Opinion on a computer if you have time

Huan

[H]ard|Gawd
Just curious what you folks think of this setup for the price.. They have these in stock at my local costco. From what I can tell, its a good deal.. But I still like opinions.. It's been a damn long time sense I built a rig. But honestly I think it would be hard to beat this price if I did it myself... What do yall think? Or have something better in the price range??

https://www.costco.com/msi-codex-r-...0f---geforce-rtx-3060.product.4000052482.html

if you were to build one yourself, would you consider used parts?
Um, well, would depend on how used... I purchased my last computer from costco several years ago, but its just now starting to show its age. I'm not sure if I can even still manage to put one together now days lol. Let alone install windoze on it from scratch. I used to do that stuff all the time but fell out of the loop with distros past windows 7

You could probably save a couple hundred building it yourself if you took a little time to look for good deals on all the individual parts. It doesn't seem terrible though.

I'm too paranoid to use a machine I haven't built as my main rig, but that's just me. I like to know it was put together with care and to pick my own cooling devices and such. And I've built so many that it usually takes me under an hour to assemble as long as I have everything.

But you do you, if you feel good about it I say go for it. MSI usually doesn't make junk, and it looks like there is a 90 day return policy and 2 year warranty.

What monitor will you be using? The parts aren't necessarily ideal for a 4K monitor setup, but below that should be okay. For the CPU I'd rather go with an OC'd 13600K than a 12700K personally, if going with Intel. It probably makes more sense to go with a newer DDR5 platform too rather than with DDR4 at that budget. But it's easy to start getting nitpicky with new systems...

Configuring a higher quality better performing $1500 rig would be easy.

The cons- last gen CPU and GPU (the 3060 isn't much of a gaming card). Unknown PSU (low quality PSUs don't make for ideal upgrades), memory and MB (guaranteed to be a cut down version of one of their low end boards). Unknown heatsink/aio and case cooling. MSI sells 50 different versions of this computer and they all have different components. So researching this specific unit is a pita. If you go by the Codex line itself it's alright. Not great but not terrible either.
The pros- It has a solid warranty. Costco stands behind their products.
The real question is, do you want mess with building your own rig? It doesn't sound like it. So this is probably among the best you'll find with a solid warranty @$1500.

Received a flyer from costco today funny enough telling me about their upcoming sale.. They have the iBUYPOWER machine going on sale on the 17th, very similar setup with 32gig ram, geforce rtx 3060 with 12GB, the drawback is only the one SSD drive is all the harddrive it has, but that I can deal with when time comes, it will be 1,149.99 when it drops in price.. But my concern is, who/what makes the ibuypower brand. The name just feels cheap quality.. But the one in my original link is in stock at the local store, the online is clearly out of inventory. Need to see what a 3060 is going for these days.. When they where in their peak price it was a no brainer to buy a premade with the card in it... Well for me anyways..

Received a flyer from costco today funny enough telling me about their upcoming sale.. They have the iBUYPOWER machine going on sale on the 17th, very similar setup with 32gig ram, geforce rtx 3060 with 12GB, the drawback is only the one SSD drive is all the harddrive it has, but that I can deal with when time comes, it will be 1,149.99 when it drops in price.. But my concern is, who/what makes the ibuypower brand. The name just feels cheap quality.. But the one in my original link is in stock at the local store, the online is clearly out of inventory. Need to see what a 3060 is going for these days.. When they where in their peak price it was a no brainer to buy a premade with the card in it... Well for me anyways..
i thought ibuypower was an amazon thing....
ask them to match the old sale price

The usual things apply:
- don't get to know what kind of PSU is in there or even the wattage
- usually you know nothing about the mobo, but in this case you at least know it probably is MSI
- no info about the SSD, could be QLC class bad

If you build yourself you can probably get a quality 1 TB SSD for OS/programs and a 2 or 4 TB SSD for storage/games. HDs are kinda out of fashion and depending on the game can have excessive load times (e.g. DCS).

I went into costsco today for something unrelated. I actually saw what I think was that machine sitting there so I took a gander....

First, they looked like they had a very similar machine sitting there for a couple hundred dollars less with the only difference being it didn't have the HDD. I didn't spend a lot of time comparing, but i thought that was suspicious.

the PSU was a 600watt. I don't remember the brand.

The one I saw had two sticks of ram.

I think the cooler was a tower cooler.

I also find it odd that they have this one: https://www.costco.com/msi-aegis-r-...0f---geforce-rtx-3060.product.4000139139.html for the same price but with a 13700 instead.

If I had $1500, this might be an interesting direction: https://pcpartpicker.com/list/PhFJ6r

I went into costsco today for something unrelated. I actually saw what I think was that machine sitting there so I took a gander....

First, they looked like they had a very similar machine sitting there for a couple hundred dollars less with the only difference being it didn't have the HDD. I didn't spend a lot of time comparing, but i thought that was suspicious.

the PSU was a 600watt. I don't remember the brand.

The one I saw had two sticks of ram.

I think the cooler was a tower cooler.

I also find it odd that they have this one: https://www.costco.com/msi-aegis-r-...0f---geforce-rtx-3060.product.4000139139.html for the same price but with a 13700 instead.

If I had $1500, this might be an interesting direction: https://pcpartpicker.com/list/PhFJ6r
Sorry for the delay. We've been occupied with the new Zelda game :-p Interesting build you selected there. How have the AMD systems been holding up these days?

Sorry for the delay. We've been occupied with the new Zelda game :-p Interesting build you selected there. How have the AMD systems been holding up these days?
That isn't the new amd stuff...that is the last gen.

I have a 5950x that is just fine.

Reactions: Huan
like this
Goodness those MSI systems have some ugly ass cases :ROFLMAO:

Lenovo Legion's look nice, for big brand prebuilt

At $1500, this would be a big, fat NO in my book....considering that you never know what brand/model/tier level of the key parts (mobo, PSU, ram,SSD) was used in it, could be top notch (doubtful), could be bottom barrel (likely mid-tier)... & they don't break out the specifics either, at least not on the website....so if you have one nearby that you could physically inspect, then I would do that 1st...

Having said that however, at $999, it could be a "maybe", seeins how an average, NEW mid-tier 3060 goes for about $300 right now (but dropping fast), as does the CPU, so I would at least consider it for an office/low-level gammr rig, but that's about as far as I would wanna stretch it...

But as others have said already, for $1500 you could easily build a nicer rig yourself that would beat this one by a good margin on almost every front, and have the satisfaction of knowing that you chose the parts and used great care in putting it together... which by the way is similar or perhaps even a tad easier than in the W7 days...and installing windows from a USB drive is essentially a painless, point & click deal after downloading it using M$'s Media creation tool :D

If you want/need someone to build it for you, I know a guy.... that will do it for a reasonable fee, as long as you pay the final shipping to get it to you 🤪

Back