Pixel 8 / Pixel 8 Pro / Pixel 8a

So my Mous case arrived, it's the bluish / grey color slim thin case.

Looks super cool 😎, this color is great. I have the porcelain 8 Pro. And it's very soft and silky to hold.

But a few things;

-Too smooth feeling and slippery, doesn't offer much grip or stick

-Fingerprint oils seem to appear quickly on the case, but gow away after wiping, but makes me wonder if the case will dirty over time and get dark?

-Button cut outs, not a big fan of the buttons being flush or slightly recessed with the case, it feels odd and not as easily clicked.

So my quick verdict just having the case on tonight, it looks awesome, it's a bit slippery, the cutouts are not my thing, but it's ok. Overall I rate this case a 3 out of 5, but the high price kills it, no way is this a $50+ case.

So my Mous case arrived, it's the bluish / grey color slim thin case.

Looks super cool 😎, this color is great. I have the porcelain 8 Pro. And it's very soft and silky to hold.

But a few things;

-Too smooth feeling and slippery, doesn't offer much grip or stick

-Fingerprint oils seem to appear quickly on the case, but gow away after wiping, but makes me wonder if the case will dirty over time and get dark?

-Button cut outs, not a big fan of the buttons being flush or slightly recessed with the case, it feels odd and not as easily clicked.

So my quick verdict just having the case on tonight, it looks awesome, it's a bit slippery, the cutouts are not my thing, but it's ok. Overall I rate this case a 3 out of 5, but the high price kills it, no way is this a $50+ case.
You ought to check out the dbrand Grip case. Best case I've ever used. The 8 Pro versions are about 2 weeks from shipping. Mine's been pre-ordered for weeks.

I spent too much money on cases for my Pixel 8 Pro LOL.

Think I bought 5 or 6

Out of those the Ringke clear matte case looks great and offers good protection and feels pretty good in the hand.

X-Level is another great thin case but the back can get pretty smudgy and nasty over time.

The wood case I got for my wife's Pixel 8 is the best, it's got a real wood back, and tpu black rubber sides with ridges in them for no slip grip, and it feels GREAT in the hand, just so comfortable and gives a reassuring feel. But they've been out of stock for the 8 Pro since launch.

Mous case probably looks the best, neat design, but it's a slippery eal to hold and smudges up. But I like.

So of all these cases I might like the Ringke clear case best, followed by the Mous. And it would be the wood case #1 if was available.

With the blue grey color Mous case, this theme and wallpaper are a near perfect match:

Attachments

• Screenshot_20231024-104906.png
    Screenshot_20231024-104906.png
    2 MB · Views: 0
Interesting thread on Reddit on the Pixel phones and not having features outside the U.S.

Obviously I don't have these issues as I live in the States. But are these people complaining really onto something?

https://www.reddit.com/r/GooglePixel/s/YBtKFuf3Q1
Yes, this is accurate information. Historically look at other Pixel exclusive features from previous generations such as: the Google One VPN or Call Screening, they were/are not globally available. Click each link and you can see where available.

Google comes out right here about using Assistant to summarize web pages and explicitly states:

What you need

• A Pixel 8 or Pixel 8 Pro: Summarize is currently only available on the Pixel 8 and Pixel 8 Pro in English in the US.

I do love the look and style of the bluish Mous case.

But my goodness this is one slippery case. Dare I say maybe more slippery than the naked phone itself.

I think I may have to purchase one final case to really make my decision and that will be the official Google pixel 8 Pro case.

Went super minimal home screen here;

Attachments

• Screenshot_20231025-201033.png
    Screenshot_20231025-201033.png
    2.1 MB · Views: 0
You ought to check out the dbrand Grip case. Best case I've ever used. The 8 Pro versions are about 2 weeks from shipping. Mine's been pre-ordered for weeks.
I had that for my Iphone 12 Pro Max. I have the Ghost case for my P8Pro ordered, just waiting for it to be shipped.

Can someone reengineer the 8 Pro with the battery and lidar of the Iphone and pen and customization of the Samsung? Then I think its a no brainer. All that said, still think I may go with the 8 Pro. Would be my first Google phone. Still on a Galaxy S10+.

