PNY GTX 670 $280 AR - For people who play with headphones

Status
Not open for further replies.

Fooshnik

2[H]4U
Or if you're planning to replace the cooler.

Link.

It's a low price price, but you'd have to be pretty hard up or hard of hearing to buy a card with that cooler. Maybe a custom fan profile might help.

Incidentally you can get it for $260 if you use their Refer a Friend, which makes it cheaper than a 7950.

That's the price at Boxing Day. It was tempting, but the idea of using that cooler killed my urge to go for it. Now using 7970 instead.

PNY has the worst warranty policies.

Pre-2009 they did. Now if you register at their website the "XLR8" models (such as this GTX 670) will have a lifetime of the "owner" warranty - just like the one EVGA is starting to phase out. Its one year and when you register within 90 days its extended to lifetime of the owner. I have a PNY GTX 460 1GB and I grilled the phone rep at PNY about the particulars of the warranty when I registered it. None of that "lifetime of the product line" crap they did before.

http://www.techpowerup.com/165779/PNY-Introduces-XLR8-GeForce-GTX-670-Graphics-Card.html Scroll down the the second to the last paragraph.

Last edited:
You know, for all those of you talking about the cooler, it really isn't that loud. Even under 80% fan speed it's not bad, and I use an aggressive fan profile. Not to mention when overclocked, my ref 670 stays around 70 °C under the stock fan profile. Sure it's louder than a custom cooler but when you're gaming with speakers you don't really hear it over the explosions.

I have a similar cooler on my 660ti and its not too bad. When the card heats up you notice it though

For $100 less than the cheapest 670 (including rebates) I can tolerate a noisy fan (I do play with headphones). In for one.

Twin 670 SLI for $520 bux sounds really tasty. If you're doing a custom water loop and going to remove the fan anyway might as well not spend more than $2 on it. I suppose I could turn on my vacuum cleaner so I don't hear them.

You know, for all those of you talking about the cooler, it really isn't that loud. Even under 80% fan speed it's not bad, and I use an aggressive fan profile. Not to mention when overclocked, my ref 670 stays around 70 °C under the stock fan profile. Sure it's louder than a custom cooler but when you're gaming with speakers you don't really hear it over the explosions.

LOLOLOL do you have the same exact card? at 80% its a freaking airplane. At minimum 30% theres always that high pitch whine(not coil whine). When it starts to hit 55%-60%(usual fan speed when playing games) it starts getting annoying. Bearable, definitely not for people living with roommates.

lol, so all the games you play have explosions the whole time? sorry but the reference cooler/fan is a pos and that is a fact. its of way worse quality than what used to come on mid range cards such as the 460. it has a slight grinding sound at idle and is not very smooth sounding when ramping up. at 80% its damn noisy and you would be the smallest of minorities not to think so. and if you are not exceeding 70 C then you have vsync or some other framerate cap on because it will go well over 70 C in any demanding game. all reviews show mid 70s or higher. heck even my evg ftw gtx670 which uses the vastly superior gtx680 cooler went into the low to mid 70s in demanding games.

You guys are just a bunch of whiners. If you want to hear a loud system go back to the days of 80mm case fans and the old ATi blowers. I assume you also never turn up your music or ride in loud cars.

Yes, I have the reference 670 (albeit from Galaxy), and no it doesn't go above 70C. Given it is winter, but still, my room isn't freezing either. I've been watching the temps in afterburner while playing TW2. For a demanding game like TW2, it's still quiet enough for me. Maybe for you guys who needs absolutely quiet PCs, but for the rest of us it's really not as bad as you make it sound.

It's very unoften that it goes up to 80%, most of the time it does sit around 30-40%. Even then it's nowhere near as loud as you make it sound. You guys need to get out of your room more and get outside.

If you want to justify the extra price you paid for your aftermarket cooler, yes it's quieter. But for the average person, it's nowhere near that bad. The point of the matter is, if you're not building a silent PC, there's no reason to turn people away from this card. It's the cheapest 670 you can get by a mile.

And yes, reviews agree:
http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/geforce-gtx-670-test-review,3217-12.html

For the aftermarket cards, they only cool around 6-7C better. Under peak noise, the reference is about 4 dB louder than the venerated Windforce, which relates to something like 50% louder.

Even under OC:
http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/geforce-gtx-670-test-review,3217-13.html

The difference isn't great, and neither is the noise ceiling. Will you get a benefit from an aftermarket cooler, yes. Is it worth $100? No. If it really bothers you, a $30 H50, a $5 fan and a $8 bracket will give you superior cooling performance over any packaged cooler.

The were only a few cards significantly quieter, and only the zotac cooled significantly better (not even the Asus DC2 that everyone loves so much).

