Just ordered my Dell UHD 24 Monitor UP2414Q

What's the text quality like? Specifically when the monitor is rotated to the portrait position.

What's the text quality like? Specifically when the monitor is rotated to the portrait position.

I'll try and see if I can test that tonight. Being Christmas eve and all I don't have a lot of time with Church services and the like. Will see what I can do.

Enjoy your Christmas clayton. Can wait for more details as you have time. How does the screen feel at 24" of 4K glory? Meaning does the display seem too small or it works fine?

Just got mine hooked up. My lord is it gorgeous. The PPI is simply stunning I was only able to spend 20 mins with it till we had to leave for the in laws for the night. Windows 7 dpi scaling isn't as terrible as I though it would be. Probably cause of how small the pixels actually are, 150% actually makes things normal.

As far as games are concerned, I pretty much only had time to run a couple quick benchies with zero time to tinker.

I run 780 ti's in sli.

Tomb Raider with max settings minus AA.
was 61 fps ave

Metro LL max settings minus AA with PhysX
was 51 fps

Crysis 3

The game was choppy on Ultra with no AA FPS seemed to be in the upper 40's however. dropping settings down to high resulted in a big fps jump to the 60's yet it still didn't seem smooth. Again I had no time to tinker, just wanted to check a couple games out.

Skyrim

I couldn't get the game to launch. I kept getting an error saying that resolution wasn't supported by device. Skyrim is a picky animal. Maybe I was overlooking a small detail.

My 30 minute eval left me dying to get home to spend more time with it.

The stand is very sturdy and is of excellent fit and finish. Has a very Apple feel to it. The pivot mechanism seems a little loose on mine and almost seems to not sit flat. I've had this problem before on a 2407 wfp. I should be able to rememdy it. Just wanted to make note

No DVI, at all. Meh, time to move on I guess.

I did a very quick dead pixel assessment which I can say with 90% confidence that there are none. I will have to look with closer (literally) later. I don't even know if I could actually see one if there were any. The pixels are that small.

Back light uniformity looked spot on, at least nothing glaringly obvious.

I hope to chime in tomorrow night with a few pics of the screen in action and a better "seat of the pants" opinion.

Can't wait to get mine. How are the blacks? That was one area rated low by hardware.UK.

I'm very pleased for you and looking forward to reading more. I'm particularly interested in the W7 results as that means I won't have to upgrade to W8, though I'd have to buy two...

Uh oh. Just showed up on my local dell site at ~$1,300. Note to self. 24" == too small, stay away.

Uh oh. Just showed up on my local dell site at ~$1,300. Note to self. 24" == too small, stay away.

I'd think you'd find a lot of the guys ordering the 24" monitor already have 30" displays and want to tone it down a bit.

I got 2 myself.

I'm curious to know if one can squeeze extra Hz out of it (either at native res or 1080p). Also how well does this scale 1080p input?

I'm curious to know if one can squeeze extra Hz out of it (either at native res or 1080p). Also how well does this scale 1080p input?

I'm curious about this as well. But i read somewhere that with the pixel's so small and no need for AA, that you wouldn't really be able to see much blur anyways.

Correct me if wrong. I can't remember where I read that or just misquoting somehow.

I'm sure by the end of the day we will get our answer.

Signed up for this thread.

I'd also like to hear how Win7 scaling works with it, and if the UI is readable and usable.

Also, would be good to hear if Photoshop scaling is as bad as it sounds from Adobe forums - apparently PS UI doesn't scale at all.

If you're using this monitor with MST @ 60Hz, are there any problems with accessing BIOS settings? Did you have any weird problems?

This monitor doesn't break the screen in half with my Titans in play. That's pretty sweet if you ask me.

If you're using this monitor with MST @ 60Hz, are there any problems with accessing BIOS settings? Did you have any weird problems?

I'm having a couple weird little problems that I'm still trying to work through. The monitor doesn't come out of sleep when I turn the computer on from an extended cold boot. I have to either pull the display port cable or power cycle it. Infrequently when it does come on the left half of the screen is slightly garbled but corrects itself with a power cycle/cable cycle/input cycle... Not sure if it either of these issues are monitor related or how my video card and or drivers are handling MST. It's always the left side of the screen.

Even if it is the monitor, I won't exchange it right away. I'd rather wait till newer revisions come out.

Just got it out of the box and hooked up. I also had to go into the menu to turn on displayport 1.2. Strange it came turned off.

I need to get a lot of tweaking done but so far set Chrome's min font size to 16pt and went with 14pt in my terminal and vim windows. I used to run at 10pt.

Screenshots of work and play:

http://uploads.mitechie.com/lp/jujugui-4k.png
http://uploads.mitechie.com/lp/browsing-4k.png

Well, I also had to yank the plugs, restart, and all that to get into 60hz land. Once I did that, nvidia-settings wants to setup the monitor as two distinct displays. So I've got a twinview setup of dual 1920x2160 displays. It's kind of crazy.

^ Cool. Awesome (pun fully intended.)

I knew firefox's UI scaled in Linux but I didn't know Chrome's did as well. I was having trouble with Chromium on my Ativ Book Plus (which also has a HiDPI display.)

