Official PS5 Thread

Just the digital version is more expensive but yeah it makes no sense for it to go up $50 in price. They've had the current PS5 disc version on sale for $450 a couple times at different stores.

I'm sure Sony just doesn't want the digital version undercutting the disc version. It wasn't really an issue before, because the only way you could 'upgrade' a digital to a disc was to buy a disc system, now though, you can get an add-on.

Still, I'm digging the new look. I wouldn't go out and grab one to replace my current PS5, however if Gamestop had a decent trade-in program for the new model, I might take advantage of that.

It’s not more expensive, your dollars are worth less than they were when the system launched.
The value of the dollar has nothing to do with the price hike. It's 50 dollars more than the bigger version. The bigger version's price didn't increase because of inflation. The price hike is because that's what Sony felt like doing. You're talking out of your arse.

The value of the dollar has nothing to do with the price hike. It's 50 dollars more than the bigger version. The bigger version's price didn't increase because of inflation. The price hike is because that's what Sony felt like doing. You're talking out of your arse.
More likely that demand for the digital edition higher than than the disc edition. Basic economics says with all things being equal, as demand goes up price goes up. The leaked documents in Microsoft's case showed that the Series S is outselling the Series X 3:1, so it may be a similar case for Sony. Though you can't ignore the inflation aspect. Sony was already selling the PS5 at a loss, and that margin has just gotten worse with inflation. Would you keep selling a product at the same price if you're losing more money in doing so?

Kinda dirty, looks like the PS5 Slim vertical stand will be sold separately (at 29.99 USD).

More likely that demand for the digital edition higher than than the disc edition. Basic economics says with all things being equal, as demand goes up price goes up. The leaked documents in Microsoft's case showed that the Series S is outselling the Series X 3:1, so it may be a similar case for Sony. Though you can't ignore the inflation aspect. Sony was already selling the PS5 at a loss, and that margin has just gotten worse with inflation. Would you keep selling a product at the same price if you're losing more money in doing so?
Sony has always sold their consoles at a loss and they've made up for it with subscription sales, among other things.

I woulda been more upset if they have radically changed the design to you know make it a shape with flat sides. Other regions for the price hikes already well before the slim so it’s not really much of a surprise at this point.

Who cares how it looks? With the slim run cooler or hoter? Will it be nosier then the original? Those are more important. Either way have no interest in it. Doubt I would even buy a Pro if released at this point.

Reactions: T4rd
like this
I think I might trade my launch PS5 for the slim, if just to make it easier to travel with. I like to bring my PS5 on some trips we do for family gaming and stuff, and it's hilarious that it takes up 85% (no exaggeration) of the LxW of an overhead carry-on luggage bag. So I hope it's at most 2/3 of the volume of the original PS5. Otherwise I don't care what it looks like really and other than the BD disc drive (which can get a bit loud actually), you can't really improve on the PS5's acoustics so hopefully not much changes there.

But I'll prolly hold out for the inevitable Pro in another year or two.

I woulda been more upset if they have radically changed the design to you know make it a shape with flat sides. Other regions for the price hikes already well before the slim so it’s not really much of a surprise at this point.
I would have preferred a boxy design. It's annoying that I have to use a stand to place the console horizontally.

Inflation doesn’t exist (or rather doesn’t exist in the gaming industry) and I’m talking out my arse? Sure thing buddy guy.

Sony raised the price of the digital console because they can with their current success. Not much else to it. Microsoft did basically the same thing with the Black 1TB Series S with the $50 price hike though. It prolly cost them an extra $5 for the extra SSD chip to upgrade it.
And Nintendo is still selling the same Switch hardware for $300 after almost 7 years, lol. There margins on that have to be crazy at this point.

Sony raised the price of the digital console because they can with their current success. Not much else to it. Microsoft did basically the same thing with the Black 1TB Series S with the $50 price hike though. It prolly cost them an extra $5 for the extra SSD chip to upgrade it.
And Nintendo is still selling the same Switch hardware for $300 after almost 7 years, lol. There margins on that have to be crazy at this point.
Nintendo also raised the price for the switch OLED to $350. Doubt a OLED screen cost more then a extra $5 also.

I saw a PS5 slim bundle it's bundled with MW3. The box is about 1/3 smaller think it's a Black Friday special.

Took a chance on another cover got a electro plated cover hope I like my purple cover is ok but it's too dark. This one had a 30 percent coupon.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20231022-093546.png
    Screenshot_20231022-093546.png
    468.1 KB · Views: 1
IMG_20231024_213550001.jpg

Now this is Red says in small print ABS plastic. Hoping I can still use the stock stand with this Horizontal wise.

I took off the cover I had on it you can see where the fan just swirls dust and moisture on the fae plate. So it basically was cosmetic when the designed it the way they did. I don't mind the vent holes in the new one it tucked away in my shelf so I don't see them anyway.

