PS3 Hacker Expects Jail Sentence

This is in Germany... not the US.

I'm not sure what the exact details of the case are at this point, other than whats been made public. It could be that he leaked his 'PS3 bible' (although, if this was the case, I would of assumed that he'd already be in the slammer)... or it could be that, since he can't pay his fines, he'll have to do time.

I'm sure the details will come out eventually.

Oops...shows how much I've been paying attention I guess.

No, they are not advertising, not even close. They apparently didn't even think Other OS was important enough to put on the box, yet just about everything else that it does is.

Yes it is actually. How many corporations have gotten into trouble over the years for stating a product does something that it doesn't without ever formally advertising? A whole bunch. Plus it is in all the documentation of the original PS3 on the other OS and what it does and can do. As such any argument you mount is invalid and argumentative. So it was advertised, it was talked about by Sony management extensively, it was pushed to developers and it was documented. It doesn't matter how much you stick your fingers in your ear and scream "LALALA" the fact remains it was a promoted feature of the original PS3.

You have no argument.

I like how Helicopter gets called a troll for making valid points, albeit unpopular.

I disagree with how this guy is being treated, and I hate how the legal system can be used to financially destroy the little guy. That being said, he is in the wrong. His workaround for Other OS enables many others to pirate games, which could easily cost Sony millions of dollars.

I know it's easy to hate on the big corporations, lord knows I do it often enough. But you have to look at all the issues, not just Other OS.

No he is getting called a troll because he is spouting uninformed garbage. Same as you on otherOS enabling pirating. Other OS does not enable pirating, that is a entirely separate hack all together.

No he is getting called a troll because he is spouting uninformed garbage. Same as you on otherOS enabling pirating. Other OS does not enable pirating, that is a entirely separate hack all together.

OtherOS isn't all he did. This is from a graf_chokolo post at psx-scene.

graf_chokolo said:
I have just exploited and dumped HV 3.15 from GameOS

I used memory glitching like Geohot to get dangling HTAB entry but 2nd and 3rd stages are quite different. I used my knowledge about HV internals and created a simpler exploit for stage2 and stage3.

Now we don’t need Linux to exploit and dump HV. Furthermore HV dump from GameOS is a lot better because when GameOS is running more features are activiated in HV SO, I can reverse now more C++ objects and understand better how HV works

I will make everyting public very soon and I plan to dump HV 3.41 in the next days.

Don't need Linux? B b b ut I thought he was a noble crusader, solely interested in getting Linux back on the PS3! :rolleyes:

OtherOS isn't all he did. This is from a graf_chokolo post at psx-scene.

Don't need Linux? B b b ut I thought he was a noble crusader, solely interested in getting Linux back on the PS3! :rolleyes:

Can you please explain how that relates to piracy? I'm not seeing it.

Now we don’t need Linux to exploit and dump HV. Furthermore HV dump from GameOS is a lot better because when GameOS is running more features are activiated in HV SO

Translation: He didn't need OtherOS anymore to dump the HV as dumping it from GameOS was a better option anyway since it gave him access to more features (more cell cores, GPU access) that he could work on reverse engineering. None of that is needed for Piracy... but it is needed to get linux running on later FW PS3's and with low level system access (GPU, being the big one)

1. If its a civil case then he won't go to jail. He will have to pay sony off what he can afford a month. If he can only afford 10bucks a month then he will pay them off 7 bucks a month.

2. If its a criminal case then there's no fighting Sony. Sony got f all to do with the case. The state is the complainant and yes he can go to jail.

3. Difference between civil and criminal?
Civil the other party suing you is the prosecutor.
Criminal the state is.
Civil the common man
Criminal above reasonable doubt.

With criminal if you can't afford a lawyer the state wilkinson provide some cheap ass mug to defend you.
Civil your on your own.

So what is this case? Criminal or civil?
The police raided his home.
Was he arrested? If yes for what?

What's "uninformed" that I have said? Do you have a link to an advertisement, or picture of the retail box that includes Other OS, or Linux as a listed feature?

You do realize there is a big difference between an exec talking about features at an electronics conference, and an advertised feature right? What I am looking for is advertisements for the PS3 running Linux that back up the "we lost advertised features" banter, something the average consumer would see and read, and expect. Even a picture of a retail box that mentions Linux, or the ability to run an other OS. Maybe something that conflicts with the "Design and specifications subject to change without notice" that actually is printed on the actual box.

Okay, I read 3 pages in and finally decide to comment on this. The original box for the bc ps3's listed the ability ro install otherOS feature, only when this feature was removed and next box revision came out did they remove the statement and add in the "Design and specifications subject to change without notice". So you my friend are just reading from a rev2 box. Find someone with a BC PS3 and you will find what you seek.

