Pre-Reviews: A770 vs. RX7700XT (for NVidia Avoiders...)

Which GPU Wins Your Cash?

• Radeon RX 7700 XT - $450

Votes: 3 12.0%
  • Intel Arc A770 - $300

Votes: 3 12.0%
  • Something Else (non-NV)

Votes: 6 24.0%
  • NVidia Can't Be Beat

Votes: 13 52.0%

• Total voters

Down8

2[H]4U
Before we seen the legit comparisons, just based on the pre-roll, at the mid-tier prices, are you expecting the RX7700XT to be worth the extra 50%?

Maybe worth stretching to 7800XT (if you can get to $450, $500 isn't much further...)?

-bZj

I feel like if you are already paying $450 for a 7700XT, spend the extra $50 and get a 16GB card with more performance.

The A770 has come a long way but I think AMD drivers will still be much better than Intel's.

I'm interested to see how the prices actually show up on 9/6. 7700XT is for sure stronger than A770, but is it 150% of the performance?

-bZj

Performance gain tend to be non-linear with price but in this case possibly, performance costing more and more has you go up

The 4060ti was about 25% faster than the A770 at 1440p and (cherry picker for the better we imagine, but probably not too far) in the list of games of AMD the 7700xt was in the raster title shown by AMD it was an average 18% faster at 1440p that would make it almost 50% faster potential.

My RX7800XT will be here Friday. The $50 at that price point is easily overcome. ATi- er, AMD knew that....

I didn't even need a GPU... the 2060-6GB plays Cyberpunk fine....

I'm weak.

-bZj

Look at the efficiency of the cards. I can see why ppl are choosing Nvidia in the poll. Not only do they have the performance and ray tracing - but, the power efficiency is like night and day. Look at this site - in which the pos Rx 7600 is running at 200W! - for hardly any performance compared to the rest? While the RTX 4070 is sipping just over 200W!!!

https://www.pcgamer.com/amd-radeon-...-radeon-rx-7800-xt-benchmarks-and-performance

You only buy AMD if the price is low enough?!?

True, poor efficiency (check out Arc...).

But, as AMD noted, if you're buying a card of mid-/high-level, you've already got a large power supply & simply don't care. It amounts to $x0/year. If you were pinching pennies like that, you're not shopping for cards like this, you're shopping for a Chromebook. Or a tablet.

-bZj

I give the edge to AMD just based on maturity. I think this might change after Battlemage (depending).

Full disclosure: I use an RX 5700XT (hopefully you can get those for about $100 USD). I switched from green (old Kepler board). I use Linux.

Look at the efficiency of the cards. I can see why ppl are choosing Nvidia in the poll. Not only do they have the performance and ray tracing - but, the power efficiency is like night and day. Look at this site - in which the pos Rx 7600 is running at 200W! - for hardly any performance compared to the rest? While the RTX 4070 is sipping just over 200W!!!

https://www.pcgamer.com/amd-radeon-...-radeon-rx-7800-xt-benchmarks-and-performance

Why are you comparing peak watts of one card to the average of the other?

Why are you comparing peak watts of one card to the average of the other?
Peak power of one card vs the other. The 7600 performance vs 4070 - go compare. Then compare peak power of the 7600 of 200w vs the 4070 at 232W.
Performance/watt is awful on any of the AMD cards when you compare it to the Ada cards.

Peak power of one card vs the other. The 7600 performance vs 4070 - go compare. Then compare peak power of the 7600 of 200w vs the 4070 at 232W.
Performance/watt is awful on any of the AMD cards when you compare it to the Ada cards.
Huh. For some reason I read the 4070 as just under 200. That's my bad.

Huh. For some reason I read the 4070 as just under 200. That's my bad.
Don't worry about it. I just read through the article and thing that jumped out at me, is that the AMD cards use up so much power - even the lower tier cards. I think it's something AMD really needs to address. I suppose gamers don't care too much about power consumption - is it producing enough frames, is it delivering a good picture and with what features - and that's all fine and dandy, but 1) some ppl live in places where hydro/electricity is expensive; 2) more power/ probably more heat - and the higher tier AMD cards do get hot; 3) nvidia cards this gen - Ada- are really power efficient - and if the performance is relatively similar - then, I think they are a better product - just the prices are way too high - but, once they hit the used/2nd hand market - they will be a better buy when the prices are coming down/no taxes and you get the nvidia features, too. AMD cards are probably a so-so resale value - because of this - and they need to address a lot of things but I think tackling the power efficiency is at or near the top of the list.

