Radeon RX 7800 XT Reviews

I’ve been using a 7900 XT since may and have never experienced the issue you’re posting about. All I’ve experienced is shockingly high overclocks and astounding performance.
I use all 4 outputs on my RX6800, seems to occur when you use multiple monitors, and only happens on the HDMI port. For some turning off FreeSync fixed it, or changing the refresh rate up or down a little did, for me, none of the fixes work. Happens when using browsers or during gaming.

Amazon is listing October 3rd shipping dates. I ordered one thinking fine I can wait a month and cancel if I find a better deal in the meantime. Within like 16 hours Amazon sent me an email updating delivery date to September 15-20. I take it that they are just being conservative and then shipping sooner when stock comes in.

Amazon is listing October 3rd shipping dates. I ordered one thinking fine I can wait a month and cancel if I find a better deal in the meantime. Within like 16 hours Amazon sent me an email updating delivery date to September 15-20. I take it that they are just being conservative and then shipping sooner when stock comes in.
That's what they were doing last winter with the xfx 7900xtx I bought that was shipped by amazon and sold through a store that is owned by xfx. It was predicted to ship in about a month but only took like 2 weeks, xfx was doing that until supply caught up to demand and experiences tended to vary but everyone I saw comment said they got it at least a little quicker than it was supposed to get there.

I got the XFX reference alike version of the 7900 XT, the one that looks exactly like AMD’s reference card, basic stock cooler. The “boost clock” of the core was set to 2400mhz stock, after some fun experimentation I found the core stable up to 3266mhz, not too shabby. Got the memory up to 2833, managed to get the second highest score for one of the RT benches in 3DMark for my GPU. I think you’re just regurgitating what you heard someone else say online. You should get some first hand experience.
What FPS gains are you experiencing?

I use all 4 outputs on my RX6800, seems to occur when you use multiple monitors, and only happens on the HDMI port. For some turning off FreeSync fixed it, or changing the refresh rate up or down a little did, for me, none of the fixes work. Happens when using browsers or during gaming.
Hmm I have 3 monitors plugged in and it seems okay. I did notice some flickering on RDNA 2, I was never sure if it was the cable or the card. It was like once an hour or so. I did notice it improve when I dumped my old DP 1.4 cables that I assumed were high quality from mono price (some braided stuff). I still use them on an old machine, but I have brand new cables and everything is OK on RDNA 3. Obviously can't test my 6800 XT anymore, I sold it.

Last edited:
Both 23.9.1 and 23.9.2 are buggy in 3DMark. Hopefully they can get it straightened out within a few more updates. So far I have the top Graphics score of anyone in 3DMark Firestrike +Extreme +Ultra and Timespy +Extreme. 23.9.2 introduced a bug fix for core clocks along with a regression for memory clocks so my scores are much lower now.

Attachments

• 2023-09-23.png
    2023-09-23.png
    127.8 KB · Views: 0
Is that specifically related to AMD CPUs in the mix? My 12600K system seems to be reporting the GPU clocks.

Screenshot 2023-09-24 110921.png

That was from a 9/10 run, so right after I got the card. I double-checked my Firestrike run and clocks were reported fine there, too.

-bZj

Is that specifically related to AMD CPUs in the mix? My 12600K system seems to be reporting the GPU clocks.

View attachment 600930

That was from a 9/10 run, so right after I got the card. I double-checked my Firestrike run and clocks were reported fine there, too.

-bZj
23.9.1 has a weird way of controlling max GPU clocks. "Minimum Frequency" +25 MHz or so is actually the Maximum frequency. 23.9.2 fixes that and lets Max Frequency work instead. Problem is now the VRAM clockspeeds are throttling down in 3DMark so performance is worse overall. Look at the chart that plots VRAM clocks it's very strange in 23.9.2.

Attachments

• Screenshot 2023-09-21 194301.png
    Screenshot 2023-09-21 194301.png
    134.2 KB · Views: 0
What'z the over all consensus with OC'ing these? Anything diff then what say an average 6800XT did?
Do they under volt same/better/worse the last gen? Boost higher etc...
Enquirey minds want to know

What'z the over all consensus with OC'ing these? Anything diff then what say an average 6800XT did?
Do they under volt same/better/worse the last gen? Boost higher etc...
Enquirey minds want to know
I haven't tested 24/7 overclocking yet because I've been busy OCing my CPU. In terms of barely stable benchmark only I can go all the way down from stock 1150mv to 890mv for 3DMark. TechPowerUp got down to an amazing 850mv with their sample but that's got to be a lottery winner. I don't see anyone else getting close to that. If these BIOSes weren't so damn locked down it would have even more headroom. When I managed to bug it with slow VRAM clocks I noticed something crazy. I could get an extra 100MHz out of the cores totally stable all because the VRAM was using less power out of the total power budget. I could also go 5mv lower on the cores using this method. That means if the drivers exposed a +20% or +25% power limit instead of the measly +15% we get right now those clocks would be achievable without introducing the VRAM bug. I miss the old days when we could edit the BIOS to expand the power limit. That or the RDNA1 days when the drivers had a +/- 50% slider for power limit.