Okay, I read 3 pages in and finally decide to comment on this. The original box for the bc ps3's listed the ability ro install otherOS feature, only when this feature was removed and next box revision came out did they remove the statement and add in the "Design and specifications subject to change without notice". So you my friend are just reading from a rev2 box. Find someone with a BC PS3 and you will find what you seek.

You should probably look at the picture I posted, also it was not available for the first five months, not until version 1.60, and like I said, I actually wanted to find a box with it listed on it, or an advertisement for it. My point is that the hyperbole surrounding it being a "advertised feature" is a bunch of bs. I would safely bet that you couldn't find five hundred thousand out of the fifty million units sold that were bought because it could install Linux. The VAST majority of users don't care at all about it. I'd even bet there's more people that bought it solely as a blu-ray player that have never even played a game on it than there are people that install Linux on it.

You should probably look at the picture I posted, also it was not available for the first five months, not until version 1.60, and like I said, I actually wanted to find a box with it listed on it, or an advertisement for it. My point is that the hyperbole surrounding it being a "advertised feature" is a bunch of bs. I would safely bet that you couldn't find five hundred thousand out of the fifty million units sold that were bought because it could install Linux. The VAST majority of users don't care at all about it. I'd even bet there's more people that bought it solely as a blu-ray player that have never even played a game on it than there are people that install Linux on it.

So what? AMD isn't going to press charges against me because I flashed their BIOS to a different card's specs, nor are they going to seek punitive damages because I modded their driver suite.

This is why closed systems are bad.

My point is that the hyperbole surrounding it being a "advertised feature" is a bunch of bs..

No your point is that the only advertisement that matters is what appears on the box. Now that's a bunch of BS.

No your point is that the only advertisement that matters is what appears on the box. Now that's a bunch of BS.

Why do you feel you need to lie? I've asked for a retail box, commercial, advertisement from a magazine/internet ad, something beside some executives mentioning it at a conference, or in a couple interviews. I'm looking for something that would indicate to the vast majority of potential customers that this is a feature of the machine.

Why do you feel you need to lie? I've asked for a retail box, commercial, advertisement from a magazine/internet ad, something beside some executives mentioning it at a conference, or in a couple interviews. I'm looking for something that would indicate to the vast majority of potential customers that this is a feature of the machine.

There's no lying going on. Just your BS definition of what you consider an advertisement/promotion. If a CEO or anyone from the company ends up on an interview it's for a fucking purpose and everyone seems to get that but you.

He's not doing an interview about toilet paper or Midol. He's there to talk about the PS3 and promote it. If you promote something you are advertising on the part of the product in hopes people buy it. WTF other reason would someone who makes millions end up talking to a fucking online mag called Kotaku?!? Is he there to talk about the joys of anal sex? No he's there to promote something....hmmmm WTF could he be promoting?....hmmm it's a box... oh .....it's a gaming system... OH SHIT it's the PS MoF'ing 3.

Now chances are the online magazine is there for reason. If i had to guess it's probably because they want to share information. Now what does information do for people who have an IQ above 60? My guess is that it informs/shapes their viewpoint on a variety of things...even on their spending habits. But feel free to tell me it does something other than what 99.9999% of the population on planet Earth believes it does. I'm sure you'll try.

For some reason you seem to be the type of person who believes that they can create their own BS goal posts (read: reality) and get other people to try and argue using your way of thinking. I'm sorry i'm not that guy.

Now let me just tell you right now I don't plan on continuing a discussion on the difference between advertisements that come on card board or end up in interviews as I don't believe in feeding trolls or idiots, nor conversing with either for very long. You could be either. I don't care which. The only reason I would need to respond further would be if I was feeling generous and felt like helping the needy or the retarded by boosting their own IQ so they could wipe their ass in the morning. I'm not feeling that either today.

So dear friend this is good bye. Hopefully we can have other discussions that aren't based on your definition of an advertisement. Have a good day! :)

There are more uses for having full access to your hardware than running linux. Take your home computer for example...

There's no lying going on. Just your BS definition of what you consider an advertisement/promotion. If a CEO or anyone from the company ends up on an interview it's for a fucking purpose and everyone seems to get that but you.

He's not doing an interview about toilet paper or Midol. He's there to talk about the PS3 and promote it. If you promote something you are advertising on the part of the product in hopes people buy it. WTF other reason would someone who makes millions end up talking to a fucking online mag called Kotaku?!? Is he there to talk about the joys of anal sex? No he's there to promote something....hmmmm WTF could he be promoting?....hmmm it's a box... oh .....it's a gaming system... OH SHIT it's the PS MoF'ing 3.

Now chances are the online magazine is there for reason. If i had to guess it's probably because they want to share information. Now what does information do for people who have an IQ above 60? My guess is that it informs/shapes their viewpoint on a variety of things...even on their spending habits. But feel free to tell me it does something other than what 99.9999% of the population on planet Earth believes it does. I'm sure you'll try.

