Charged it up the rest of the way
Grabbed it to copy over some music
Powered it up
Received 3 notices
Your phone has been disabled
Your account has been disabled
You can petition for a reconsideration

Insert pic of Jackie Chan WTF here...lol

It is the entire google account or just Fi that has been disabled?

Midnight, portrait shot on my Pixel 8 Pro;

Attachments

• 430102772_10232205462989145_999816224786309744_n.jpg
    430102772_10232205462989145_999816224786309744_n.jpg
    250.2 KB · Views: 0
The S23 is almost as good as the old capacitive one with the exception of the physical circle to put your finger in so you know you're in the right place.

As far as I am concerned the physical circle is the whole reason to prefer the rear mounted finger print reader.

I just had a Pixel 7 Pro foisted on me against my will, and it unlocks just fine with the under screen reader.

Its the fact that I have to take it out of my pocket and look at it first, before pressing my finger against the right spot that is the disaster.

Not to mention that quite often the motion of bringing the phone out of my pocket doesn't wake the phone so i have to first press the power button to wake it, and then put my finger on the fingerprint reader...

compared to the old way of the finder naturally sliding on to the reader on the back as soon as I grab it in my pocket, and it already being unlocked by the time the phone screen was visible, this is a major bummer.

It may only be a matter of a few seconds difference, but given how many times we unlock our phones in a day, it sure adds up...

The fingerprint reader on the back was pure perfection. The fact that they got rid of it in favor of some flashy sci-fi-looking bullshit under the glass with worse functionality just so they could impress people with how cool it looks is just kind of depressing.

As far as I am concerned the physical circle is the whole reason to prefer the rear mounted finger print reader.
I really enjoyed the ability to swipe down/up on the rear fingerprint sensor while the phone was unlocked to expand/minimize the notifications/quick settings area too.

Very strange new bug after installing the March update several days ago. The color white now displays as pink on certain screens like the pull-down Settings. Apparently, it's fairly widespread and Google is working on a fix. Anyone else have this problem?

Screenshot_20240317-141433.png

Portrait shot after the dog park fun

Attachments

• PXL_20240317_212006198.PORTRAIT.jpg
    PXL_20240317_212006198.PORTRAIT.jpg
    271.7 KB · Views: 0
Very strange new bug after installing the March update several days ago. The color white now displays as pink on certain screens like the pull-down Settings. Apparently, it's fairly widespread and Google is working on a fix. Anyone else have this problem?

View attachment 642193
Mine looks like that. Figured it was just some theme or setting I couldn't be bothered to change. Do kinda recall it changing at some point.

5G seems to finally be working well for me. Hadn't tried it for a long time because it destroyed battery life, and mine seemed to always go to emergency only signal when it lost 5G instead of reverting to LTE. Then I'd have to toggle airplane mode just to get a signal back even if it was a 5G area.

View attachment 642193
Did you change wallpaper? They have that "dynamic" color scheme that attempts to adapt your color scheme to your home screen wallpaper, and does anywhere from an OK to a terrible job. Luckily it can be disabled and set to static in settings.

Wallpaper & Style -> System Colors. Press the three dots and you can choose betwen "wallpaper colors", a few options autogenerated to look good with your current wallpaper, or "other colors" a few static color schemes.

Sadly Google in their wisdom no longer allows people to select their own colors from a palette :/

Did you change wallpaper? They have that "dynamic" color scheme that attempts to adapt your color scheme to your home screen wallpaper, and does anywhere from an OK to a terrible job. Luckily it can be disabled and set to static in settings.

Wallpaper & Style -> System Colors. Press the three dots and you can choose betwen "wallpaper colors", a few options autogenerated to look good with your current wallpaper, or "other colors" a few static color schemes.

Sadly Google in their wisdom no longer allows people to select their own colors from a palette :/
No, haven't changed anything aside from installing the March update. I'll check out the settings you mentioned.