Attachments

• Screenshot 2023-09-21 200838_crop.png
    Screenshot 2023-09-21 200838_crop.png
    132.8 KB · Views: 0
I haven't tested 24/7 overclocking yet because I've been busy OCing my CPU. In terms of barely stable benchmark only I can go all the way down from stock 1150mv to 890mv for 3DMark. TechPowerUp got down to an amazing 850mv with their sample but that's got to be a lottery winner. I don't see anyone else getting close to that. If these BIOSes weren't so damn locked down it would have even more headroom. When I managed to bug it with slow VRAM clocks I noticed something crazy. I could get an extra 100MHz out of the cores totally stable all because the VRAM was using less power out of the total power budget. I could also go 5mv lower on the cores using this method. That means if the drivers exposed a +20% or +25% power limit instead of the measly +15% we get right now those clocks would be achievable without introducing the VRAM bug. I miss the old days when we could edit the BIOS to expand the power limit. That or the RDNA1 days when the drivers had a +/- 50% slider for power limit.
I don’t believe 3D Mark’s clock speed graphs. It said my 7800X3D was PBOing to 5.4ghz. It wasn’t.

I've had the Gigabyte OC Gaming 7800XT for a few weeks now. Overall it's a solid card for the most demanding game I play (Cyberpunk 2077 with RT enabled at, I think, quality settings, 55 FPS average) but I have driver stability issues with the latest drivers AMD released. If I use the latest drivers, 2077 crashes after 1-5 minutes of gameplay, as does Deus Ex: Mankind Divided and several other games I tested. Could also be my PSU (600W) but my overall system power is really low, so I think it's drivers.

I've had the Gigabyte OC Gaming 7800XT for a few weeks now. Overall it's a solid card for the most demanding game I play (Cyberpunk 2077 with RT enabled at, I think, quality settings, 55 FPS average) but I have driver stability issues with the latest drivers AMD released. If I use the latest drivers, 2077 crashes after 1-5 minutes of gameplay, as does Deus Ex: Mankind Divided and several other games I tested. Could also be my PSU (600W) but my overall system power is really low, so I think it's drivers.

Just use the older drivers, I don't update the drivers unless I am having issues or a new game came out that I need the driver for. But 600 watts is on the edge under heavy load.

What the rest of your machine? 600 seems low (great name btw).

Keep in mind that the 7800 XT Gaming OC runs a much higher power target, than the AMD reference.

I believe the Gaming OC is 290-ish watts. And its power usage does not change if you switch to the non-OC bios. Whereas AMD reference is 263w.

This is all good to know. I was actually wondering if my PSU was underpowered. I'm running an old Ryzen 2700, 16GB of RAM, 1 old SATA 7200RPM disk, 1 SATA SSDs and one M.2. Stock cooler on the CPU in an open-air case. I'm looking at upgrading to a 7700 or waiting to see what the 8700x looks like in terms of price/performance. I could upgrade my PSU at that time as well.

The main reason I thought it was driver is that everything is stable while still pulling just over 300w on my 7800XT at peak, but as soon as I install the latest driver, games crash. I've been out of the PC tinkering space for years now (more than a decade I think) so if you're all seeing something I'm not I'll listen when I upgrade my PC next year (or at black Friday if the deals are good enough).

power draw.png

I find it funny that nobody is talking about the black screen crashes on these with Freesync and VRR enabled. 7600, 7800XT, 7700XT affected primarily and it's not even on the list of known issues from AMD.

Then perhaps it's not really a big issue, few posts I have seen about it were mostly caused by cable issues or the TV/monitor itself. Go to any forum even that vaunted Nvidia one and you got complaints about issues on their hardware. If it actually makes the news on multiple sites then yeah it's probably a issue many are dealing with. I think this one was a bigger issue
https://www.zdnet.com/article/warning-nvidia-196-75-drivers-can-kill-your-graphics-card/
Nah, AMD just paying the press to cover it up. Obviously.