For some reason you seem to be the type of person who believes that they can create their own BS goal posts (read: reality) and get other people to try and argue using your way of thinking. I'm sorry i'm not that guy.

Now let me just tell you right now I don't plan on continuing a discussion on the difference between advertisements that come on card board or end up in interviews as I don't believe in feeding trolls or idiots, nor conversing with either for very long. You could be either. I don't care which. The only reason I would need to respond further would be if I was feeling generous and felt like helping the needy or the retarded by boosting their own IQ so they could wipe their ass in the morning. I'm not feeling that either today.

So dear friend this is good bye. Hopefully we can have other discussions that aren't based on your definition of an advertisement. Have a good day! :)

You can keep attacking me, being condescending it doesn't matter, doesn't change that it's obviously not one of the bigger features of the system, and it's "advertising" didn't extend beyond some mention at a conference, and a few interviews. It was not even close to a major selling point, and that's backed up by the reality that no one has been able to provide a link to an advertisement for it, or even a picture of it being mentioned on the box next to all the other features.

I've got no problem saying "cool, I was wrong" if you can show me where the average consumer, not the tech savvy guy that spent late nights hunting for info, but the normal guy that saw the ads, and went to get his new game system would know that he would be able to not only use it as blu-ray player, gaming system, internet surfer, media server, etc, but also install Linux. All I am asking for is a link to a single commercial, or ad, or photo of that feature listed on the box next to all the other features. Continued attacking of me is only strengthening my point, if you really want to "get me good" save the wannabe witty insults, and post a link to prove me wrong.

Tech savvy people are customers too. The current percentage of tech savvy customers may be fairly low right now, but it is on the rise.

Tech savvy people are customers too. The current percentage of tech savvy customers may be fairly low right now, but it is on the rise.

True. There's probably very few technical savvy people that didn't know it was there due to interviews, etc. However, those are the EXACT people who were affected by it.

Some people believe that if it just affects a small group of people then it's all good. Whether Sony screwed a few people or a lot makes no difference. Sony promoted a feature. Some people bought it in part because of that feature. They paid money for a product as it was when they bought it in the store. Sony later changed the product. That is false advertising whether it was 100 or a million it makes no difference.

I like Sony, but they really have to stop this nonsense and go the Microsoft way.

I've got no problem saying "cool, I was wrong" if you can show me where the average consumer, not the tech savvy guy that spent late nights hunting for info, but the normal guy that saw the ads, and went to get his new game system would know that he would be able to not only use it as blu-ray player, gaming system, internet surfer, media server, etc, but also install Linux. All I am asking for is a link to a single commercial, or ad, or photo of that feature listed on the box next to all the other features. Continued attacking of me is only strengthening my point, if you really want to "get me good" save the wannabe witty insults, and post a link to prove me wrong.

Hmm now since it's a work day I'll respond to this....what can I say I'm feeling generous and a feel that no one should have to put up with BS for an extended period of time. Basically you do have a problem admitting you're wrong. If you don't think that it's a big feature is that really relevant? It's not. Even if I thought that it was a major selling point I wouldn't be relevant either. The litmus is: was the feature offered and promoted? The obvious answer to that is yes. Whether it's 2 or 3 interviews or many. That's irrelevant because every interview was meant to sell the product. Was it not? Who feels which feature is bigger than another is subjective. So all we need to prove is: was it offered and promoted? Did people see the interviews? Yes....obviously. Your goal to frame the discussion has no relevance here as it's not needed as most people understand that interviews are meant to sell the product as well.

Second the condescending attitude was well deserved. If you didn't think it was a major selling point then that could have been your major point from the get go, but instead you kept asking for proof after it had already been provided... like asshole. So you deserved to be treated as such. If you want to be treated like you have some common sense then act like it.

Like I said before I don't care if you are a idiot or a troll. If you're an idiot than you should learn how the world works and keep quiet until you figure it out. Or if you are a troll .....then stay I'm having fun anyway..I'm all for free speech and since it works both ways that only means fun for you and me. You can perceive that however you wish. At the end of the day is it deserved? I feel many would say yes. I could be wrong or I could be right. Then again anyone who feels that an interview given by a CEO isn't an advertisement for a product is probably the former.

Do you actually believe that all PS3's were sold by non internet savvy customers who happened to be walking by Best Buy only to be stunned by a PS3 box sitting in the aisle? <begin sarcasm > If you believe that then I have a bridge to sell you and a Ferrari (which I don't own). If that sounds like a good deal you can send me a million dollars via Paypal. I just need your SS# to verify authenticity. <end sarcasm>

If that feels like I'm being condescending then it could very well be. I'll leave that open for you to decide since you seem to be able to choose the least likely path to the obvious answer rather consistently and that can only benefit me at the end of day. :D

Back