Look at the efficiency of the cards
If I was a laptop-console-mobile-datacenter maker I would focus on this for small difference even in the mid level, but a single desktop user and those level (both are in the category easy to fit in case, cool, PSU) ?

200 or 250watt... would one know without looking at a program telling them ?

Same goes for almost all Nvidia card, you only buy an non 4090 card if the price is low enough, no one would buy a 4060 at a price close to the 4090

Last edited:
Same goes for almost all Nvidia card, you only buy an non 4090 card if the price is low enough, no one would buy a 4060 at a price close to the 4090
That is true. While a 4070 might offer better perf/watt than a 7600, the former is also much more expensive.

Reactions: Down8
like this
If I was a laptop-console-mobile-datacenter maker I would focus on this for small difference even in the mid level, but a single desktop user and those level (both are in the category easy to fit in case, cool, PSU) ?

200 or 250watt... would one know without looking at a program telling them ?

My point was the 7600 performance is crap but why such high power consumption for the low performance? One example.
I said you'd only buy it if it is cheap - because the intangibles/features are sparse compared to nvidia - which has RT, DLSS, CUDA etc. etc. - yes, the Nvidia cards are overly expensive but at least you get features with it.

yes, the Nvidia cards are overly expensive but at least you get features with it.
Does not need to be much cheaper because of the dollar value some buyer would put, many will put $0 on CUDA not using it and very low on RT because at that level of card will just assume RT will end up always at low only in game where RT is easy and those run well on AMD or off.

I said you'd only buy it if it is cheap
That also true of all non 4090 nvidia card, you only buy them to save money over that option. So yes you only but a 7700xt over a nice msi 4090 watercooled because it is cheaper, but it is not the only reason to buy it over a 16GB 4060TI it is cheaper and much faster. I am not sure why say you buy a faster 7700xt only because it is cheaper, make little sense, being faster is obviously also a reason.

And if you say you only buy a 7700xt over a watercooled MSI 4090 just because it is 25% of the price, sure, but that such a trivial statement, it was bought over a 7900xt also only because it was much cheaper.

Last edited:
My point was the 7600 performance is crap but why such high power consumption for the low performance? One example.
I said you'd only buy it if it is cheap - because the intangibles/features are sparse compared to nvidia - which has RT, DLSS, CUDA etc. etc. - yes, the Nvidia cards are overly expensive but at least you get features with it.
Better go get a 4090 then. I think I solved your looking for a GPU question :D

Some people are on strict budgets that these amd cards work better for.

Better go get a 4090 then. I think I solved your looking for a GPU question :D

Some people are on strict budgets that these amd cards work better for.
I don't have the 4090 on my gpu list (check my thread). :) I never said nvidia cards were affordable or cheap - at least, not the flagship cards.

I never said
But what is being said, if we look at the subject about the 7700xt

To buy a new Nvidia card that has better performance (+10-15% or so) you need to buy a Nvidia 4070, it cost 33% more a vast $150.

Yes everyone buying a 7700xt do it because it is cheaper at the same price tag, you obviously go with the 4070....

The price difference is so vast it is like saying anyone that buy the 4070 buy it over the 4070ti because it is cheaper, well of course ... ?

I feel like if you are already paying $450 for a 7700XT, spend the extra $50 and get a 16GB card with more performance.
Obvious upsell to 7800 XT is obvious. It's the 7900 XT all over again. Dafuq, AMD?

Some games run inherently better on AMD cards and you can always undervolt. Also, not everyone uses ray tracing.

I want to see more efficient cards now. Things are getting out of control cost, heat, and power wise. Allows DEVs to be lazy. I vote Nvidia :)

Out of control ?
power-gaming.png

A770 and 7700xt seem to be your regular 6700xt-3070-6800 class of card, with small spike peak usage also well under control.

Could be too much but not really an significant increase from the 5700xt-6700xt.

Not sure what the difference would be between heat and power, but if we mean temperature, 7700xt models seem to run fully silent under load and play game at 55-65 celcius... is that significantly different than the 5700xt-6700xt before ?

That generation seem modest in most aspect, at least in the post Turing release world. They apparently overclock a lot, enough to reach 7800xt stock performance in some games, maybe when you do so but that only a nice option to have.

The 4070 is better in that regard (10-15%), but in a desktop, is it relevant ?

Back