Radeon RX 7800 XT Reviews

Link to buy 7800 xt can be found here in case anyone is looking after digesting the reviews. Currently the AMD website shows out of stock for the reference card.

Interesting that AMD is going with dual fans on their referance models mentally segmenting it in their line-up to the old 6700 class.

Seems ok. Somewhat competes with itself (that is, AMD competing with their prior gen), but nothing we didn't already know or anticipate. It's new and should keep its value for a bit as a worthy mid tier card.

If you have "new" and want "new", it's an ok choice IMHO.

It's "better" if you compare to Nivida. Then it really shines (value wise).

Personally, I would have continued to drop pricing on the 7900xt and xtx though. But probably there was a quality (yield) "need" for these.

Have they fixed the HDMI output random screen flickering issue that has been around since the 5 series they claimed they fixed....which they have not.

According to Moore law the days 1 sales are really good, he made a very short complete turn around (couple of weeks he was saying that if the rumours of a only 60CU 7800xt were real, AMD would be completely stupid but did not believed them), now it is a blueprint for AMD success.

Last edited:
Only going by the "Big-guys", GN shows the older 6800XT (custom) beating the 7800XT. They chose to run an Intel 12700K system.
HUB shows the 7800XT with the lead. But they won't divulge the test system specs unless money$$. (sad)
Quite a diff between the two. Why?
Are those cunts making me go to LTT for the ultra definitive review!!!

Yeah, ol' Linus is giving me the down-low right now....

Gotta trust somebody. Since I got in before they sold out, and my RX7800XT will be here on Friday....

But, seriously, the 6800XT & 7800XT do seem to trade blows, depending on the reviewer.

-bZj

Have they fixed the HDMI output random screen flickering issue that has been around since the 5 series they claimed they fixed....which they have not.
I never had that problem, with a reference 6700 XT and a Gigabyte 6600 XT. 2 different monitors and an 1080p HDTV from like 2011. (Yes I was using HDMI with monitors, because of a capture card.)
Only going by the "Big-guys", GN shows the older 6800XT (custom) beating the 7800XT. They chose to run an Intel 12700K system.
HUB shows the 7800XT with the lead. But they won't divulge the test system specs unless money$$. (sad)
Quite a diff between the two. Why?
Are those cunts making me go to LTT for the ultra definitive review!!!
Hardware unboxed states their system specs. They messed up the chapter marks on their video timeline. Its a 7800X3D based system.

I suspect the games which have decently sized wins from the 6800 XT, will be closed down, by driver improvements for the 7800 XT.

Seems like AMD pulled an Nvidia (4080 12GB to 4070Ti, gimped mem bus across the board compared to last gen equivalent cards) this gen too and are trying to upsell the 7800 as a 7800 XT, considering the 7800 XT has the same specs as the 6800 for the most part; same GPU/RT core count, mem bus, and similar TDP. So will there be a vanilla 7800 now, or are they going to make a 7800 XTX replace the previous gen XT name? lol

https://www.pcgamer.com/amd-radeon-...-radeon-rx-7800-xt-benchmarks-and-performance

Edit: Looks okay *in some games*... but, when you compare power efficiency. Ouch. The only reason to go AMD is price - and I think the only worthy card of consideration is the 7900 XTX and that is a power hog while being hot too. AFAIK.... Definitely wouldn't OC those.
The price on the 7800 XT is good. It trades with RTX 4070 and costs $100 less. And, while Nvidia's cards are indeed VERY power efficient: AMD's new cards still beat both AMD's and Nvidia's last gen cards solidly, in power efficiency.

According to Moore law the days 1 sales are really good, he made a very short complete turn around (couple of weeks he was saying that if the rumours of a 60CU 7800xt was real, AMD would be completely stupid but did not believed them), now it is a blueprint for AMD success.

