti super = $800
4080 super = $1000

$1200 for the xx80 was probably way too high outside a mining bubble world, but can make a $999 5080 look OK too people now, now that the 7900xtx and the 4080 was at those price at some point.

Wonder if the super line up is a strong sign of the 5000 line up upcoming pricing.

4070 super = $600
4070 Ti super = $800
4080 super = $1000

$1200 for the xx80 was probably way too high outside a mining bubble world, but can make a $999 5080 look OK too people now, now that the 7900xtx and the 4080 was at those price at some point.
Pricing is an equation of leftover stocks/inventory & competition in that bracket

We know for $300-$700 we have both RDNA 4 & battlemage coming up.

However above that for large dies that require CoWoS packaging, TSMC capacity is a constraint for this entire year.
& big RDNA 5 will take 2 more years

So a bimodal pricing strategy by nvidia.

$300 - $800 very competitive

$900+ huge price increases

Competition in that bracket (will tend to include previous gen GPU), they compete with the previous gen product people already have.

I am not sure the 5080 can go huge price increase over the $1200, 4080, without being leap and bound above the 4090.

Maybe if they feel there is until 2026 AI juice to squeeze and do not mind very low volume in PC discrete card, my feeling Lovelace pricing was planned during a GPU craze, it was a bit ok because of how much Hopper worked well, but has the 4060 sold significantly cheaper than the 3060 was show, the super repricing has well, I would expect the price to go down outside the 5060 and the 5090

FWIW, worth is relative. What is worth it for one person isn't to another - and that is fine.
Too true. I spent $1749 on my MSI 4090 SuprimX, did not even bat an eye. I game at 4K max settings, only a 4090 will give me a fluid experience. I'd spend more if I had too, it's one of my main hobbies and I enjoy the best tech and graphics.

Too true. I spent $1749 on my MSI 4090 SuprimX, did not even bat an eye. I game at 4K max settings, only a 4090 will give me a fluid experience. I'd spend more if I had too, it's one of my main hobbies and I enjoy the best tech and graphics.

I hope they charge 4 grand plus for it, quotes like this just make me laugh. I hope Nvidia tests your enthusiasm to pay anything.

I hope they charge 4 grand plus for it, quotes like this just make me laugh. I hope Nvidia tests your enthusiasm to pay anything.
I mean, that seems silly in the sense of where things are priced now looking at the field of cards and technology. The 4090 is a large leap at 4K vs. the 4080. If you are gaming at 4K, you should expect a premium to max settings in games without compromise, that's simply how it is right now. I think I spent the same amount of money for my 3090 when it came out (and that was in store, not even scalper prices). I believe my 2080Ti was around $1300 in store, and before that I rocked 1080's in SLi (which were $650 a pop). Honestly, considering what I get for the resolution I game at with the settings that give me the eye candy, I've wasted more money on less over the years. I get about 10 hours of gaming in a week, so easily worth it for me considering this card will last me 2+ years easy, if not more based on nvidia's timeline for the 5xxx series.

They're halo cards for a reason. People that want the best, get the best. Not everyone needs a Lamborghini. Perhaps beyond $2k more people will drop off. We will see.

They're halo cards for a reason. People that want the best, get the best. Not everyone needs a Lamborghini. Perhaps beyond $2k more people will drop off. We will see.
I think they'll drop off at 2500, probably not 2k. I'm assuming the 5090 will be 2499 and sit as the new halo while they continue to sell 4090s considering they're still selling well.

Last edited:
Sorry I meant to say
Yeah, the challenge is we are not "competing" against gamers anymore - it's AI, devs, big data, etc as well.
There's no way the price of a 4090 is coming down or they stop making them until demand dries up. I don't see that happening any time soon.