The thing is when the PS5 slim comes out whole new spec of moding needs to beade for the smaller design unless it's the same specs for the outside cover.

Last edited:
Kinda strange, my PX has been selling the disk version at $479 (tax free) for the past week. Haven't seen it for sale below MSRP anywhere before

1000008165.jpg

If your holding out for a PS5 Slim Walmart and other places are going to have a ton of them come BF. Comes with MW3 digital code the only drawback it looks just like the PS5 with a black stripe down the middle. I mean they could of made it a desirable color but then nobody would customize it. I gotta work on Black Friday but we are closed Thanksgiving and I'll have to help for two hours with the sale. My job is cleanup in Toys LOL yeah hide me in Toys not sure who planned think the new manager did that but it's only for two hours I'm not sure how bad it's going to be.

How long till the next PS5 killer app?
FF7 Rebirth in Feb, then Wolverine sometime next year if Insomniac can keep up with their insane pacing launching quality games on an annual basis for the past few years. Otherwise there doesn't seem like much left in the shute.

I'm wondering wtf Naughty Dog is up to other than wasting resources on the TLoU multiplayer vaporware. I'm hoping they announce a new IP soon or something that doesn't seem any more "progressive" as TLoU Part 2 was (to be clear though I really enjoyed that game, but it's definitely divisive for good reason).

At this point there are a boatload of killer multiplatform titles and Spider Man 2 just rolled out, so Sony probably doesn't feel much pressure to roll out more exclusives right now. They're comfortably ahead and there are plenty of games for people to play.

Not sure if this has been mentioned, but it feels like the Mini is supposed to hold over potential PS5 buyers for the holiday season.
What it "feels like" to me is that they wanted to develop a Pro model but just couldn't get it out in time this year.

So, while I'm interested in the Slim, it feels like I should just wait for the "Slim Pro" to drop, whenever that will be.

Not sure if this has been mentioned, but it feels like the Mini is supposed to hold over potential PS5 buyers for the holiday season.
What it "feels like" to me is that they wanted to develop a Pro model but just couldn't get it out in time this year.

So, while I'm interested in the Slim, it feels like I should just wait for the "Slim Pro" to drop, whenever that will be.
No. Slim is just about cutting costs.

It's about more than that. Costs yes, but offering a new model to people on the fence also helps to push systems. As it's "newer". It definitely has a psychological effect. I'm "aware" of it (the psychological effect), and it still makes me want to buy it since it's new and hot.

It also let them fix some of the thermal issues with the design (though they did sneak a version that's better without a "hardware revision change"). Smaller, cooled better, and even more quiet.
And since the Slim will become the defacto model after the fat sells out, it will help also sell new accessories up to and including the drive to people that want to upgrade their systems. They also finally put a full 1TB drive in the PS5, which though 160GB~ of extra space isn't "mind blowing" definitely helps installing an extra 2-3 games or so +/- which I'm certain will be welcomed by anyone getting it as opposed to the original fat.

So while I think it's easy to minimize all of these changes, all of them put together has a much bigger effect than you're giving credit for.

It is not. Almost no one is going to be upgrading their current PS5 to the slim. Waste of money. The slim in general was always lesser then the original in the past. Not better.

It is not. Almost no one is going to be upgrading their current PS5 to the slim. Waste of money. The slim in general was always lesser then the original in the past. Not better.
I love my pamphlet-sized PlayStation 2 Super Slim, though...

Often times in the past backwards compatibility was sacrificed with the slim models but thanks to the hardware design of the PS5 the revision doesn’t effect BC.
Every single PlayStation generation they’ve made a slim model, it’s just a mid Gen refresh, taking advantage of the smaller APU die size and lower cooling/power requirements.

I hope people don’t get their hopes to high for a pro model this time around, Sony only did that once in the past and I fail to see how it would benefit them this generation. They’d be much better off just holding any advancements for the next generation console. I expect that to be delayed due to WW3. Likely cancelled if it goes nuclear.

I hope people don’t get their hopes to high for a pro model this time around, Sony only did that once in the past and I fail to see how it would benefit them this generation. They’d be much better off just holding any advancements for the next generation console.
So now he thinks that the pro could be on 6nm

For comparison that would be like a monolithic 7700xt on the 6nm (just like the 7600)

View: https://youtube.com/watch?v=r4pnDiIa8qk

Screenshot_20231101-081848_Opera.jpg

Black Friday stuff is going on this week and next week at Walmart I was in Toys but was bored out of my mind while everyone was doing work.
I escaped from there and I was cleaning up a debris mess from the pallets. I went pass the hot ticket item table they asked me to buy something.
I asked if they had any PS5 slims she said no but they had X49 Spiderman PS5s I think the slims are for next week. Or the week after.
Those Spiderman PS5s are going to be a hard sell because the outer plates are funky looking. Sony shouldn't devote a single game to their PS5 design
even if it's a hot game I mean if the Design was good maybe put Venom on there instead of Spiderman.

Back