Microsoft DirectX 12 Video

Keep hanging on to that steam survey for dear life

If you have a better source for information on what core PC gamers use produce it. Otherwise the Steam hardware survey is the best thing we, and developers, have to gauge hardware and software trends among gamers.

Better is a relative term. Windows 7 simply isn't as good for the type of devices I use as Windows 10. If 7 does the job for you, no one here is telling you not to use it.

There are a number of different APIs in Windows to develop applications and that's long been the case. UWA is just another one. Of course UWA distribution is tied to the Windows Store and that's the real beef here. I'm not saying UWA is the way to go for AAA games, the whole Windows Store and "metro" apps started as way to develop and distribute touch and tablet apps but now has expanded to support more traditional types of PC software, AAA games. In any case, the Windows Store is a source of ever more software and obviously some people don't like that for various reasons.

Of course noone here wants me personally to upgrade to 10, it's MS, and MS wants me to ditch 7 and move to 10, more and more feverishly.

And the funny thing is I was ready to give in, if they released XB games for W10. But this crappy handling of things and sandboxing, plus shit performance means. That I'm completely reeled back, and now W10 is completely off the table for me, for the time being. It seems to me, that their plan compltely backfired and they're digging PC gaming's grave. And it's up to the developers if they fall into the trap for short term gain, or refuse UWA and MS.

Keep hanging on to that steam survey for dear life

Oh I just HAVE to hear your rationalization for discarding a survey of the most widely used PC gaming platform on the planet.

I'm sure it has to do with the fact that it flies in the face of your illusions of Linux having some sort of phantom widespread adoption and Windows 10 being rejected.

PLEASE share with the class.

Of course noone here wants me personally to upgrade to 10, it's MS, and MS wants me to ditch 7 and move to 10, more and more feverishly.

And the funny thing is I was ready to give in, if they released XB games for W10. But this crappy handling of things and sandboxing, plus shit performance means. That I'm completely reeled back, and now W10 is completely off the table for me, for the time being. It seems to me, that their plan compltely backfired and they're digging PC gaming's grave. And it's up to the developers if they fall into the trap for short term gain, or refuse UWA and MS.

99.99% of UWA written won't be standard PC/console AAA gaming titles. The vast majority are ports or analogs of applications on iOS or Android. Apps that would never come to Windows as Win32 apps, at best a web app. It's like people getting angry that full Call of Duty coming to the iPhone because it's not a Win32 app. I do get the point why people don't like it but UWA is still a way to get more software onto Windows than otherwise.

Oh I just HAVE to hear your rationalization for discarding a survey of the most widely used PC gaming platform on the planet.

I'm sure it has to do with the fact that it flies in the face of your illusions of Linux having some sort of phantom widespread adoption and Windows 10 being rejected.

PLEASE share with the class.

What I want to hear is why do you want W10 to be adopted so badly? Why does it give you such joy? Oh wait I know: self-justification.
Just because many people adopt it doesn't mean it's a good thing, and a rational choice. Take for example religion.

What I want to hear is why do you want W10 to be adopted so badly? Why does it give you such joy? Oh wait I know: self-justification.
Just because many people adopt it doesn't mean it's a good thing, and a rational choice. Take for example religion.

And that's just it. This isn't a religious thing. It's an OS. Obviously there are those that don't like Windows 10 for various reasons. I personally think some of the reasons a legitimate and some made of whole cloth and others simply not accurate. My reason for using Windows 10 is pretty simple. It has the best overall support of all of the hardware and software I use for work and play. It's that simply. Windows 8.1 would be the next closest thing but as time moves on 8.1 is fading fast and there's not point in trying to install it on cutting edge devices like a Surface Book. And as time goes on I do like much of the new stuff like Cortana.

There are going to be people that like 10, I think it's much better than many here make it out to be. And there really aren't any viable options out there that do all that it can do. I get the concerns over privacy, I do think much of that's overblown, no one has really made the case to me that Microsoft is hiding what it's doing overall though not they have not listed every single detail. The big bank I work for, an organization that has the highest need for privacy and security is going to start deploying it this year. If there were something intrinsically nefarious about 10, they'd NEVER do that. Not ever. No way.