Last edited:
yes we along with pretty much every official review are wrong and you are right. and I guess the 10-15 hours I spend outside a day are just not enough for me to know when a video card can make annoying or load noises.

and what the heck does turning up music have to do with complaining about a grinding and loud fan noise?

and I am guessing it will be the average person that will find the noise the card makes the most annoying and its the odd person such as yourself that will not be bothered by it.

If you don't agree that $320/$280 after MIR isn't a hot deal state why (as in where it can be had cheaper or how its not far enough below the regular price). Leave the discussion of the card's performance merits to the Video Cards forums. It doesn't belong in [H]ot Deals (even though the O.P. got the ball rolling with his opinion of the HSF).

This thread is insane, I have never seen so much bickering over a fan/HS. Anyway thanks for the hot deal OP!

Last edited:
If you don't agree that $320/$280 after MIR isn't a hot deal state why (as in where it can be had cheaper or how its not far enough below the regular price). Leave the discussion of the card's performance merits to the Video Cards forums. It doesn't belong in [H]ot Deals (even though the O.P. got the ball rolling with his opinion of the HSF).
sorry bud but when a hot deal is posted there will be a discussion about the actual product itself. info and reviews on the product most certainly help people decide if its actually a hot deal for them or not.

This thread is insane, I have never seen so much bickering over a fan/HS. Anyways thanks for the hot deal OP!
and the reference cooler on this card is a well known issue for many people/reviewers so it needs to be mentioned. nothing wrong with informing potential purchasers so at least they can decide for themselves if it might be an issue or not.

sorry bud but when a hot deal is posted there will be a discussion about the actual product itself. info and reviews on the product most certainly help people decide if its actually a hot deal for them or not.

This is ridiculous.... the card isn't THAT loud, and it doesn't run THAT hot unless your environment is a boiler room. $260 after referral coupon and rebate is SMOKING for this kind of performance, hell, $280 without the coupon is too. You could buy an extra cooler for $30-50 like an H50 or Kuhler 620 with bracket to add on and it's still a smoking deal.

This is ridiculous.... the card isn't THAT loud, and it doesn't run THAT hot unless your environment is a boiler room. $260 after referral coupon and rebate is SMOKING for this kind of performance, hell, $280 without the coupon is too. You could buy an extra cooler for $30-50 like an H50 or Kuhler 620 with bracket to add on and it's still a smoking deal.
look at customer reviews of reference 670 cards where most people mention the noise of the card. its not just that it can be loud but its the type of noise that matters. even official reviews brought that up. again all I am doing is helping people make an informed decision.

bullshit. a stock gtx670 is about 20-25% faster than a gtx580. 670 sli is going to carry about the same advantage over 580 sli.

People already did the work for me and linked to prove you wrong earlier in the thread. I do hope you're joking? This thing isn't loud, and it is much better than "20%" over a 580 :rolleyes:. Newer drivers in the 310.xx series have only cemented that further.

http://hardforum.com/showpost.php?p=1039553354&postcount=14
http://hardforum.com/showpost.php?p=1039552974&postcount=11

People already did the work for me and linked to prove you wrong earlier in the thread. I do hope you're joking? This thing isn't loud, and it is much better than "20%" over a 580 :rolleyes:. Newer drivers in the 310.xx series have only cemented that further.

http://hardforum.com/showpost.php?p=1039553354&postcount=14
http://hardforum.com/showpost.php?p=1039552974&postcount=11
so would like me to post some of the hundreds of customer reviews bitching about the noise the 670 makes? or how about the comments from some of the official reviews? :rolleyes:

and look at the techpowerup review of the 670 when it launched as it was indeed just 20% faster than the 580. sure drivers have helped it but only by around 5-10% or so OVERALL as that 580 also still got improvements during that time.

so would like me to post some of the hundreds of customer reviews bitching about the noise the 670 makes? or how about the comments from some of the official reviews? :rolleyes:

and look at the techpowerup review of the 670 when it launched as it was indeed just 20% faster than the 580. sure drivers have helped it but only by around 5-10% or so OVERALL. not to mention that 580 also still got improvements during that time.

I don't care about end user reviews from uninformed people running an airtight case that overheats any card they throw in there. I care about actual measurements and my own experience of hearing them. These are pretty quiet with any decent airflow in your chasis. A Radeon 79xx is FAR louder and stays at loud fan speeds constantly, and yes I have tried the Radeon 7950 and 7970 reference versions as well as GTX 670 + 680 reference versions including SLI. And that is in a properly-cooled case. I could link you to hundreds of customer reviews bitching about how just about anything is loud, sucks, etc., doesn't mean it's true.

TPU is one in an ocean, and while I respect w1zzard for his knowledge, his tests of 1024x768 and only average framerates with no real explanation as to the gameplay for his video card reviews aren't terribly relevant most of the time. The bulk of reviews, including those linked, show me right.