Probably to be expected, the 7800XT looks reasonable compared to all the $800+ cards so it should sell well for people who don't want to buy "last gen" tech. Its faster than its Nvidia competition apparently, and cheaper too.

Trades blows with the 6800 xt, costs the same, but uses 50 fewer watts. Lol.

This is indeed a weird situation. As I mentioned in the YT comments this is just a spit polished 6800XT. But in this bizarro world of a GPU market this card is an excellent value.

6800XT is still a monster of a GPU that used to be almost 1000€ card on release but after price cuts (and how shitty deal RTX4000 serie has turned out to be) they became an excellent deal. These days new RX 6800 XT cards are becoming rarer and rarer but thanks to the 7800XT the good deals continue for now. 👍

Last edited:
The only real issue with the 7800 XT is the 4060 Ti pricing. Since it walks the 4060 Ti in performance, all they have to match that price and AMD wins.

Seems ok. Somewhat competes with itself (that is, AMD competing with their prior gen), but nothing we didn't already know or anticipate. It's new and should keep its value for a bit as a worthy mid tier card.

If you have "new" and want "new", it's an ok choice IMHO.

It's "better" if you compare to Nivida. Then it really shines (value wise).

Personally, I would have continued to drop pricing on the 7900xt and xtx though. But probably there was a quality (yield) "need" for these.
When did 500$ become mid tier this hobby is getting to expensive

My thoughts exactly! Haven't ordered the 6800xt yet because I didn't want to spend $500. But kind of looks like I'm going to have to spend that much to get that or this or anything else decent. Cause Starfield looks like crap on my RX580.

My thoughts exactly! Haven't ordered the 6800xt yet because I didn't want to spend $500. But kind of looks like I'm going to have to spend that much to get that or this or anything else decent. Cause Starfield looks like crap on my RX580.

Jesus christ you are still on RX580!? Polaris? Even Intels GPUs are a clear upgrade if you are on a budget.

Last edited:
I’ve been using a 7900 XT since may and have never experienced the issue you’re posting about. All I’ve experienced is shockingly high overclocks and astounding performance.

https://www.pcgamer.com/amd-radeon-...-radeon-rx-7800-xt-benchmarks-and-performance

Edit: Looks okay *in some games*... but, when you compare power efficiency. Ouch. The only reason to go AMD is price - and I think the only worthy card of consideration is the 7900 XTX and that is a power hog while being hot too. AFAIK.... Definitely wouldn't OC those.
I got the XFX reference alike version of the 7900 XT, the one that looks exactly like AMD’s reference card, basic stock cooler. The “boost clock” of the core was set to 2400mhz stock, after some fun experimentation I found the core stable up to 3266mhz, not too shabby. Got the memory up to 2833, managed to get the second highest score for one of the RT benches in 3DMark for my GPU. I think you’re just regurgitating what you heard someone else say online. You should get some first hand experience.

Do you guys think PC hardware exists in a vacuum? It’s part of the overall global economy and inflation is a major issue right now. The buying power of the dollar has decreased dramatically, of course the price of computer hardware is going to go up along with inflation.

I do agree. So sad. But yes (thanks Nvidia!!), this is the new "normal". Btw, I'm a big advocate of buying people's throwaways on the cheap.

Do you guys think PC hardware exists in a vacuum? It’s part of the overall global economy and inflation is a major issue right now. The buying power of the dollar has decreased dramatically, of course the price of computer hardware is going to go up along with inflation.
Who cares. It's not the consumer's job to justify product pricing. If customers perceive an item is overpriced, that's on the maker.

I'm well aware of the economy and I understand it. Doesn't mean I have to like it. And its not ALL going up. RAM and storage is pretty damn cheap right now. Other stuff is coming back down to earth. It's why I finally went ahead and built a new computer recently. Graphics cards continue to stay more inflated than anything else. It's the 1 piece I haven't upgraded.

