NCASE M1: a crowdfunded Mini-ITX case (updates in first post)

I'm attempting to mount the Noctua CH 14 HSF onto the i7-6700k on the Asus Z170i Pro Gaming motherboard.The backplate is mounted on the backside of the MB. The 2 crescent shaped moon brackets are mounted to the screws that came through the backplate to the topside of the MB.

There are no holes on the brackets to attach the 2 mounting screws attached to the CPU block of the CH 14.

HUH?

Can you take a pic of your mounting system/C14 etc? There should be 2 little screw-like nibs on the brackets that the mounting screws on the noctua goes down onto.

I'm attempting to mount the Noctua CH 14 HSF onto the i7-6700k on the Asus Z170i Pro Gaming motherboard.The backplate is mounted on the backside of the MB. The 2 crescent shaped moon brackets are mounted to the screws that came through the backplate to the topside of the MB.

There are no holes on the brackets to attach the 2 mounting screws attached to the CPU block of the CH 14.

HUH?

Does this help?

Noctua NH-C14S C-Style CPU Cooler Review
This page specifically shows the installation.

What is your setup, as far as other fans in the case?
Just the 140 mm in, and a 92 mm out. Video card w/ a blower.

I have tried the prolimatech thin 140 as well as the noctua, both seem to keep idle between 24-28 c...

I figured it out...DUH.... I was tired last night...thanks.

Another question(s)...
Is there some consensus about the best setup for the Noctua C14 on this MB and case? ...Use 1 fan or the 2 of them...If using only one then above the radiator? Push or pull?

There're folks here who have left the spot under the heatsink emply, with either a 140mm (or twin 120s) above as intake. They'd install a 92mm fan as exhaust to pull heat away from under space between the heatsink and the MB.

You can also reverse the flow of the above setting so that CPU heat is expelled directly.

I prefer to get rid of the heat directly from the small case, I used a 120mm under the heatsink, and two 120mm fans on the side bracket. I've tried intake (lower CPU temps, higher MB / case temps) and exhaust (slightly higher CPU temps, lower MB / case temps).

Any ETA on when the steel fan bracket with magnetic filter and right angle power cable will be back in stock?

Last edited:
Just wondering what' blue-ray optical drives people were getting now adays? The previous panasonic I had bookmarked on amazon is not going to be coming back in stock. The other options I had found were pretty pricey and I didn't remember the last panasonic drive being so expensive.

Just wondering what' blue-ray optical drives people were getting now adays? The previous panasonic I had bookmarked on amazon is not going to be coming back in stock. The other options I had found were pretty pricey and I didn't remember the last panasonic drive being so expensive.

This is the one I got:
Silverstone 12.7mm SATA Interface Slot Load 6X Blu-Ray Writer with 8X CD/DVD RW Drive (SOB02)

there's a non-writer one:
SilverStone Technology SOD03 9.5 & 12.7mm Slot Load ODD Component

Mine appear similar / identical as the Panasonic version. Perhaps one is the OEM?

My R9 Nano had to be sent in for RMA, so I had to bring the old girl out of retirement. It's good to know that it fits :p

Behold, the ancient HD6970

IMAG0250.jpg

pe550-main.jpg

Well here is another option for a PSU for the Ncase, the Lian Li PE-550 SFX-L. As you can see the modular connectors are flush. Should help with any clearance issues with long GPUs, unfortunately the connectors on the 750 watt are not flush.

This is the one I got:
Silverstone 12.7mm SATA Interface Slot Load 6X Blu-Ray Writer with 8X CD/DVD RW Drive (SOB02)

Mine appear similar / identical as the Panasonic version. Perhaps one is the OEM?

I got the same one. This is just a rebranded Panasonic model people were using when the Ncase V1 first came out. In my paper manual it even stated it was the Panasonic. LOL

There're folks here who have left the spot under the heatsink emply, with either a 140mm (or twin 120s) above as intake. They'd install a 92mm fan as exhaust to pull heat away from under space between the heatsink and the MB.

You can also reverse the flow of the above setting so that CPU heat is expelled directly.

I prefer to get rid of the heat directly from the small case, I used a 120mm under the heatsink, and two 120mm fans on the side bracket. I've tried intake (lower CPU temps, higher MB / case temps) and exhaust (slightly higher CPU temps, lower MB / case temps).

Thanks...

I'm thinking one of the stock Noctua C14 fans above the rad blowing down, and then either 2 of my other Noctua fans or 2 of my Vardar's use as exhaust on the side panel... sound good?

Thanks...

I'm thinking one of the stock Noctua C14 fans above the rad blowing down, and then either 2 of my other Noctua fans or 2 of my Vardar's use as exhaust on the side panel... sound good?

