Official PS5 Thread

Screenshot_20230719-110516.png

Was looking at Elite controllers then I saw this for a PS controller I'm not using my white PS5 controller for anything. Not sure if I would like a silicone wrap would just use it for PC games.

After reading reviews I guess the thumbsticks don't fit.

View attachment 584304

Was looking at Elite controllers then I saw this for a PS controller I'm not using my white PS5 controller for anything. Not sure if I would like a silicone wrap would just use it for PC games.

After reading reviews I guess the thumbsticks don't fit.
You get sweaty hands?

I admit that the plastic on the Dualsense is rather slippery, though. I wish the grips built into the Xbox Elite were a standard feature on controllers these days.

I just think silcone would be good for precision not necessarily running in FPS games. I like the Xbox elite tall thumbsticks that are rounded. I'm using that for Wartales.

I managed to snag a code by monitoring a couple reddit threads:
Most active: https://www.reddit.com/r/PS5/comments/15esh42/code_for_ps5_beta_from_usa/?sort=new
https://www.reddit.com/r/playstation/comments/15eb718/ps5_beta_firmware_rolls_out_today/?sort=new

Login to the PlayStation store on your computer, occasionally refresh the above pages, when a code appears paste it into the code redemption area for your profile.

Astro's Playroom sounded good, Forbidden West was also good (think I'll finally play the DLC), but the bass sounded a little weak. In Ratchet & Clank: Rift Apart and GoW Ragnarok, you can see in their audio settings that they default to 'TV speakers' 3D mode because Atmos is enabled; the audio is still properly shifted around all speakers, but the dynamic range is crushed and the audio is probably EQ'd a bit flatter. I've not yet done an A/B comparison, but I wouldn't be surprised if they're all defaulting to the TV dynamic range preset. Atmos is working properly, but pre-Atmos games will need to be updated to understand that 'home theater' is now an option when 3D audio is enabled; I wouldn't get excited about older games getting updated since that'll be up to the developers.

Most active: https://www.reddit.com/r/PS5/comments/15esh42/code_for_ps5_beta_from_usa/?sort=new
https://www.reddit.com/r/playstation/comments/15eb718/ps5_beta_firmware_rolls_out_today/?sort=new

Login to the PlayStation store on your computer, occasionally refresh the above pages, when a code appears paste it into the code redemption area for your profile.

Astro's Playroom sounded good, Forbidden West was also good (think I'll finally play the DLC), but the bass sounded a little weak. In Ratchet & Clank: Rift Apart and GoW Ragnarok, you can see in their audio settings that they default to 'TV speakers' 3D mode because Atmos is enabled; the audio is still properly shifted around all speakers, but the dynamic range is crushed and the audio is probably EQ'd a bit flatter. I've not yet done an A/B comparison, but I wouldn't be surprised if they're all defaulting to the TV dynamic range preset. Atmos is working properly, but pre-Atmos games will need to be updated to understand that 'home theater' is now an option when 3D audio is enabled; I wouldn't get excited about older games getting updated since that'll be up to the developers.

LOL, I literally did this in like 30 seconds. Someone posted a fresh code the instant I popped onto Reddit. Thanks!

To follow up on this, all aforementioned games, EXCEPT Ratchet and Clank, seem to work sound fine in Atmos mode with regards to the dynamic range or listening options. GoW does lock itself to the 'TV speakers' option, but it doesn't seem to cut the bass like Ratchet and Clank. For Ratchet and Clank, go to the club in Nefarious City and you will notice that the loud bass is significantly cut. The Resident Evil 4 Remake demo also sounds great.

So I just got mine setup--and didn't end up trading in the XSX--so my initial thoughts. It's uh large. Having to use the stand for horizontal...why not just 1 flat side? The included HDMI cable is pretty short. It seems to integrate nicely with my Sony TV although I did still have to fumble through a few TV settings to things like VRR and HDR enabled.

But about this damn stand, are there any aftermarket sides that make it sit flat without it? I just got a feeling the toddler is going to end up having a good time making it a teeter totter because there is still some play in it when the front right corner is pushed.

So I just got mine setup--and didn't end up trading in the XSX--so my initial thoughts. It's uh large. Having to use the stand for horizontal...why not just 1 flat side? The included HDMI cable is pretty short. It seems to integrate nicely with my Sony TV although I did still have to fumble through a few TV settings to things like VRR and HDR enabled.

But about this damn stand, are there any aftermarket sides that make it sit flat without it? I just got a feeling the toddler is going to end up having a good time making it a teeter totter because there is still some play in it when the front right corner is pushed.
I don't know about flat side panels, but there are 3rd-party solutions that move the balance point from the center to the edges. I don't know how well they would work against a curious child, though. This one uses the screw hole for the vertical position to affix the stand to the console, unlike most of the others.

https://oivogames.com/products/ps5-horizontal-stand-oivo

I don't know about flat side panels, but there are 3rd-party solutions that move the balance point from the center to the edges. I don't know how well they would work against a curious child, though. This one uses the screw hole for the vertical position to affix the stand to the console, unlike most of the others.

https://oivogames.com/products/ps5-horizontal-stand-oivo

Thanks I’ll give it a look. Hadn’t had much time since getting those initial impressions to take a look into anything. I do wonder how secure the non screw side is. Guess I’ll take some time to read through the Amazon reviews.