Link to buy 7800 xt can be found here in case anyone is looking after digesting the reviews. Currently the AMD website shows out of stock for the reference card.
Dang, was looking earlier yesterday morning and plenty of 7800 xt inventory. Now, they are all gone. However, ebay started to show up for sale at slightly inflated prices (nothing when compare to the ETH mining days). I think more stocks will come in the next few weeks.

Dang, was looking earlier yesterday morning and plenty of 7800 xt inventory. Now, they are all gone. However, ebay started to show up for sale at slightly inflated prices (nothing when compare to the ETH mining days). I think more stocks will come in the next few weeks.
There will be more next week. All of the 7800 XT/7700 XT cards have been manufactured since like December. And AMD told their resellers that they will hold off the complete supply, until week 2. To see which markets need a higher allocation.

I never had that problem, with a reference 6700 XT and a Gigabyte 6600 XT. 2 different monitors and an 1080p HDTV from like 2011. (Yes I was using HDMI with monitors, because of a capture card.)

Hardware unboxed states their system specs. They messed up the chapter marks on their video timeline. Its a 7800X3D based system.

I suspect the games which have decently sized wins from the 6800 XT, will be closed down, by driver improvements for the 7800 XT.
A decent swing between the two reviews then pointing to the AMD platform providing a possible advantage with the AMD cards?

A decent swing between the two reviews then pointing to the AMD platform providing a possible advantage with the AMD cards?
IMO, there is no advantage to running an AMD GPU with an AMD CPU, rather than Intel's CPUs.

I have seen a few different sites/channels claiming it------but never showing it. The only channel I have seen do a good investigation into it, was Hardware Unboxed. And it was a wash.

View: https://youtu.be/FM-mDf0U38k?si=xP6SJfdRNot6KZGP

While I do not doubt that AMD does.....something with their bios code, to make Resizeable BAR slightly customized for their infinity fabric and cache setup: the results don't show any sort of real improvement over ReBAR on Intel. And personally, I have used a 6700 XT on AM4, 12th gen Intel, and a 13th gen Intel in a 12th gen mobo. And noticed no performance difference to attribute to the AM4 platform.

Last edited:
IMO, there is no advantage to running an AMD GPU with an AMD CPU, rather than Intel's CPUs.

I have seen a few different sites/channels claiming it------but never showing it. The only channel I have seen do a good investigation into it, was Hardware Unboxed. And it was a wash.

View: https://youtu.be/FM-mDf0U38k?si=xP6SJfdRNot6KZGP

While I do not doubt that AMD does.....something with their bios code, to make Resizeable BAR slightly customized for their infinity fabric and cache setup: the results don't show any sort of real improvement over ReBAR on Intel. And personally, I have used a 6700 XT on AM4, 12th gen Intel, and a 13th gen Intel in a 12th gen mobo. And noticed no performance difference to attribute to the AM4 platform.

Yet we have a decent swing between GN and HUB ya? Ideas?
That said GN does seem to have the lowest 7800XT vs. 6800XT benches out there.

I could see that across the board, but why would it give an edge to the 6800XT?
Its tough to say, because they only used 1 game in common with HUB (Resident Evil 4 Remake) and GN actually got better performance and showed the 7800 XT winning.

But my quick guess, is that maybe the games they used favor the older cards for now, until driver updates? Because, GN's Starfield numbers favor the 7800 XT and look comparable to other sites, after you factor in the 12700k's lower performance.

Jesus christ you are still on RX580!? Polaris? Even Intels GPUs are a clear upgrade if you are on a budget.
I would still be on my 390X if it didn't burn up, perfectly fine for COD games.
RT is a novelty that has worn off with broken promises i.e. Atomic Heart.

I would still be on my 390X if it didn't burn up, perfectly fine for COD games.
RT is a novelty that has worn off with broken promises i.e. Atomic Heart.

Well, I would probably also be on my old GTX 1080 vanilla but even without RT it did not really cut it for Cyberpunk, not for my needs anyway. 😅

Back