Just ordered my Dell UHD 24 Monitor UP2414Q

When you have been waiting for a decent display for as long as I have there is not much room for shifting perspectives....

So start a thread about this fictitious monitor you're waiting for. Start it off with your budget and all use cases for each feature.

Dell will have no issues finding buyers for this product. Oh, btw I'm pretty sure the hdmi spec is targeted for devices in the television market.

Man that sucks, why the fuck cant manufacturers pull their thumbs out and just deliver what the market wants....4K semi-gloss display@60hz with HDMI 2.0 and SST. Guess I will be stuck with my current shitty display for another 12 months.

The thing is: When is HDMI 2.0 supported hardware supposed to come out?

Seems a lot of posters here want that 4K @60Hz, but I've yet to see an official word when the first monitors will come with HDMI 2.0 support, even video cards supporting it as well. HDMI 2.0 spec was finalized and released last September 2013, but I have not read any news of upcoming monitors supporting it as of yet. Even the newest Radeon R9 290 series still ships with HDMI 1.4a, as well as the Geforce 780 Ti.

Yet, you want HDMI 2.0 when no video card supports 4K @60Hz yet?

Why not use DisplayPort [1.2] supported 4K monitors since it can already do 4K @60Hz instead of HDMI?

What is the problem with DisplayPort?

It has nothing to do with displayport itself, the reason MST is being used is because there are no reasonably priced timing controllers on the market that support 4k@60hz.

MST works fine though.

I thought the current version of display port can only handle 4K@60hz using MST rather than SST?
Yes, single cable for 4K resolution @60Hz using MST.

From Nvidia:
B) DisplayPort 1.2

DisplayPort can support 4K @ 60Hz using Multi-Stream Transport(MST). The graphics card provides signals for multiple displays but these are multiplexed on a single cable. Computer monitors such as the ASUS PQ321Q 31.5-in 4K 60 Hz Tiled Monitor take input using this format.
DisplayPort also has a higher bandwidth over HDMI 2.0 as of DP 1.2 version-- 21.6Gbit/s (DP) vs. 18Gbit/s (HDMI 2.0).

Monitors such as ASUS PQ321Q require only a single DP cable, thus many video cards with DisplayPort 1.2 capability can use it now versus waiting for an HDMI 2.0 monitor.

Currently you'd need two HDMI cables since video cards only have at the moment HDMI 1.4a in order to get 4K @60Hz. I have no idea if those ports will be upgradeable to 2.0 through a firmware/BIOS update for the video card. (I think unlikely.)

The only thing I don't see is support for 4:2:0 chroma at 4K/60Hz which HDMI 2.0 supports, and seeing a single 4K display on HDMI 2.0 (which I assume is correct of the spec). DP 1.3 will add 8K support but won't be available for a long while.

Seeing that only very few 4K UHD TV displays are HDMI 2.0 or are upgradeable to 2.0, and no current 4K computer monitor and video card available now are HDMI 2.0 either, the best option is going DisplayPort if you don't want to wait. The video cards available within the past year are already compatible with 4K @60Hz through a single DP cable, and, yes, using MST.

I have no idea when Nvidia or AMD will support HDMI 2.0, or if AIB partners will add it themselves. I went looking on various AIB websites like ASUS, MSI, and EVGA, they're all HDMI 1.4a, not 2.0. I see nothing mentioned on Google searches whether AMD or Nvidia will add HDMI 2.0 support, or if current cards are upgradeable to HDMI 2.0 like most UHD TV sets.

Oh wow my order for this monitor is now showing delivery in February!

Sounds like they didn't pass quality control and have to do another run...

Oh wow my order for this monitor is now showing delivery in February!

When did you order, Vega?
Dell Order Details page still says that mine will be delivered on Dec. 23rd (coming Monday). But I haven't received a shipping notification yet?!

When did you order, Vega?
Dell Order Details page still says that mine will be delivered on Dec. 23rd (coming Monday). But I haven't received a shipping notification yet?!

Last week. I kinda got screwed, the 10% coupon didn't work and I got hit with tax, so it came out to like $1400. Thinking maybe I should have just waited for Amazon to get them. ;) My order status says expected delivery date of Feb 4th. :eek: Not sure if I missed the cutoff for the first batch delivery or if the whole shabang is delayed due to issues.

Last week. I kinda got screwed, the 10% coupon didn't work and I got hit with tax, so it came out to like $1400. Thinking maybe I should have just waited for Amazon to get them. ;) My order status says expected delivery date of Feb 4th. :eek: Not sure if I missed the cutoff for the first batch delivery or if the whole shabang is delayed due to issues.

I would cancel and wait for the Dell 28" or LG's True 4K monitor.

I just got a Dell email that makes absolutely zero sense:

Estimated Delivery Date: 12/30/2013

Tracking Number: Waiting on the carrier’s information
Shipped On: 12/22/2013
Shipping Method: 2nd Business Day

Estimated Delivery Date
2/4/2014

Status
In Production

Well Merry Christmas to both of you!:D Hopefully you can get us some thoughts on it by Christmas Day.;)

Show lots of pictures!! I want to see how tiny the text screen is on that desktop, also how a 1080p movie looks, original size. :D

Nothing for me. Baby Jesus will be playing dota with my monitor...the entitled punk. I will be calling later today now.

I'm in the US and I ordered mine the earliest out of all here (at least I think so, December 7th). It's on the fedex truck now leaving Tennessee. I'll take some pictures and hopefully get a little time with it. Traveling to Charlotte NC the day of Christmas until the weekend. I'll be bringing my monitor with me but since I'll be using my mobile gaming computer I'll be limited to games like WoW and D3 and Dead Space 3 until I get back home with it.

called dell....cried for a while to them on the phone....told me a "delay", nothing else.

No more tears....only sleep.

Ordered on the 16th and got my shipping notice. UPS still says that a label's been created so no idea on the day it'll arrive. Here's to hoping my linux setup will handle it well.

Show lots of pictures!! I want to see how tiny the text screen is on that desktop, also how a 1080p movie looks, original size. :D

Windows crap dpi scaling and 1080p movies are not why I bought one. 4k gaming with sli 780 ti's is my monitors future, for everything else my U3011 has that covered.

Oops my bad.... anyway....
MINE HAS ARRIVED JUST NOW!!!!!!!

2013-12-24%2011.43.16%20HDR.jpg

Last edited:
Ah, Santa made it on time! Come on Clayton as Quartz says "plug it in":D We are awaiting your impressions however brief they may be.

Lol Twitch. I'm not good at live streaming. I've got small things to do and then I'll post some pics!

Not sure if I should start another thread... but I LOVE this monitor. Crappy windows 8 scaling and all. I "don't need no" AA anymore!

Unboxing:
2013-12-24%2013.07.34%20HDR.jpg

2013-12-24%2013.09.10%20HDR.jpg

2013-12-24%2013.09.15%20HDR.jpg

2013-12-24%2013.09.21%20HDR.jpg

A few weird things on setup:

1) You have to turn on DisplayPort 1.2 mode from the monitor's settings
MENU -> Display Settings -> DisplayPort 1.2 Enable

2) Before I did the above step, my nvidia drivers did 3840x1260 @ 30hz and I couldn't select otherwise. Once I set up my monitor's menu correctly, I had to unplug and plug back in my DP cable. Rebooting the computer, power cycling the monitor did not fix a weird half-resolution / mouse tracking issue.

3) The panel does come a bit bright from the factory, but I don't have my iDisplay Pro to put it through the paces.

4) Everything was packed VERY WELL!!!

Back