5090 will be at least 2k. My opinion. I am not going to be gaming on pcs much longer. I am going back to consoles. Its too much money to buy video cards now. In my 20s and 30s sure. But I would rather buy ans invest in the stock market with $2,500 instead of buying some s***** ass video card to play games. My priorities have changed as I've gotten older. I just want you to know young people that yours will too. Gaming takes it back seat and you want to look and visit the world around you and not sit inside on a computer screen and do nothing but sweat and play games. I want to go to Italy and Germany and all over the UK and Europe and have fun and go all over the United States in Jamaica and the caribbean. I know longer want to sit inside a house and play video games. Just I've gotten to that point turning 49 this year. PC gaming and general gaming electronically has lost its lustre to me. Sure I'll always have a PC and some form or a console connected to the TV to geek out once in awhile but as far as this being my main hobby. Nope it's going to the wayside.

Last edited:
5090 will be at least 2k. My opinion. I am not going to be gaming on pcs much longer. I am going back to consoles. Its too much money to buy video cards now. In my 20s and 30s sure. But I would rather buy ans invest in the stock market with $2,500 instead of buying some s***** ass video card to play games. My priorities have changed as I've gotten older. I just want you to know young people that yours will too. Gaming takes it back seat and you want to look and visit the world around you and not sit inside on a computer screen and do nothing but sweat and play games. I want to go to Italy and Germany and all over the UK and Europe and have fun and go all over the United States in Jamaica and the caribbean. I know longer want to sit inside a house and play video games. Just I've gotten to that point turning 49 this year. PC gaming and general gaming electronically has lost its lustre to me. Sure I'll always have a PC and some form or a console connected to the TV to geek out once in awhile but as far as this being my main hobby. Nope it's going to the wayside.

I get you. But I'd rather spend money on a badass gaming pc than invest it, even though I don't game as much as I used to. A lot less actually.
Call me crazy but chasing money is not happiness.

I get you. But I'd rather spend money on a badass gaming pc than invest it, even though I don't game as much as I used to. A lot less actually.
Call me crazy but chasing money is not happiness.
When you have had tens if not hundreds of millions ripped from your hands ( I have, crazy story!) and have come from pure poverty, you might think different. Money, without a doubt, buys me happiness. I am not talking about the chase of money. I am talking about having a lot of money absolutely does wonders for a human being who rightfully worked for it and is a responsible loving human. Come from unhygienic, phycological horror and shit gets real quick.

Everyone is different.

Last edited:
When you have had tens if not hundreds of millions ripped from your hands and have come from pure poverty, you might think different. Money, without a doubt, buys me happiness. I am not talking about the chase of money. I am talking about having a lot of money absolutely does wonders for a human being who rightfully worked for it and is a responsible loving human. Come from unhygienic, phycological horror and shit gets real quick.

Everyone is different.

I'm sure money buys happiness to 99% of population, but I'm not going to waste my life chasing it.
I didn't have tens of millions ripped from my hands, but I come from the Balkan wars when everything was scarce and I have learned to appreciate other things besides money.

When you have had tens if not hundreds of millions ripped from your hands ( I have, crazy story!) and have come from pure poverty, you might think different. Money, without a doubt, buys me happiness. I am not talking about the chase of money. I am talking about having a lot of money absolutely does wonders for a human being who rightfully worked for it and is a responsible loving human. Come from unhygienic, phycological horror and shit gets real quick.

Everyone is different.
See, now I want to know this story TBH... lol. All that aside, $2000 every 2~3 years for a video card is not going to make a spit in the bucket difference in the stock market if you already max out your 401K or IRAs and get an average or greater return on your investments. Actually, the older you get the less this matters as the compounding interest means more when you are younger. I always tell our younger engineers to max out the 401k matching at the very least, but also not to forget to spend on fun things, travel and have fun whenever possible. There is 0 guarantee you will make it to retirement, life can be so random, so never lose sight of the enjoyment in life. Have fun with friends and family, travel to new places and buy that fancy ass video card if it is your hobby! I live to ensure there is 0% chance I will be thinking about overtime i worked for cash, or sweat I put into my job, hell no, I will be thinking about my Wife, the adventures we had traveling, and yes, my awesome gaming PCs over the years! haha.

