Rocketfish (Lian Li) Case Wiring

Ah okay. Thanks for the pictures guys...

I plan on doing a window mod to this case and installing 2 Blue UV CCFLs in the case for all of my UV reactive cables and newly purchased sleeved ones.

Where do you think is the best place to put them if i have 2 and i will have a window mod? One below the window and one underneath the mobo tray?

Im almost tempted to return this thing right now instead of exchange for a better one.

Can you peel off the Rocketfish logo? I like my cases plain with no emblems.

Can you peel off the Rocketfish logo? I like my cases plain with no emblems.

It is plain. logo is smaller than your thumb and appears to be lasered into the case, very clean lookin.

I picked one up and opened it up but I wasn't too impressed. It looks good but big IMO. Can anyone argue to me why I should keep this massive case over like a p182?

That is the same debate that I am going through. I bought the rocketfish case because it has lots of room its 95% Lian Li case for 77$ and yeah. My P182 does great very quiet fits all my stuff in there. With the RocketFish case it would be funy as I only have 2 hdds' 1 cdrom 1 video card and psu with mobo lol would look empty. Only reason I see for keeping it is maybe someday if I watercool ;)

That is the same debate that I am going through. I bought the rocketfish case because it has lots of room its 95% Lian Li case for 77$ and yeah. My P182 does great very quiet fits all my stuff in there. With the RocketFish case it would be funy as I only have 2 hdds' 1 cdrom 1 video card and psu with mobo lol would look empty. Only reason I see for keeping it is maybe someday if I watercool ;)

Which is why i kept this case. :D

I switched to the rocketfish for weight reasons mostly, and to give my self a little more room to stretch out (computer part wise of course). I seem to be dragging my desktop everywhere these days, and carrying a P182 everywhere is just lame. Makes me want to throw it down some stairs. Don't get me wrong the P182 is a nice case... quiet, well built, and decent amount of room but it had quite a few sacrifices I didn't want to make anymore.

im gonna head to BB to check it out .. i currently have a tj09 but there is just not enough room

Quick question to those that own the case,

How quiet is it? Comparisons to other cases you own, what fans you're using, hard drive vibration, etc...

its silent compared to my old case the antec 900.

other than that its a bit louder than a whisper.

my roommate just replaced the fans in his and now you can't even hear it any more.

that's awesome! i really wanna get one to replace my tj06. that case is sweet, but its too loud, and i want a full alu case. im still sorta sad that you cant fit any wires behind the mobo tray of the rocketfish :(

that's awesome! i really wanna get one to replace my tj06. that case is sweet, but its too loud, and i want a full alu case. im still sorta sad that you cant fit any wires behind the mobo tray of the rocketfish :(

You potentially could... just have to cut some holes and have flat wires... :)

Fans are pretty quiet, and as for drive noise, the HDD screws have rubber "doughnuts" wrapped around them.

It's funny--the instructions show you where to place a locking screw into the drive cage for moving the computer around because the rubberized mounting screws just slide into place on tracks. But I tried to wiggle the drives around after sliding them into place, and the rubber mounts have grooves in them that grip the tracks so tightly, they weren't going anywhere. I think I can live without the locking screws.

Anyone do a window mod on this case yet?

You should be able to buy PC-7x and G-7x panels to fit... I really really doubt that LianLi made panels just for this case. The inside rear and bottom I could understand... but the side/top/front panels are all brushed aluminum...

I just got one of these from my local BB in Memphis and it was 47.99!!!! They had one left after I got mine. I tried to get one a couple weeks ago at the $72 but they wouldn't honor it!!! I'm very glad now....

It's definitely a Lain li case even says so on a sticker on the box. This is the biggest case I've ever seen it freakin HUGE but it is a very nice case with some very cool features for the price.

YEa for the price it can't be beat... the ONLY thing holding me back from getting it is the freaking HUGE size...arg!

It's gigantic!

-Nigel

I get paid on Wednesday and I'll be pickin one of these babies up that afternoon!