No, haven't changed anything aside from installing the March update. I'll check out the settings you mentioned.

Hmm. Maybe the update altered the algorithm they use to compute "compatible color themes" from the wallpaper image. Not sure.

Mine has not changed (but I also do not have an 8 or 8 Pro)

Hmm. Maybe the update altered the algorithm they use to compute "compatible color themes" from the wallpaper image. Not sure.

Mine has not changed (but I also do not have an 8 or 8 Pro)
It worked! I chose the "standard" color scheme and everything looks right again. No clue if the update tripped up the setting, but it's all good now. Thanks, man!

It worked! I chose the "standard" color scheme and everything looks right again. No clue if the update tripped up the setting, but it's all good now. Thanks, man!
Happy I could help!

I knew my "digging through 100% of the settings hierarchy every time I get a new phone to disable everything that makes a pixel a pixel" would pay off eventually :p

Well that 8a presents some questions. BestBuy has unlocked pixel 8's for 200 off for 499 right now, and considering this over a verizon locked 799. This is coming from a 3a.

To wait longer for the 8a or just go for 8.

Good to hear. Now the question is do I dabble in this 'unlocked phone' thing with Verizon. Gotta do some research on that.

Well that 8a presents some questions. BestBuy has unlocked pixel 8's for 200 off for 499 right now, and considering this over a verizon locked 799. This is coming from a 3a.

To wait longer for the 8a or just go for 8.
I think the only reason is size. the 8 and 8 pro will be much larger than the 8a. should be the same size as the 7a. otherwise just grab the 8.

My 8 Pro is great except the performance is not great when dealing with camera, editing pics, etc. Try to edit pics > save > camera > shoot > edit and the whole phone crawls. On the other hand, the iPhone smooth as butter, probably the superb chip makes all the difference.

I think the only reason is size. the 8 and 8 pro will be much larger than the 8a. should be the same size as the 7a. otherwise just grab the 8.

Are you sure? The 8 is somewhat smaller than the 7. Based on leaked specs (grain of salt), the 8a is actually slightly larger than the 8.

Anyone use Nova Launcher on the Pixel 8 series? Is it as smooth and fluid as stock?

Reason I ask, I tried Lawnchair14 recently, and it did not feel as smooth, was a little janky. Was wondering if Nova was smooth?

Anyone use Nova Launcher on the Pixel 8 series? Is it as smooth and fluid as stock?

Reason I ask, I tried Lawnchair14 recently, and it did not feel as smooth, was a little janky. Was wondering if Nova was smooth?
Nova is the only launcher I use for Android. Give it a shot. I think it's the GOAT of Android apps. Buy the Pro version. It's only a few bucks.

Yeah Android beta's are not daily drivers. I typically know that and shouldn't wipe and factory reset my phone and install a beta, but I did LOL.

Even though the S24U is my typical daily phone now, I wanted to test the Android 15 beta on my Pixel 8 Pro, as I love the Pixel experience.

I installed the beta over the weekend, when the Pixel was just my secondary airplane mode fun phone. And it worked fine just farting around with it last several days.

Until I popped the SIM in it and tried to daily it. LOL ugh.

-Bluetooth connection is F'd and spotty AF

-Texting is odd, some group texts go individually.

-UI system freezes

Yeah uh, this is a no go as a daily. Back to my S24U and also need to wipe the Pixel and install the current up to date Android 14

Did a full wipe reset AGAIN, to a fresh install of the latest monthly update April 2024, Android 14. Set up everything from scratch again. And I have to say Material You and the way the UI is really funky and silly, but also very fluid and pretty smooth, it is a great phone no doubt.

But then I scroll through Reddit, or Samsung Internet browser, it's so SMOOTH on the S24U, and the P8P there's some minor lag in there, just very little jitter, where that's just not there on the S24U.

Man how'd I love a true flagship highest-end spec'd Pixel phone, I'll pay a premium for that.