Actually, the older you get the less this matters as the compounding interest means more when you are younger.
This for luxury like new car, expensive TV-GPU, the older you get the more they make sense because smaller the impact of consuming instead of investing get.

Paying insurance on a new car at 23 make a giant difference versus what that could be easily worth after 45-50 years of compounding interest, closer or after retirement incredibly less.

Gaming on console vs PC would not tend to be that big of a deal, specially once you put in the cheap sales, free Epic titles, etc... that I imagine (maybe wrongly) to be more common on PC, specially if you are in the I would have a PC anyway for something else I just have a stronger GPU than otherwise scenarios. A bit like console get cheaper if you would have a fancy TV anyway versus if you buy it to play games.

I wonder what the chance is of Nvidia pulling another 2080Ti BS?
High price, crap performance, but "justified" because new tech (RT), which in this case would be much higher RT performance, but low raster performance.
I think AMD surprised Nvidia this gen that's why 4090 was released. Nvidia thought 7900 XTX would be much faster and of course AMD didn't deliver and we have a card that is way above the 2nd fastest card.
The chance of 2080Ti repeating might be pretty high.

Multi card installs will be back, multi gpu will appear as a single gpu to software.

High price, crap performance, but "justified" because new tech (RT),
If we define high price to be and crap performance a $1700 for a 15% gain over a 4090 (the 2080ti was +20% a 2080, +30% a 1080Ti), I can see that possible, not necessarily likely, but possible.

Samsung 8nm to TSMC 5nm could end up a much bigger deal than going to Tsmc 3nm, DDR-7 could not work or be ready in volume in time and they could want to make it a bit smaller to distinguish it more from the pro-line to attract less attention and ban on them. If DDR7 deliver, it make it way less likely.

Outside the transformer replacement or evolution or coworker (like Mamba) needing something different hardware wise (and even then, to be ready on launch...), something new that could justify a buy (used in an announced game-product if not launching at the same time) would have been kept secret quite well.

I wonder what the chance is of Nvidia pulling another 2080Ti BS?
High price, crap performance, but "justified" because new tech (RT), which in this case would be much higher RT performance, but low raster performance.
I think AMD surprised Nvidia this gen that's why 4090 was released. Nvidia thought 7900 XTX would be much faster and of course AMD didn't deliver and we have a card that is way above the 2nd fastest card.
The chance of 2080Ti repeating might be pretty high.
The 2080 Ti was still on 16nm, which is why the performance uplift wasn't there. It was basically a 1080 Ti with 20% more CUDA cores and first generation RT cores. Turing was the proof-of-concept making its way onto the consumer market in solving the "chicken and egg" problem for ray tracing. Blackwell is both a new architecture and a smaller node, so the performance uplift should be much greater.

Some random thoughts:
  • Really hope the rumors of AMD abandoning the high end are not true... they made such a good impact with the RX 6000 series, and then obviously stumbled a bit with RX 7000. We need a strong AMD to maintain a foothold and give NV some decent competition
  • Pricing will only go up - as a few others have mentioned, we (gamers) are competing with researchers and big corporations (example) with much deeper pockets. Every GPU that AMD/NV sell at "consumer" prices, is a GPU they could probably sell to businesses at a higher price
  • I hope power demands are reigned in a bit, particularly by AMD; RX 7000 is one hungry momma

Last edited:
AMD is now selling the cheapest navi 31 for $550 & the costliest navi 32 for $480

The navi 48 is supposed to have chip size of navi 32 & performance of navi 31. So maybe launch in the same price bracket of $480 to $550 ??

MLID has sources who reckon the RX 7900 GRE will be on shelves in the US as soon as February 27, the start of next week. It's pretty much being rushed out of the door by AMD, and it'll be priced at $549.

it does relatively well for power efficiency compared to the 7800 XT. Also, MLID notes the GRE will probably age better than the latter, and perhaps be slightly faster than the 7800 XT to the tune of 5% or so eventually (it's more or less a dead heat currently).