Then perhaps it's not really a big issue, few posts I have seen about it were mostly caused by cable issues or the TV/monitor itself. Go to any forum even that vaunted Nvidia one and you got complaints about issues on their hardware. If it actually makes the news on multiple sites then yeah it's probably a issue many are dealing with. I think this one was a bigger issue
https://www.zdnet.com/article/warning-nvidia-196-75-drivers-can-kill-your-graphics-card/

I have two 7800 XTs with the same issue right here. A Sapphire Pure 7800XT in my son's machine and a Steel Legend 7800XT in my PC. All drivers from 23.9.3 and current exhibit the same issue. There are only 3 drivers available for this GPU. Its a huge issue and its now starting to blow up on the AMD forums and Reddit the more people adopt this GPU. It needs fixed, not just "Oh well, not that big of a deal just bandaid it." Total BS when you are spending +$500 for a GPU. I work for disty and I will definitely say one thing. Nvidia GPUs outsell 20:1 to AMD. AMD needs to get their act together ASAP. They have great cards, they need a software team that will be able to validate these issues. I would love to sell more AMD.

I have two 7800 XTs with the same issue right here. A Sapphire Pure 7800XT in my son's machine and a Steel Legend 7800XT in my PC. All drivers from 23.9.3 and current exhibit the same issue. There are only 3 drivers available for this GPU. Its a huge issue and its now starting to blow up on the AMD forums and Reddit the more people adopt this GPU. It needs fixed, not just "Oh well, not that big of a deal just bandaid it." Total BS when you are spending +$500 for a GPU. I work for disty and I will definitely say one thing. Nvidia GPUs outsell 20:1 to AMD. AMD needs to get their act together ASAP. They have great cards, they need a software team that will be able to validate these issues. I would love to sell more AMD.

Have you created a thread asking for help with it on here? Like I said most people I have seen with this issue it was a setting that the monitor did not like in freesync. Also seen the issue if your trying to use freesync premium mode and the monitor is not certified premium. Do you experience the issue with freesync off?

As for Nvidia selling more then AMD, everyone is aware of that, but I have seen plenty of people blame AMD for something that was not their fault on the drivers. However you can't be a hardware enthusiast without something causing you grief at some point, it's just so much better then it used to be back in the day.

Have you created a thread asking for help with it on here? Like I said most people I have seen with this issue it was a setting that the monitor did not like in freesync. Also seen the issue if your trying to use freesync premium mode and the monitor is not certified premium. Do you experience the issue with freesync off?

As for Nvidia selling more then AMD, everyone is aware of that, but I have seen plenty of people blame AMD for something that was not their fault on the drivers. However you can't be a hardware enthusiast without something causing you grief at some point, it's just so much better then it used to be back in the day.

Why do I need help when I can just call the sources myself? Done and Done. I know exactly what happened, they fixed the multimonitor power consumption issues on the 7900xt/x, then applied that same fix to the entire product stack not thinking it could have different parameters. They need to adjust the parameters for Navi 32 and Navi 33 cards and viola, problem solved.

I've seen speculation it may be due to some displays not following VESA spec for the "blanking" period. And it causes a problem with how Radeon cards adjust VRAM and GPU core clock speeds.

I'm a little disappointed; I was hoping this would be closer to the 7900XT. Where my 2080ti gets 60fps at 1440p the 7800XT is only getting ~75fps. Add in ray tracing and it's performance drops to match the 2080ti. I'd like to jump back to 3440x1440 120fps but it looks like that will still require a 4070ti/7900XT or better to really get there most of the time.

I'm a little disappointed; I was hoping this would be closer to the 7900XT. Where my 2080ti gets 60fps at 1440p the 7800XT is only getting ~75fps. Add in ray tracing and it's performance drops to match the 2080ti. I'd like to jump back to 3440x1440 120fps but it looks like that will still require a 4070ti/7900XT or better to really get there most of the time.
Also may require running "old games" or "low end games". Newer titles might prevent "the experience" you're wanting.

Also may require running "old games" or "low end games". Newer titles might prevent "the experience" you're wanting.
Idk I run a 7900XT with a 7800X3D and I get 120+fps in Starfield. Add in bullshit frame insertion and I’m seeing up to 300 fps. MW2 gets nearly 200fps at ultra wide 1440p. Those are pretty new games.

Which games? 7800 XT should be about 20% better. However, there are a couple of games which massively favor Nvidia GPUs.

Which games? 7800 XT should be about 20% better. However, there are a couple of games which massively favor Nvidia GPUs.