Put my SIM back in my P8P to get that beautiful stock Android feeling again, and man I just love the Pixel UI and feel in hand with the rounded comfortable corners, etc...

But why can't Google build us a true flagship Pixel to compete with the Galaxy S24 Ultra? The battery life on my Pixel 8 Pro is poor, it's not terrible, but not good either. Last night going to bed around 10pm it was down to 29% battery, and that's with a normal workday usage and evening use. Whereas my S24U using it the same at work and evening, at bedtime there's like 60% battery left.

And general UI use, there are just minor hiccups or micro-stutters here and there on the Pixel, that are just not present on the S24U. It's annoying because I used to always brag about how smooth and fluid the Pixel pro phones are, but now that I have a S24U, that's just not the case. Or has something changed in Android 14 the last few months where there is more lag now than before?

I love my Pixel 8 Pro in how it feels to hold, and the minimalist style and UI of Material You design, but dang Google, up your [H]ardware game already, this is a joke with these mid range spec's and mediocre performance.

Put my SIM back in my P8P to get that beautiful stock Android feeling again, and man I just love the Pixel UI and feel in hand with the rounded comfortable corners, etc...

But why can't Google build us a true flagship Pixel to compete with the Galaxy S24 Ultra? The battery life on my Pixel 8 Pro is poor, it's not terrible, but not good either. Last night going to bed around 10pm it was down to 29% battery, and that's with a normal workday usage and evening use. Whereas my S24U using it the same at work and evening, at bedtime there's like 60% battery left.

And general UI use, there are just minor hiccups or micro-stutters here and there on the Pixel, that are just not present on the S24U. It's annoying because I used to always brag about how smooth and fluid the Pixel pro phones are, but now that I have a S24U, that's just not the case. Or has something changed in Android 14 the last few months where there is more lag now than before?

I love my Pixel 8 Pro in how it feels to hold, and the minimalist style and UI of Material You design, but dang Google, up your [H]ardware game already, this is a joke with these mid range spec's and mediocre performance.
I'd like to see how Tensor G4 steps things up, but rumor goes that Google will at least up its game with next year's models. I'm still happy in iPhone land, but my inclination now would be toward the Galaxy S24+ or Ultra if I went Android, not the Pixel series. Camera quality matters, but battery life and performance do as well.

The battery life on my Pixel 8 Pro is poor, it's not terrible, but not good either.
I had that issue too, and discovered what was causing it, at least part of it anyways:

Every single app is set as100% active all the time, with all background processes running wide open with all permissions on by default, and no limits whatsoever....

I had to go through every single app, decide if I wanted it running, and either delete it, kill or shut it down completely, or at least roll back some of it's settings...

Once that was done, my battery now lasts all day long & into the evening hours....and there are a lot of days where I am on it a lot, calls, texts, teams/zoom meetings, videos, photos, spreadsheets etc....the lowest I've seen it go in the past few months was 52% by 11pm on days that usually started ~5:30am :)

But OTOH, I have never had any lag or stutter or whatever from the stock launcher, so I haven't yet tried any 3rd party ones.....the only complaint there is the fact that I cannot move the search bar to the top of the screen where I like it...

you are worse than a girl trying to decide what outfit to wear 🤣

Not really anymore, when you have phones that can run two phone numbers (2 eSIM, 2 pSIM, or 1 eSIM + 1pSIM).

Go to macrumors site, lots of people have multiple phones with one phone number, they SIM swap often. I've asked and they say one week they want an iPhone to use, and then another week maybe want the Google Pixel experience for the best portrait photos, and then some weeks they want the S-Pen so will setup their Galaxy phone.

Go to macrumors site, lots of people have multiple phones with one phone number, they SIM swap often. I've asked and they say one week they want an iPhone to use, and then another week maybe want the Google Pixel experience for the best portrait photos, and then some weeks they want the S-Pen so will setup their Galaxy phone.
Ok... but when SIM swapping people usually don't have the different phones on their person all the time. That's different than carrying around two phones.

Back