Well, I also had to yank the plugs, restart, and all that to get into 60hz land. Once I did that, nvidia-settings wants to setup the monitor as two distinct displays. So I've got a twinview setup of dual 1920x2160 displays. It's kind of crazy.

You need to grab the latest Nvidia drivers.

Just got it out of the box and hooked up. I also had to go into the menu to turn on displayport 1.2. Strange it came turned off.

I need to get a lot of tweaking done but so far set Chrome's min font size to 16pt and went with 14pt in my terminal and vim windows. I used to run at 10pt.

Screenshots of work and play:

http://uploads.mitechie.com/lp/jujugui-4k.png
http://uploads.mitechie.com/lp/browsing-4k.png

Thanks for the Linux shots, looks great! I run Win7, but am upgrading to Linux Mint soon, and I've heard that Linux should do better job with scaling.

Have you tried how GIMP works, whether the icons scale or not? Photoshop doesn't scale, and the icons apparently become all but unreadable.

You'd have to move to PS CC to get any updates on PS, if and when it gets 4K support. And I won't move to the cloud. If GIMP works nicely, it would be yet another reason to move away from PS.

I know blizzard games don't push any hardware at all, but interestingly I can play WoW / SC2 / D3 on ultra settings with no AA on my second system in my sig (4770k / GTX 670 4GB) in the low 60's and high 50's. Not too bad if you ask me.

I can test those all when I get back home. I use Adobe Cloud for all of my photo / video editing needs.

^ Cool. Awesome (pun fully intended.)

I knew firefox's UI scaled in Linux but I didn't know Chrome's did as well. I was having trouble with Chromium on my Ativ Book Plus (which also has a HiDPI display.)

Chrome doesn't. I just went into the font settings and there's a "smallest possible font" that I set to 16. It borks a couple of sites for me like Newsblur, but seems to work for most things.

Chrome has a high-dpi beta-setting in the flags list but it's not compatible with linux right now.

Sleeping Dogs

1080p:
2013-12-24%2013.35.35%20HDR.jpg

2160p:
2013-12-24%2013.38.17%20HDR.jpg
Any idea why the 1080p doesn't fill the screen? Is there any fix to this?

I ask because I am very close to buying this monitor but my gtx780SLI won't be able to run certain graphic-premium games like Crysis and Metro on 4k at a respectable 4k so I'm planning to play them at 1440p on this monitor.

Any idea why the 1080p doesn't fill the screen? Is there any fix to this?

I ask because I am very close to buying this monitor but my gtx780SLI won't be able to run certain graphic-premium games like Crysis and Metro on 4k at a respectable 4k so I'm planning to play them at 1440p on this monitor.

The monitor should have a built-in scaler, so he was running that in 1:1 pixel mode to show how miniscule 1080p is on the 4k monitor he is using. There should be a mode to have it stretch to fit the entire screen, it will look ugly though.

The monitor should have a built-in scaler, so he was running that in 1:1 pixel mode to show how miniscule 1080p is on the 4k monitor he is using. There should be a mode to have it stretch to fit the entire screen, it will look ugly though.

According to that hothardware review, it doesnt have a built in scaler and they stated nvidia and amd wwoud have to do something about it driver side.

Can one you guys who own it verify this please?

Why wouldn't it just work as a 24" 2k monitor when you scale the resolution down to 2k?

I know blizzard games don't push any hardware at all, but interestingly I can play WoW / SC2 / D3 on ultra settings with no AA on my second system in my sig (4770k / GTX 670 4GB) in the low 60's and high 50's. Not too bad if you ask me.

My sister has been playing wow at 3840x2400 for a long time. During raiding and stuff the limitation has actually been the CPU as there has been very little difference on her eyefinity 6 card whether at 3840x2400 or 1920x1200 but she has seen a big performance boost going from a non OC'd first gen dual-core i5 ~3.2 Ghz to a quad core ivy bridge core i5 OC'd to 4.3 Ghz.

According to that hothardware review, it doesnt have a built in scaler and they stated nvidia and amd wwoud have to do something about it driver side.

I would assume it could probably atleast do pixel quadroupling to allow for perfect pixel expansion at 1920x1080 or 1280x720 but good luck getting ATI/nvidia to make scaling work via MST.

The only time I have *ever* gotten scaling to work over multiple display links (on IBM T221/vp2290b via multiple DVI connections to the monitor) was on linux where you can manually tell it what to do and how to scale.

In the Catalyst control panel you have the option to let the GPU scale, with the option of scaliing to fill up the screen. I'm not terribly sure if it will wo rk with that kind of display...but it;s worth a try.

You need to grab the latest Nvidia drivers.

Actually with linux twinview is exactly how it should be setup. He should also be using:

Option "NoTwinViewXineramaInfo" "1"

Which makes it show the OS thinks its only a single monitor or if using multiple monitors use:

Option "TwinViewXineramaInfoOverride" "XXXXXXXXX"

To set manual dimensions of the monitor seams if using multiple MST displays which AFAIK can't be done in windows right now due to the driver hacks it does to do the spanning in the first place.

Back