Can someone reengineer the 8 Pro with the battery and lidar of the Iphone and pen and customization of the Samsung? Then I think its a no brainer. All that said, still think I may go with the 8 Pro. Would be my first Google phone. Still on a Galaxy S10+.
If you're just willing to root, you slap on PixelXpert (formerly AOSPMods) and then laugh at how little customization Samsung offers.

Quick Portrait shot of Milo my yellow Lab pup waking up;

Attachments

• PXL_20231026_143046118.PORTRAIT.jpg
    PXL_20231026_143046118.PORTRAIT.jpg
    386 KB · Views: 0
With the various different cases I bought for my 8 Pro, I'm playing around switching them on and off. Certain cases like the Otterbox make the already large phone feel stupidly big.

My family laughs at these big Pro sized phones, saying they're just ridiculously large, even family and friends that use iPhone's, almost none of them use the Max size, most have the regular size Pro.

I might have to switch my SIM card to the smaller Pixel 8 and give it a good test run.

I am happy with my pixel 8 so far several weeks in, smaller feeling than my 4a5g but same screen size.
google case is ok not sure i like the silicon feel of it still.
My oldest got the Pro and his battery drains in one day But I told him with larger screen and all the AI stuff with 120 hz and bright screen that will happen.

I just got the official Google silicone case yesterday, the Bay color. It's very pretty and a near looking case, ( even my Wife commented how good it looked ) but it's a slippery almost slimy feeling case, it has a very nice comfortable feel in the hand, but feels like it could slide away.

Surprised the Mous case actually has a better feel, slightly more grip.

Of all the cases I bought, the $14 Ringke clear matte case has the best grip, feels solid in the hand, while also almost sticking to your palm.

I also got 2 other clear cases, the official Google clear case, that thing sucks, very stiff and slick feeling. And the Otterbox clear case from WorstBuy, they thing is a beast and it's supposedly the thinner Otterbox case, bit it feels huge and again super stiff / rigid, very difficult to remove off the phone, and it doesn't have the best grip, it's actually almost so hard it's slick.

To wrap up, I like the clear matte Ringke case #1, and the super thin Mous case #2.

Yes and a weak chip IS a weak chip!
Offloading processing aka cloud computing with video and pictures is a serious privacy risk.
That aside, the processing time is excessive.

Lack of UHD60 HDR support is a joke too. Combination of weak CPU and slow ass UFS 3.0 writes is culprit.

Snapdragon 8 Gen 3 is around the corner and will just crush this.

7 year support everyone is touting is a joke. Who under 70 keeps their phones that long?

I'm lucky if I keep a phone six months! 🙃

I know the Pixel has inferior hardware to the competition and that the Snapdragon kicks Tensor's butt.

Yet the UI is smooth and the phone feels very fluid. My Pixel 8 Pro feels every bit a flagship. Yes I do wish it had the SD 8 gen 3 and UFS 4, that would be great, but it doesn't s d the phone still feels amazing to use daily.

I did seriously look at the S23 Ultra before my Pixel 8 Pro, but the TouchWiz UI isn't my thing, with the duplicate apps and bloatware.

Halloween themed home screen:

Attachments

• Screenshot_20231029-180820.png
    Screenshot_20231029-180820.png
    1 MB · Views: 0
I got an email from Google for 20% off Pixel 8 or Pixel 8 Pro. Too expensive for me...can anyone use the code? Expires 11/12/2023

7 year support everyone is touting is a joke. Who under 70 keeps their phones that long?

Do the 70+ers not matter? :D I'll be there someday. My parents are there now - and would keep their phones for 7 years or more if they could. But I'll replace their phones well before that point.

The big benefit of the Pixel 8 Pro to me at the moment is the flat screen. But that benefit may not matter for much longer, if Samsung does release the S24U with the rumored flat screen. The option to root/de-Google the Pixel phones is also nice - but I'm not sure how much I still care about that.

Yes flat screen is indeed a big step in the right direction!
Samsung needs to follow suit as well.

Do the 70+ers not matter? :D I'll be there someday. My parents are there now - and would keep their phones for 7 years or more if they could. But I'll replace their phones well before that point.

The big benefit of the Pixel 8 Pro to me at the moment is the flat screen. But that benefit may not matter for much longer, if Samsung does release the S24U with the rumored flat screen. The option to root/de-Google the Pixel phones is also nice - but I'm not sure how much I still care about that.
70+ are still using flip phones.