I don't care about end user reviews from uninformed people running an airtight case that overheats any card they throw in there. I care about actual measurements and my own experience of hearing them. These are pretty quiet with any decent airflow in your chasis. A Radeon 79xx is FAR louder and stays at loud fan speeds constantly, and yes I have tried the Radeon 7950 and 7970 reference versions as well as GTX 670 + 680 reference versions including SLI.

TPU is one in an ocean, and while I respect w1zzard for his knowledge, his tests of 1024x768 and only average framerates with no real explanation as to the gameplay for his video card reviews aren't terribly relevant most of the time. The bulk of reviews, including those linked, show me right.
so even though most customers complain about the cooler noise it means nothing? what an idiotic reply.

and AGAIN it is the type of noise that can be bothersome not just the volume. look at official reviews and you will see the grinding noise mentioned in most of them. :rolleyes:

and the reference cooler on this card is a well known issue for many people/reviewers so it needs to be mentioned. nothing wrong with informing potential purchasers so at least they can decide for themselves if it might be an issue or not.

I agree with you on that, just normally I see something like this when it's a really faulty cooler. Not just everyone discussing the db level repeatedly. I just wonder sometimes if people avoid posting in this section because people argue over small issues. For the $280 price and adding a aftermarket cooler you will still be well below the market value for a 670.

I mean the OP already mentioned the noise and that it is a known issue... But then we have an entire page going over this repeatedly haha

so even though most customers complain about the cooler noise it means nothing? what an idiotic reply.

and AGAIN it is the type of noise that can be bothersome not just the volume. look at official reviews and you will see the grinding noise mentioned in most of them. :rolleyes:

Just like anything in life, signal-to-noise ratio is terrible in customer reviews ;). But hey, go be a sheople, proud and free.... the rest of us will actually research for ourselves! The Radeon 79xx has a vacuum cleaner type noise that drones with a pitched whine, while the 670 is a very low, deep noise of air whooshing that is not very noticeable and lower volume. I think it's pretty obvious which is preferable to most people, and sales figures bear me out as well... GeForce cards outsell Radeon ones at a two-to-one ratio currently and have for years.

I agree with you on that, just normally I see something like this when it's a really faulty cooler. Not just everyone discussing the db level repeatedly. I just wonder sometimes if people avoid posting in this section because people argue over small issues. For the $280 price and adding a aftermarket cooler you will still be well below the market value for a 670.
right and they can make that choice. it is a great deal for 280 bucks and no one is denying that. it just happens to have a cooler that is bothersome to most people so they should be aware of.

I mean the OP already mentioned the noise and that it is a known issue... But then we have an entire page going over this repeatedly haha

Except he was wrong, and we have AMD lovers who have no place crapping up a deal thread about a product they obviously have an unfathomable and unreasonable disdain for. That's where the arguing comes in, because they spread FUD and outright lies, while people stating the facts get buried because they don't shout back as they have no care to.

right and they can make that choice. it is a great deal for 280 bucks and no one is denying that. it just happens to have a cooler that is bothersome to most people so they should be aware of.

We already went over this, and I have linked proof showing you are spreading FUD. Oh, and it's $260 by the way with the coupon anyone can get from NCIX. Have fun with a slow and crappy-drivered Radeon 7870!

EDIT: More refutation:

http://techreport.com/review/22922/nvidia-geforce-gtx-670-graphics-card/7
The GTX 670's blower emits a rough, friction-filled whine. It's not especially loud , and heck, the thing manages not to register too high on decibel meter under load. Tucked inside of a case that insulates sound well, you might barely notice it. Still, this thing isn't Nvidia's best work.
gtxradeonnoiseload.gif

Last edited:
Just like anything in life, signal-to-noise ratio is terrible in customer reviews ;). But hey, go be a sheople, proud and free.... the rest of us will actually research for ourselves! The Radeon 79xx has a vacuum cleaner type noise that drones with a pitched whine, while the 670 is a very low, deep noise of air whooshing that is not very noticeable and lower volume. I think it's pretty obvious which is preferable to most people, and sales figures bear me out as well... GeForce cards outsell Radeon ones at a two-to-one ratio currently and have for years.
I guess there is no point in posting any of those customer reviews about the aggravating nose since they are just too stupid to realize that the noise should not bother them. :rolleyes:

here are just few comments from anandtech, xbit, and hardwarecunucks reviews though. I am too lazy to look through the other reviews at this time.

"Unfortunately the impressiveness of the GTX 670 begins to wane some here at noise. NVIDIA tells us that the GTX 670 uses the same fan as the GTX 680 but this seems questionable. 41.7dB is not significantly louder than the GTX 680’s 40.5dB, but there’s a definite difference in pitch compared to the GTX 680. The GTX 670 seems to have a low pitch hum/grind to it that GTX 680 didn’t have."