You won't fit a 140mm on top and 2 120s on the side. You basically pick between a 140mm on the unit itself, or 2 120mm on the side which will pass directly through the heatsink.

You won't fit a 140mm on top and 2 120s on the side. You basically pick between a 140mm on the unit itself, or 2 120mm on the side which will pass directly through the heatsink.
You mean if I use one of the stock fans on the C14 Noctua I can't use my 120mm fans on the side panel? So then, there would be no direct forced exhaust air out of the case by a case fan?

Could I use one of my 120mm Vardar's on the C14 Noctua heatsink/block? Then 2 120mm fans would fit on the side panel as exhaust?

You mean if I use one of the stock fans on the C14 Noctua I can't use my 120mm fans on the side panel? So then, there would be no direct forced exhaust air out of the case by a case fan?

Could I use one of my 120mm Vardar's on the C14 Noctua heatsink/block? Then 2 120mm fans would fit on the side panel as exhaust?

PSUDuctV35_zpsf4d3b80c.jpg

Here is a Noctua C14 with 2 side fans mounted, as you can see there is no place to mount the top fan on the Noctua. You can have one or the other.

My C14 has a 120mm on the inside, and a 120/140mm combo on the side.
Works great with my 6600k :)

IMAG0216.jpg

I used the noctua soft-mounts for the extra bit of flexibility needed for the side bracket.
I have the same combo on the bottom, screwed in.

The 120mm fans are NF-F12s (3).
The 140mm fans are the NF-P14 (2) that came with the C14 cooler.
The 92mm exhaust fan is a NF-A9x14 Slim.

PSUDuctV35_zpsf4d3b80c.jpg

Here is a Noctua C14 with 2 side fans mounted, as you can see there is no place to mount the top fan on the Noctua. You can have one or the other.

Great pic... now I see, said the blind man. What fan is that under the Noctua? ...One of the stock fans that came w/ the C14?

I guess I misunderstood Reaper (...thought he said one could not have any fans on the C14 AND side panel fans.)
My C14 has a 120mm on the inside, and a 120/140mm combo on the side.
Works great with my 6600k :)

View attachment 8291

I used the noctua soft-mounts for the extra bit of flexibility needed for the side bracket.
I have the same combo on the bottom, screwed in.

The 120mm fans are NF-F12s (3).
The 140mm fans are the NF-P14 (2) that came with the C14 cooler.
The 92mm exhaust fan is a NF-A9x14 Slim.

Thanks.

Someday, please, before Battlefield 1 comes out (Oct 21), I WILL finish this new build....

Last edited:
The fan is a Noctua NF-A9X14. A lot who use the C14 use this as a rear exhaust and leave the bottom empty.

We may have misunderstood each other XD. But you get the picture( literally) now :D.

Someday, please, before Battlefield 1 comes out (Oct 21), I WILL finish this new build....
Haha, know the feeling, Im on it since 2014... well, made another build in the meantime!
About to finish it also though, who will be first? :p

Haha, know the feeling, Im on it since 2014... well, made another build in the meantime!
About to finish it also though, who will be first? :p

You will be, as I'm a near-incompetent with this tight-quarters/build, and afraid I will f*** this up in some significant way.

The fan is a Noctua NF-A9X14. A lot who use the C14 use this as a rear exhaust and leave the bottom empty.

We may have misunderstood each other XD. But you get the picture( literally) now :D.

So, the Noctua NF-A9X-14, what, on the rear as exhaust, and "...leave the bottomn empty" you stated, meaning no fans at all on the case bottom? And use one of my other 120mm Noctua or Vardar fans as the fan on the C14? Don't tell me, I might finally understand WTF is the way to set all this up....

"What's the name of the guy playing first base?...", "What's the name of the guy playing second base..." , "I'm not asking you who plays second...", "No, who is playing first...", "Who's on first?" "Yes...", I don't know..." "...Third base..."

So, the Noctua NF-A9X-14, what, on the rear as exhaust, and "...leave the bottomn empty" you stated, meaning no fans at all on the case bottom? And use one of my other 120mm Noctua or Vardar fans as the fan on the C14? Don't tell me, I might finally understand WTF is the way to set all this up....

"What's the name of the guy playing first base?...", "What's the name of the guy playing second base..." , "I'm not asking you who plays second...", "No, who is playing first...", "Who's on first?" "Yes...", I don't know..." "...Third base..."
When he said "bottom", he's referring to the fan spot between the heatsink and the CPU. The C14 is considered a top-flow cooler. Not sure who decided to reference cooler orientation with the cooling sitting on top of the CPU, on top of the motherboard...