I do? Where'd I say that? I'm just reporting facts, and folks on the other side have none of their own to counter with. Still waiting for an answer to my question as to how you can disregard the survey.

And some rant about religion? Are you lost? Do you think you're on Reddit and fishing for "le upmotes"?

I do? Where'd I say that? I'm just reporting facts, and folks on the other side have none of their own to counter with. Still waiting for an answer to my question as to how you can disregard the survey.

And some rant about religion? Are you lost? Do you think you're on Reddit and fishing for "le upmotes"?
You're right you never said it. But your protection of W10 in the argument implied it.

I never disregarded any survey. Check who you're talking to. I don't doubt how many people upgraded to W10. I however disagree that it proves anything about the quality and usability of the OS.
What rant? It was an example of a choice without rationality. Any other meaning is your own projection.

And that's just it. This isn't a religious thing. It's an OS. Obviously there are those that don't like Windows 10 for various reasons. I personally think some of the reasons a legitimate and some made of whole cloth and others simply not accurate. My reason for using Windows 10 is pretty simple. It has the best overall support of all of the hardware and software I use for work and play. It's that simply. Windows 8.1 would be the next closest thing but as time moves on 8.1 is fading fast and there's not point in trying to install it on cutting edge devices like a Surface Book. And as time goes on I do like much of the new stuff like Cortana.

There are going to be people that like 10, I think it's much better than many here make it out to be. And there really aren't any viable options out there that do all that it can do. I get the concerns over privacy, I do think much of that's overblown, no one has really made the case to me that Microsoft is hiding what it's doing overall though not they have not listed every single detail. The big bank I work for, an organization that has the highest need for privacy and security is going to start deploying it this year. If there were something intrinsically nefarious about 10, they'd NEVER do that. Not ever. No way.

Privacy is the least of W10's problems. It's the forced updates, where MS makes you their beta tester. And then the ads. That already started coming. IT will only get more aggressive and more targeted The data they collect on you while not personally identifies you, can make a heck of a platform for targeted ads. And to me targeted ads raise a privacy concern. Anyone who uses my computer will be able to see my interests and what I looked at, just by looking at the targeted ads I get. It is not happening yet thankfully. But I'm skeptic.

Privacy is the least of W10's problems. It's the forced updates, where MS makes you their beta tester. And then the ads. That already started coming. IT will only get more aggressive and more targeted The data they collect on you while not personally identifies you, can make a heck of a platform for targeted ads. And to me targeted ads raise a privacy concern. Anyone who uses my computer will be able to see my interests and what I looked at, just by looking at the targeted ads I get. It is not happening yet thankfully. But I'm skeptic.

We often hear of problems due to updates. But how often do we hear of problems that are directly attributed by out of date software? While I can understand giving some the flexibility to control updating, that's not really something average people should do. As for ads, all of that's optional. I personally have this stuff on and I'd love to know just where all of these ads are. Now and then I'll see suggestions for apps in the Windows Store.

Not saying the updating and ads are ideal or trouble free, but for the vast majority of end users they're not problematic.

We often hear of problems due to updates. But how often do we hear of problems that are directly attributed by out of date software? While I can understand giving some the flexibility to control updating, that's not really something average people should do. As for ads, all of that's optional. I personally have this stuff on and I'd love to know just where all of these ads are. Now and then I'll see suggestions for apps in the Windows Store.

Not saying the updating and ads are ideal or trouble free, but for the vast majority of end users they're not problematic.

And this is a very interesting question. What's worse.
If you're facing the internet directly, or otherwise opening up your OS and its services to a wide and unknown audience, or even provide some kind of service, like streaming or file serving, then I'd agree that updates are super critical. Just a few days ago a patch was released for OpenSSL. A patch relating to such a critical security feature should be installed no questions. One should backup their computer first if there are concerns.
But if you're behind a NAT, you're not providing any networked service and generally don't get viruses, like I do both at home and at work, quirky updates can be as annoying as malware itself.
Lose-lose?

Back