About all of them. 20% isn't a big enough uplift for $500; especially considering I'd also lose DLSS. I'll wait and see if the 7900XTX / 4080 ever drop in price.

Hi! I'd like to ask how wide spread is coil whine on RX 7800 XT cards, all possible models included. I exchanged my Gigabyte RTX 4070 Windforce OC for Powercolor RX 7800 XT Hellhound and I simply never had such constant coil whine. Even on desktop there is a faint whine or pretty audible depending on what's going on, and in games the whine is pretty bad even capped at 144 FPS. This is not the loudest or the most annoying whine I've heard, but it's strange to me how even a small amount of power to the card can trigger it. Have others here experienced the same, possibly on RX 7800 XT? I wish that the retailer will swap this card to a new one or to another model, because I really don't want to put up with it. Many of my previous cards have whined at high FPS numbers, like 200 or above, or at boot, in game menus - whenever, which is not a problem for me, but such constant whine is not fun. I doubt it is my PSU since the Hellhound model consumes in typical gaming less than 10 W more than my previous GPU Sapphire RX 5700 XT Nitro+, so it seems it's just the card, but I have read the chain of components can affect the problem. The basic question is though, are there models less prone to whine than others or are RX 7800 XT cards generally whiny, or perhaps they are just as usual but I happen to be unlucky.

Merry Christmas to all!

Last edited:
Hi! I'd like to ask how wide spread is coil whine on RX 7800 XT cards, all possible models included. I exchanged my Gigabyte RTX 4070 Windforce OC for Powercolor RX 7800 XT Hellhound and I simply never had such constant coil whine. Even on desktop there is a faint whine or pretty audible depending on what's going on, and in games the whine is pretty bad even capped at 144 FPS. This is not the loudest or the most annoying whine I've heard, but it's strange to me how even a small amount of power to the card can trigger it. Have others here experienced the same, possibly on RX 7800 XT? I wish that the retailer will swap this card to a new one or to another model, because I really don't want to put up with it. Many of my previous cards have whined at high FPS numbers, like 200 or above, or at boot, in game menus - whenever, which is not a problem for me, but such constant whine is not fun. I doubt it is my PSU since the Hellhound model consumes in typical gaming less than 10 W more than my previous GPU Sapphire RX 5700 XT Nitro+, so it seems it's just the card, but I have read the chain of components can affect the problem. The basic question is though, are there models less prone to whine than others or are RX 7800 XT cards generally whiny, or perhaps they are just as usual but I happen to be unlucky. My rig is on my 'about page'.

Merry Christmas to all!
Every card is existence has coil whine, you not noticing it means you can't notice it in your case and with that particular model.

Every card is existence has coil whine, you not noticing it means you can't notice it in your case and with that particular model.
Where lays the difference then? Surely some units are noisier than others. What's your personal experience? If I get a another Hellhound in return I think there is a major chance it's going to make audible whining noise only when truly stressed, unlike my current one. I'm not expecting a totally whine free card like I stated.

Where lays the difference then? Surely some units are noisier than others. What's your personal experience? If I get a another Hellhound in return I think there is a major chance it's going to make audible whining noise only when truly stressed, unlike my current one. I'm not expecting a totally whine free card like I stated.

I've gone through like 5 different 7000 series cards, a bunch of 7900XTX and I have one 7800XTX right now. My 7900XTX Hellhound was the 2nd worst coil whine I've ever heard in 20+ years of GPUs, only behind the Asus 4090 TUF I had at one point for a friends build.

I currently own the 7800XTX Hellhound and its very quiet, there is a little bit of buzz but I can only hear it when I put my ear in the case, its not a high pitched frequency so not noticeable at all unless I have it on the test bench with only 1 fan running.

New cards in 2023 seem to all be a total crapshoot for the coil whine.

LigTasm Thanks for this piece of info. May I still ask if you meant the card has a low whine idle or under stress, possibly producing frames uncapped?

LigTasm Thanks for this piece of info. May I still ask if you meant the card has a low whine idle or under stress, possibly producing frames uncapped?

Under stress, but its really small. I have to stick my head in the case to hear it, and honestly my 240hz monitor has way more electronic noises coming out of it. I've had it on 3 different PSU platforms too and it hasn't changed, some cards make more noise depending on the power supply. I got rid of my last EVGA unit because it made my cards go nuts, but the Corsair I replaced it with had no issues.

I am extremely sensitive to these noises and I've probably returned a ton of cards for it by now, probably more than I should as its not really "broken".

Back