Apart from Spider Man 2, is there any other killer game coming on PS5 this year?
Not really any exclusives for the rest of the year. I'm playing the Metal Gear 3 remake on PS5 though, because to me it's just a PlayStation brand/series. It's dumb, but it just feels at home on PS since that's where I've played all of them since MGS.

Have you all had much luck with PS Remote Play? I gave it a shot as I was hoping to play Demon's Souls on the go through my laptop but the results are pretty lackluster; lots of lag, poor visuals, even poor audio.. is this to be expected? Hotel internet is never really worth a damn but even on my home network it was pretty bad.

Have you all had much luck with PS Remote Play? I gave it a shot as I was hoping to play Demon's Souls on the go through my laptop but the results are pretty lackluster; lots of lag, poor visuals, even poor audio.. is this to be expected? Hotel internet is never really worth a damn but even on my home network it was pretty bad.
Yeah, Remote Play is unfortunately not very well optimized in general in my experience. The PC app specifically I think needs some work, as streaming to my desktop on my own LAN with everything wired gigabit was pretty bad at least in image quality, latency was acceptable for most games. Somehow using the mobile app looks like it uses a better bitrate or something, as it looks sharper on my phone and latency is good enough on my LAN as well (phone is wireless of course). I would recommend this PSPlay app if you want to play on mobile as well, as it lets you force a LAN or remote session and manually change the streaming quality and stuff.

I'm hoping and expecting Sony to update the Remote Play clients and feature to work better with the release of their upcoming Project Q. If they don't improve how well remote plays in general, that thing is going to be a hard flop immediately, because it's likely to flop even if they do improve it and it works perfectly otherwise.

I'm assuming this device won't be able to communicate with the PS5 directly (ala Wii U and its gamepad) but will require at least a router. If this isn't the case, and these things can connect with each other without extra hardware, then I could see a use for it as a travel companion. Right now I'm using my Steam Deck for night shifts, but if I could utilize the power of my PS5 and the Portal to play the game as a mobile device in the office - that'd be pretty cool.

I'd complain about the battery life on this thing, but I don't really see it as a true mobile device, so its short 4 hour-ish battery life is probably fine.

But - yeah, can't really see this being a big seller, and I imagine we'll be seeing it heavily discounted like the PS TV was after that hardware failed.

Sony’s PlayStation division is acquiring headphone maker Audeze

Sony Interactive Entertainment LLC (“SIE”) announced today that it has entered into an agreement to acquire Audeze, a leading audio technology brand and pioneer of high-end gaming headphones...Audeze will operate independently and still make products for multiple platforms, though Sony notes that it will be “benefiting from being a part of the PlayStation ecosystem”...

https://www.theverge.com/2023/8/24/...ion-division-acquiring-headphone-maker-audeze

Sony’s PlayStation division is acquiring headphone maker Audeze

Sony Interactive Entertainment LLC (“SIE”) announced today that it has entered into an agreement to acquire Audeze, a leading audio technology brand and pioneer of high-end gaming headphones...Audeze will operate independently and still make products for multiple platforms, though Sony notes that it will be “benefiting from being a part of the PlayStation ecosystem”...

https://www.theverge.com/2023/8/24/...ion-division-acquiring-headphone-maker-audeze

Are you serious? I hope the quality doesn't go bad like every other gaming headphone. I have a set of Maxwell's they are ok but I haven't tried them with my PS5 .

PlayStation Plus price increase

Starting September 6 we will be increasing the price for PlayStation Plus 12-month subscriptions globally across all benefit plans...this price adjustment will enable us to continue bringing high-quality games and value-added benefits to your PlayStation Plus subscription service...

12-months:

Essential - $79.99
Extra - $134.99
Premium - $159.99

https://blog.playstation.com/2023/0...lack-desert-traveler-edition-generation-zero/

PlayStation Plus price increase

Starting September 6 we will be increasing the price for PlayStation Plus 12-month subscriptions globally across all benefit plans...this price adjustment will enable us to continue bringing high-quality games and value-added benefits to your PlayStation Plus subscription service...

12-months:

Essential - $79.99
Extra - $134.99
Premium - $159.99

https://blog.playstation.com/2023/0...lack-desert-traveler-edition-generation-zero/
They waited for the price increase to Game Pass to roll out their price increase so they could undercut Microsoft. Well played, Sony.

They waited for the price increase to Game Pass to roll out their price increase so they could undercut Microsoft. Well played, Sony.

I'm not sure it will help them since they also announced this on Starfield's release, that won't be on the PS5 any time soon. Regardless, it was just further fuel for me to not renew. I meant to cut it off last year but it was auto-charged because I forgot to cancel and/or remove my credit card on my PS account.

Reminds me though, I need to see if I have any save games in the PS+ cloud before my sub ends in two days.

Back