Read more: https://www.tweaktown.com/news/9641...-china-no-ones-that-bothered-about/index.html

we're told to expect low stock levels at least initially - and it sounds like AMD is testing the waters more than anything. MLID has heard that if the RX 7900 GRE shifts well enough, then Team Red will be beefing up stock levels (which makes sense - as much as available silicon will allow, anyway).

Apparently, we can expect RX 7900 GRE graphics cards from ASRock, PowerColor and XFX. (And oddly, not GIGABYTE, which was the board maker that VideoCardz has mentioned as having an inbound version of the 7900 GRE - although maybe that'll come soon after, or MLID's source has it wrong).

(which makes sense - as much as available silicon will allow, anyway).

To a point, $550 for 530mm of chips on a 256 bits board, it is still a wanted to be a 7900xtx/Radeon PRO W7900 Navi 31 being used, the whole point of chiplet and smaller GCD on a mature process would have been high yield for the XT-XTX in exchange for all the trouble and performance hit. Nvidia is selling 294mm-192 bits bus 4070 super at an higher price that beat this....

If it a dead heat with a 7800xt it would make little sense for the buyer and a bit of yield failure on the side of the maker it seems to me if this ever has the kind of volume to go to that kind of price, more of an as much sadly available silicon force you than allow kind of things.

Those price maybe make sense for very bottom of the barrel chips (core that work, frequency they can reach, etc...) you cannot afford to just throw away and maybe not representative of price that make sense for an actual product line.

AMD is now selling the cheapest navi 31 for $550 & the costliest navi 32 for $480

The navi 48 is supposed to have chip size of navi 32 & performance of navi 31. So maybe launch in the same price bracket of $480 to $550 ??
RGT claims that navi 44 would be die size of 6500xt & navi 48 similar to 6600xt.

That should mean the price of top navi 44 should be around $250 & top navi 48 around $500

I don't think that's how generational advancements are priced...

People are already speculating that AMD could price the lowest die configured with the minimum amount of RAM (8 gigs?) as low as $199. The top die with the highest clocks and the most RAM is expected to be under $600.

If they don't fuck this up it could be another Polaris moment for them (in the good sense).

People are already speculating that AMD could price the lowest die configured with the minimum amount of RAM (8 gigs?) as low as $199. The top die with the highest clocks and the most RAM is expected to be under $600.

If they don't fuck this up it could be another Polaris moment for them (in the good sense).
This would put two new GPUs in my house if true

he top die with the highest clocks and the most RAM is expected to be under $600.
If the rumors to be around a 7900xt in performance, could that be a bit better GRE for a bit more money ? Say something +15% performance, +8GB vram for +10% price....

Considering the GRE was already moving the needle in price-perf, not bad at all obviously, but would sound modest.

If it would be $450, that would be a game changer, if they go near $600 almost feel it would need to be a significantly higher than a 7900xt perf wise (currently new one goes as low has $700 already) to matter.

Last edited:
If the rumors to be around a 7900xt in performance, could that be a bit better GRE for a bit more money ? Say something +15% performance, +8GB vram for +10% price....

Considering the GRE was already moving the needle in price-perf, not bad at all obviously, but would sound modest.

If it would be $450, that would be a game changer, if they go near $600 almost feel it would need to be a 790xt by a good amount (currently new as low has $700) to matter.

I honestly doubt we are going to get rnda for top end at $450. I think their target is up to 7900xtx raster or in between that and 7900xt. And uplift in raster. I think $450 is just hope and dreams. if they really wanted to bring it out they probably put the top one at $599.99-699.99 and replace everything under it with cut down. That will still be a killer price with raster and then raytracing uplift and power efficiency. They do have to get that out this year though to have any benefit probably a year before Blackwell. Looks like nvidia is all out on Ai and gaming is probably going to wait a bit longer for refresh.

Back