how to minimize eBay ship costs?

I also like putting small flat rate boxes into flat rate envelopes. Same service for a cheaper price.

I also like putting small flat rate boxes into flat rate envelopes. Same service for a cheaper price.
So here's another thing I forgot to mention about the flat rate envelopes.

USPS employees really don't like it when people use the thinner, paper ones to ship anything that isn't documents or something that isn't very thin. I wanted to use one to ship a CD and they refused the package.

Also, if you're using flat rate boxes in flat rate envelopes... you're actually paying MORE money that way. Small Flat Rate boxes cost $8.55 to ship. Padded Envelopes cost $8.80. :)

And as an eBay buyer: Nothing ticks me off more than seeing a really cheap item with an absurd shipping cost.
I agree it's super annoying, but basically it's those eBay businesses strategy that if you ask for a refund you won't get back the "shipping price". I generally speaking avoid them, but I also have to be honest, the amount of stuff I buy from eBay these days is maybe 1-2 things a year at this point. Too many headaches in general whether a buyer or a seller. I'd much rather deal on FB marketplace, CL, and OfferUp - basically any variety of "non-shipping", direct transaction sites.

First off, Ebay subsidizes shipping costs for regular sellers. I get something like half off my shipping costs depending on which service used. Usually I make a profit off my shipping fees.

Second off, it's very easy to get the impression that Ebay always sides with the buyer, but that's not necessarily true. Ebay makes it really easy for buyer's dispute any transaction for any reason whatsoever because Ebay wants to make people feel "safe" shopping at Ebay. Having said that, it's possible to protect yourself as the seller, and it's important to document what you're selling before you ship it (pictures help).

Quick story. I had an extra Macbook that was recycled at my work because it wasn't working. I was able to fix the Macbook so that it was bootable, but it ran slow. Probably at 25% of the speed it should've been running at. I made it very clear in the listing that it was working, but would need further repair to work at the speed it's supposed to. Of course, a user on Ebay thought they were getting a good deal on a normal Macbook and didn't read my listing, and attempted to return the device, but it seems they tried to fix it themselves, were unable to, and bricked the laptop in the process. After a dispute process lasting a few weeks, I was able to keep the money and the laptop, which I re-listed under "for parts/not working", and made even more off of it.

As a tip, it's actually a good idea to charge a shipping fee, because in situations where disputes are involved, you can get refunded the shipping fee (unless it was proved you misled the buyer). If you don't charge a shipping fee and someone decides to return (which can happen even if you have no returns accepted), then you're forced to eat the shipping charge. With that in mind, there's actually no good reason to opt to give customers free shipping. Just take the extra time to measure and estimate the weight of your package.

Last edited:
So here's another thing I forgot to mention about the flat rate envelopes.

USPS employees really don't like it when people use the thinner, paper ones to ship anything that isn't documents or something that isn't very thin. I wanted to use one to ship a CD and they refused the package.

Also, if you're using flat rate boxes in flat rate envelopes... you're actually paying MORE money that way. Small Flat Rate boxes cost $8.55 to ship. Padded Envelopes cost $8.80. :)

This is a YMMV situation, I've never had a PO refuse a small flat rate box inside (8.55) a flat rate envelope (8.05). I have seen other reports on the internet about this too and it's argued back and forth, so I will just say it's a personal results thing. There also used to be a longer non-flat rate box that fit inside the Legal flat rate envelope that I used quite a bit, as the small box is not very big (shocking).

The only issue I have had with shipping recently is I used compostable poly mailers (free from sendle) that after sitting for a while I guess started to break down. I had two packages (box in mailer) get lost in transit and my best guess is the poly mailer ripped off. So, be careful with your materials and make sure they're sturdy.

This is a YMMV situation, I've never had a PO refuse a small flat rate box inside (8.55) a flat rate envelope (8.05). I have seen other reports on the internet about this too and it's argued back and forth, so I will just say it's a personal results thing. There also used to be a longer non-flat rate box that fit inside the Legal flat rate envelope that I used quite a bit, as the small box is not very big (shocking).

The only issue I have had with shipping recently is I used compostable poly mailers (free from sendle) that after sitting for a while I guess started to break down. I had two packages (box in mailer) get lost in transit and my best guess is the poly mailer ripped off. So, be careful with your materials and make sure they're sturdy.
Sticking the address on the box inside can help prevent that.

I agree on the YMMV thing. My local post office refused to let me send anything Media Mail for a decade, no matter how much I argued for it. They once stopped me from sending a comic book TPB that was fully eligible based on their "no ads" requirements. Once the postmaster was moved to another location? Media Mail was fine. And on a related note, my local clerks did tell me to not try to ship a ball or something in the paper flat rate envelopes, haha. :p

I avoid compostable poly mailers, I live in a very hot area and those break down very quickly here.
First off, Ebay subsidizes shipping costs for regular sellers. I get something like half off my shipping costs depending on which service used. Usually I make a profit off my shipping fees.

I'm not sure this is the case? eBay shipping costs are exactly the same as Pirate Ship and PayPal's, they're just using the commercial rate given to third party vendors.

I feel like this varies from ebayer to ebayer. I used ebay shipping for a long while. Switched to PirateShip as the discount was better than ebay. I need to compare shipments back to back again.

If you have issues with buyers, I have had good luck with buying firstnamelastname.com and posting *facts* about the incident. I send them a notification of my intent to publish it and usually they back down. It's a minor cost for me since I have the resources.

why is facts in quotes? What kind of facts are you using and what resources to get them?

why is facts in quotes? What kind of facts are you using and what resources to get them?
For legal reasons you have to report facts on that site or you are now opening yourself up for a lawsuit based on the site you just created.

Reactions: Liver
like this
It's in asterisks, not quotes. He is emphasizing the word.