Well after having this case for a couple weeks i only have one complaint.

That is the fans.
It seems as if the front intake fan doesn't work properly in my case, it will only power with a molex connector. I guess the issue could be with my mobo, but at any rate the fans in there are worth swapping out for quieter fans(not that they are noisy by any means but quieter is better).

Well after having this case for a couple weeks i only have one complaint.

That is the fans.
It seems as if the front intake fan doesn't work properly in my case, it will only power with a molex connector. I guess the issue could be with my mobo, but at any rate the fans in there are worth swapping out for quieter fans(not that they are noisy by any means but quieter is better).

I swapped my fans out...

In order to take the front panel off, there are 4 screws, 2 on each side at the top and bottom... really small black screws...

Took me ever to figure it out :eek: I just started unscrewing every screw I could find because the manual / nothing on the internet told me otherwise.

Just got one for $48 @ the Mayfield Heights, OH location.

And yes, it is massive. I'm still amazed at how almost every part of the case can be unscrewed ... never actually worked on a Lian-Li before. :)

Got one, too.
Had the CM690 before, which actually offered more options for the wiring.

The CM690 was better engineered (wiring), but the overall built quality of this Rocketfish is superior.
And it is quiet, the CM690 wasn't actually a case, because of all the holes. :D

You should be able to buy PC-7x and G-7x panels to fit... I really really doubt that LianLi made panels just for this case. The inside rear and bottom I could understand... but the side/top/front panels are all brushed aluminum...

I am still trying to find a fit. COULD ANYONE HELP?

Oh, btw here is what my wiring looks like...

P3070562.jpg

You should be able to run those sata cables under the drives and out the back of the HDD cage... as long as they're ~ 24" I had to use 36" cables for my left cage, but 24" was fine for the right... then again I had a SATA controller card that was further back than your sata ports.. :)

I kinda wanted to go with the frontal attack with those cables because they are UV reactive and will look nice if they are more visible.

Haha, alright, I think it'd still look nice and clean going that route...

But up to you :)

This case really seems like it could do with some top mounted intake fans. How hard do you think it would be to cut the top open for a 3x120mm intake grill?

hmm wonder if thermochill pa120.3 will fit up top, looks like it might with 25mm wide fans.

How is the front fan mounted for everyone? I wired up the box last night and the power cord for the front fan comes out of the fan at the very bottom corner, so the lead without the molex doesn't reach the motherboard fan header, looks like it's front panel off time and turn it around.

Also, I'm thinking about picking up two of the EX-23NBs, they look like they'll fit, anyone try them yet? I'd like to be able to get 14 hard drives in this thing.

http://www.performance-pcs.com/catalog/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=257&products_id=21872

I ended up routing my PSU cables through the first HDD cage. Looking into designing and cutting a black piece of cardboard or plastic for the cage to conceal the mess beneath. :p

Beyond that, I'm too much an admirer of Lian-Li's design to even consider taking a dremel or tin snips to the motherboard tray. Everything's just so purdy ...

I bought one of these today at the Grapevine, TX BestBuy for $47.99. They had 2 left after I got mine.
Just got my system in it, will worry about making it pretty later. This thing is huge! Its deeper than my desk!

I would have posted in the Hot Deals topic, but i dont have a high enough thread count, so i'll just give some impressions here:

-I purchased this for $48 at a best buy in Montclair, CA (after calling around a bit)

-The case is really excellent quality, but it certainly is as big as it looks online (if not bigger)

-Very solid case, but also very light and mobile. Quite surprising, but i guess this is to be expected of a Lian Li.

-The door looks as if it may be removable, but it certainly does not look easy to replace once its off.

I'll throw more impressions in here once i get something running inside. I just wanted to let everyone know that there are still some cases out there to be had, so call around a bit. These sweet things are certainly with your Fifty Bucks, easily the most impressive case i've ever had / seen in person.

I'm running mine without the door. The door seems to rattle when my opticals are in use. Plus, I taped up all the extra holes.

Back