Good to see that this thread is no longer on a temporary server. I imagine that the size of the thread was a contributing factor to the demise (or ?) of the prior server. ;)

Dont know if anyone asked...is it possible to have lian li make a custom color? I'd like a black case with black on the sides and red in the front. lol

Dont know if anyone asked...is it possible to have lian li make a custom color? I'd like a black case with black on the sides and red in the front. lol
There's an MOQ for everything, so we can't do custom one-off orders like that.

Managed to get my hands on a new Noctua NH-C14. Now the wait for Kaby Lake and the arrival of my freshly ordered NCASE M1 (nov 23rd) is here. Planning everything out as much as possible. Exciting!

Hi Guys,

While waiting for the case, I'm thinking of which card to get.

Do you think EVGA 1070/1080 FTW Hybrid would fit?

They both have the dimensions of 10.50" x 5.06".

I have been considering building a new PC for a while now and I have settled on an Ncase build. I have done a fair bit of research but some things are still unclear to me. Here is my PCPartPicker.

PCPartPicker part list:

CPU: Intel Core i7-6700K 4.0GHz Quad-Core Processor
CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Nepton 120XL 76.0 CFM Liquid CPU Cooler
Motherboard: Asus Z170I PRO GAMING Mini ITX LGA1151 Motherboard
Memory: Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4-3200 Memory
Storage: Intel 600p Series 512GB M.2-2280 Solid State Drive
Video Card: Gigabyte GeForce GTX 1080 8GB Xtreme Gaming Water cooling Video Card
Power Supply: Corsair SF 600W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular SFX Power Supply
Total: $1652.72
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2016-10-01 14:53 EDT-0400

My biggest points of consideration is whether the cooling is adequate. I would really like to get a moderate OC on both the GPU and CPU (100 offset GPU and 4.5 on CPU) but I don't have the expertise to judge if the cooling solution is enough.
The reason I have a AIO for the CPU is portability. I know an air cooler could possibly improve this setup but due to weight an AIO is the most suitable. Will this setup perform better than a 240mm radiator and an air cooled GPU in terms of thermals?

I have been considering building a new PC for a while now and I have settled on an Ncase build. I have done a fair bit of research but some things are still unclear to me. Here is my PCPartPicker.

PCPartPicker part list:

CPU: Intel Core i7-6700K 4.0GHz Quad-Core Processor
CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Nepton 120XL 76.0 CFM Liquid CPU Cooler
Motherboard: Asus Z170I PRO GAMING Mini ITX LGA1151 Motherboard
Memory: Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4-3200 Memory
Storage: Intel 600p Series 512GB M.2-2280 Solid State Drive
Video Card: Gigabyte GeForce GTX 1080 8GB Xtreme Gaming Water cooling Video Card
Power Supply: Corsair SF 600W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular SFX Power Supply
Total: $1652.72
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2016-10-01 14:53 EDT-0400

My biggest points of consideration is whether the cooling is adequate. I would really like to get a moderate OC on both the GPU and CPU (100 offset GPU and 4.5 on CPU) but I don't have the expertise to judge if the cooling solution is enough.
The reason I have a AIO for the CPU is portability. I know an air cooler could possibly improve this setup but due to weight an AIO is the most suitable. Will this setup perform better than a 240mm radiator and an air cooled GPU in terms of thermals?

That Cooler Master would do the job I am sure but it isn't going to fit, 88mm with 2 fans and you only have 85mm available between side bracket and SFX bracket.

Cooler Master: MasterLiquid Pro 120 I would look at something like that. Unless you are doing mad OC on your 6700k it should be fine. Skylake is a pretty cool running chip.

Edit: Sorry that is a dual fan model also, any decent single fan 120mm AIO should work well.

Last edited:
That Cooler Master would do the job I am sure but it isn't going to fit, 88mm with 2 fans and you only have 85mm available between side bracket and SFX bracket.

Cooler Master: MasterLiquid Pro 120 I would look at something like that. Unless you are doing mad OC on your 6700k it should be fine. Skylake is a pretty cool running chip.

Edit: Sorry that is a dual fan model also, any decent single fan 120mm AIO should work well.

Thanks for the response

I was thinking that I would only use one of the fans on the XL so that it would fit and maybe put the other fan on the GPU rad using speedfan, since according to some reviews the stock fan on that one gets quite loud.
My idea was to get a thicker rad whilst still using a single fan since that seemed like "theoretical" best with more surface area and all. But if you're saying most 120 AIOs will do the trick I feel quite reassured.
Now my last consideration is whether I should go with the WaterForce or the Hybrid since the price difference is negligible where I am located.

Back