I don't think I'll need 7 years, but I do know that the 3 years on my Pixel 3 XL was too short.

Right now I got a new phone (the 8 Pro) after 18 months, but that's only because of the financial support from the carrier change. The Pixel 6 would probably have lasted me the 5 years that they promised security updates.

Originally posted in a telegram channel by Sultan (a well respected kernel developer):

Tensor G3 freqbench results for the curious: https://github.com/kerneltoast/freqbench/blob/tensor/results/zuma/main/run.log

You can compare them to the Tensor G2 results and have a nice chuckle: https://github.com/kerneltoast/freqbench/blob/tensor/results/gs201/main/run.log

Tl;dr: Efficiency is much worse on Tensor G3's mid and high clusters compared to G2's mid and high clusters. Only G3's little cluster is more efficient than G2's little cluster. Also, G3's mid cluster is worse than G2's mid cluster for both efficiency and peak performance.

Peak performance difference between each CPU core type in G3 versus G2:
Little core: A510 is 20.6% faster than A55
Mid core: A715 is 4.0% slower than A78 (and the A715 uses more power! A78 is both faster and more efficient!!)
High core: X3 is 18.0% faster than X1

Hey ya'll so i've been using a Galaxy S10+ for a while now. I've always only used Samsung phones. I recently received the Google Pixel 8 Pro in the mail due to my ability to upgrade my phone for free through my job, and holy crap is the Pixel 8 Pro heavy. I used the phone for 5 minutes before I put it back in the box and sent it back. I couldn't believe how heavy the phone was and I am genuinely surprised that people are okay with it or rather it's not mentioned more in reviews... it's a full ounce and a third heavier than my S10+. Maybe people have just gotten more and more used to using heavier phones I guess.

The Pixel 8 Pro is on the lighter weight side as far as flagship big phones;

Pixel 8 Pro = 7.5 oz
Galaxy S23 Ultra = 8.2 oz
iPhone 15 Pro Max = 7.8 oz
Nothing Phone 2 = 7.1 oz

The Google phone weighs less than the flagships from Apple and Samsung.

Last year's iPhone 14 Pro Max weighed 8.5 oz that was a big boy.

Both the smaller Pixel 8 and iPhone 15 Pro weigh the same 6.6 oz.

Back to that article about jank or stutters? I actually do see a very little bit of this, but mostly when unlocking the phone, when the AOD black screen lights up the wallpaper to show the full clock and it's about to unlock the phone, right there that black transition to the colored wallpaper and the clock changing from white in the AOD, to then the color clock, I do see some minor miscrostutters for a split second.

And just sometimes, very rarely, when closing an app and opening another, I might see super split second stutter.

My Wife still hasn't taken the smaller Pixel 8 yet, so I still play with it, and have it setup almsot identically to my 8 Pro, and the smaller 8 does not show that AOD lock screen to fade into unlocking, that minor jank I get on the 8 Pro is not there at all on the 8.

Now this is not a deal breaker or making me change my opinion on the Pixel 8 Pro whatsoever, I LOVE this phone, and know that in a patch or two this will get ironed out. But honest thoughts are, the smaller Pixel 8 just seems ever so slightly smoother for some odd reason, it's barely noticeable, the difference, but swiping through apps, opening and closing them, go into settings, and exit and fade out, etc... the Pixel 8 is just a tad smoother and more fluid than the 8 Pro, from what I see.
it's the animations. The phone is not stuttering.

I cannot recommend this case enough, got it for the smaller Pixel 8, and my goodness it feels so good in the hand, with the smooth wood back, and there's little dimples / bumps on the rubbery sides for AMAZING grip and feel, plus it looks super cool.

It's been out-of-stock for the 8 Pro and just came back in-stock. For a $9.99 priced case, this feels every bit as good as those $60 wood cases. Ships from Germany.

Size wise this case is thicker than the super thin Mous case, but thinner than the official Google silicone case. I'd say it's on the thinner size, but not a super thin case, more mid range thickness, but way smaller than like an Otterbox.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0C9JF66DX?psc=1&smid=AMSX5DNP8SYFQ&ref_=chk_typ_imgToDp

Last edited:
As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
Back