"The cheap plastic of the cooler casing and of the PCB extension with fan resonates, causing even more discomfort. Unfortunately, the GeForce GTX 670 is unsatisfactory in this test."

"However, it is hard to imagine that its 170mm PCB with a 28nm GPU, two gigabytes of memory (memory chips have been getting cheaper and cheaper these days) and its simple and noisy cooler really costs as much $399! "

"Much like the other GTX 600-series cards, the GTX 670 is generally quiet but an odd buzzing / ticking noise in our unit’s fan kept it from posting class-leading results here."

here are just few comments from anandtech, xbit, and hardwarecunucks.

Unfortunately the impressiveness of the GTX 670 begins to wane some here at noise. NVIDIA tells us that the GTX 670 uses the same fan as the GTX 680 but this seems questionable. 41.7dB is not significantly louder than the GTX 680’s 40.5dB, but there’s a definite difference in pitch compared to the GTX 680. The GTX 670 seems to have a low pitch hum/grind to it that GTX 680 didn’t have.

The cheap plastic of the cooler casing and of the PCB extension with fan resonates, causing even more discomfort. Unfortunately, the GeForce GTX 670 is unsatisfactory in this test.

Much like the other GTX 600-series cards, the GTX 670 is generally quiet but an odd buzzing / ticking noise in our unit’s fan kept it from posting class-leading results here.

All those say is the TYPE of noise and state it isn't particularly bad. The noise levels are quite low as mentioned even in your quotes. Thanks for restating my facts though that I already had linked. That's like saying "the plastic soda bottle of my Gatorade isn't as sturdy as Snapple's glass ones, rendering it not as high a quality." It doesn't really say anything bad about it.

http://techreport.com/review/22922/nvidia-geforce-gtx-670-graphics-card/7
The GTX 670's blower emits a rough, friction-filled whine. It's not especially loud , and heck, the thing manages not to register too high on decibel meter under load. Tucked inside of a case that insulates sound well, you might barely notice it. Still, this thing isn't Nvidia's best work.
gtxradeonnoiseload.gif

Anyway, I'm done here, you have some urgent drive and NEED to try to be right when you're proven dead wrong, and have an obvious gigantic bias with no regard to the facts. Have fun crapping up the deal thread... I have work to do :).

All those say is the TYPE of noise and state it isn't particularly bad. The noise levels are quite low as mentioned even in your quotes. Thanks for restating my facts though that I already had linked. That's like saying "the plastic soda bottle of my Gatorade isn't as sturdy as Snapple's glass ones, rendering it not as high a quality." It doesn't really say anything bad about it.

http://techreport.com/review/22922/nvidia-geforce-gtx-670-graphics-card/7[/url]

http://img820.imageshack.us/img820/9559/gtxradeonnoiseload.gif

Anyway, I'm done here, you have some urgent drive and NEED to try to be right when you're proven dead wrong, and have an obvious gigantic bias with no regard to the facts. Have fun crapping up the deal thread... I have work to do :).
I see you are still too ignorant to get through your head that is not the volume of noise. and sorry but those reviewers made it clear to almost anyone but your denying ass that the cards noise was not pleasant. and too bad you cant even consider any of the customer reviews either. seriously there is something wrong to simply ignore that when MOST customers are complaining.

I see you are still too ignrant to get through your head that is not the volume of noise. and yes those reviewers made it clear to almost anyone but your denying ass that the cards noise was not pleasant.

Have fun. :) Tip: It doesn't really show you have any point to attack someone stating factual information on a personal level. In fact, it detracts from your argument.

Have fun. :) Tip: It doesn't really show you have any point to attack someone stating factual information on a personal level. In fact, it detracts from your argument.
it is a special world that you live in. I used to enjoying participating in threads with you but your arrogant denial here has made me lose respect for you. I am sure you dont care and you are certainly not going to man up and admit you may be off base at this point either.

even a simple google search will make you look ridiculous claiming there are no sound issues. https://www.google.com/search?q=gtx...hrome.0.57j62l3.6800&sourceid=chrome&ie=UTF-8

For anyone thinking about buying this card,GoldenTiger has 0 credibility. He is huge Nvidia fan. His posts are misleading and dishonest.

This particular card has a short PCB. If it had GTX680's PCB then it would be a decent deal.

For anyone thinking about buying this card,GoldenTiger has 0 credibility. He is huge Nvidia fan. His posts are misleading and dishonest.

Their is a reason why he is on my IL, but I forget now.

With that being said, I've heard from numerous people who have gone from the 400 series cards to the 600 series and claim the 670 is a lot quieter than the 400 series. With that being said, I can't comment on the comfort of the sound being produced. (Most of them are 460 or 470 owners that went with the 660 Ti or the 670)

With that being said, I wouldn't hesitate to buy a 670 with a reference design if you are upgrading from a 400 series and that noise doesn't bother you.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back