I should have got my readers on. My mistake.

For legal reasons you have to report facts on that site or you are now opening yourself up for a lawsuit based on the site you just created.

These matters are beyond what I know.

However, I was going to sell some extra electronic equipment on eBay. You guys have basically talked me out it. I'd rather keep the $2000 equipment instead of inheriting a hassle.

I should have got my readers on. My mistake.

These matters are beyond what I know.

However, I was going to sell some extra electronic equipment on eBay. You guys have basically talked me out it. I'd rather keep the $2000 equipment instead of inheriting a hassle.
I understand.

But 99% of all people are good - just remember that and you should be good. Document and reduce risk.

like this
I'm not sure this is the case? eBay shipping costs are exactly the same as Pirate Ship and PayPal's, they're just using the commercial rate given to third party vendors.
You might be right about that. I just know that my labels purchased through Ebay are significantly cheaper than if they were purchased through my personal accounts. I'm going to have to look into this Pirate Ship business.

EDIT: Also, creating a website with the domain of a person you plan to smear is a really bad idea, might be the worst one I've read on this site lol

You might be right about that. I just know that my labels purchased through Ebay are significantly cheaper than if they were purchased through my personal accounts. I'm going to have to look into this Pirate Ship business.

EDIT: Also, creating a website with the domain of a person you plan to smear is a really bad idea, might be the worst one I've read on this site lol
It’s worked multiple times. Most scammers don’t like to be outed. There’s no smear. Just facts.

Even got a night club to rebrand and eventually shut down.

It’s old school!

like this
Check PirateBay.com for shipping. Easy and a real money saver. You sound like a good seller and my best advice is to stay away from Ebay. Too many ripoffs, even the thieving customer is always right. Send them a video card, they return a newspaper, you pay.

Wrong URL. LOL Pirateship.com

I am about to use Pirate Ship for the first time tonight. Any advice? It’s a larger, heavier package. Should I add a small amount in the dimensions? Should I add a small about of weight? The package is over 25 pounds and I’m weighting it on a home scale (the incredibly accurate method of weighting myself with the package and then without).

Is it as easy as that? I already priced it out. $88 in store and $58 via the Pirate Ship. Then take it to the UPS Store.

Just never use it before. Thanks.

I am about to use Pirate Ship for the first time tonight. Any advice? It’s a larger, heavier package. Should I add a small amount in the dimensions? Should I add a small about of weight? The package is over 25 pounds and I’m weighting it on a home scale (the incredibly accurate method of weighting myself with the package and then without).

Is it as easy as that? I already priced it out. $88 in store and $58 via the Pirate Ship. Then take it to the UPS Store.

Just measure and weigh. It is as easy at it gets. No need to over estimate, though I will usually round up to the nearest 1/4 inch instead of being super precise.

I usually report a little larger and heavier as long as the price doesn't jump. Dimensions should be fine as long as it's close. They jump to the next pound rate if it's any amount over, ie. 25lbs 1oz is 26lbs, and you may as well set that (USPS does anyway, can't remember if UPS/others do too).

like this
I usually report a little larger and heavier as long as the price doesn't jump. Dimensions should be fine as long as it's close. They jump to the next pound rate if it's any amount over, ie. 25lbs 1oz is 26lbs, and you may as well set that (USPS does anyway, can't remember if UPS/others do too).
Great advice. I work in xIoT security for a lot of these logistics companies and they have 3D scanners / positioners that size and weigh boxes at scale - so I've been nailed before for being off a half inch. I always over report versus getting the $3.78 bill 3 weeks later. :)

It's not the 90s or 00s where you can get away with some fudge.

Great advice. I work in xIoT security for a lot of these logistics companies and they have 3D scanners / positioners that size and weigh boxes at scale - so I've been nailed before for being off a half inch. I always over report versus getting the $3.78 bill 3 weeks later. :)

It's not the 90s or 00s where you can get away with some fudge.

Honestly if they send me a bill after, Im ok with that. Clearly I want to avoid it, but its still preferable to the alternative.

Round up your weight. If its 7.10lbs.. Put 8lbs. If dimension is 14.1 inches, use 15 inches. This will help you avoid getting additional fees that likely the end customer will pay for.

A small rounding won't hurt. I usually round up the weight the nearest lb. and round up the dimensions to the nearest half inch. Pirateship has always been good to me.

like this
So I printed out some shipping labels. Dropped off the packages at the UPS store. I don’t know what I expected. Maybe for them to look at the labels and say, "you fool, hah hah hah!"

Instead, he scanned the label and just asked if I wanted a receipt. No fuss at all. Thanks for the recommendation on Pirate Ship.

pirate ship or shipstation. Former can be signed up for, latter is included with paypal.

That said, unless you can ship media mail, you won't see shipping costs less than $5

Are people really that dumb? eBay makes it so easy to sort by total price including shipping.
I know someone that argues with me about how they are always looking for free shipping. I remind them that shipping isn't actually free and is included in the cost, and you are better off sorting price + shipping lowest to highest, yet the complaints continue about how expensive shipping is on items, even if it's overall cheaper than an item with "free" shipping.

So, yes.

Shipping should be the least of your concerns. The 12% fee and scum buyers are you real problem. Been on eBay 25 years but haven’t sold anything in over 3. Done and done as far as selling.

Shipping should be the least of your concerns. The 12% fee and scum buyers are you real problem. Been on eBay 25 years but haven’t sold anything in over 3. Done and done as far as selling.
I have old photo items and some old and some new PC items to sell. I will use a photo forum and this forum. I'm am aware of both of the eBay problems. And of course, the very, very, very last thing in the world I would ever do is sell a car on eBay Motors.

I have old photo items and some old and some new PC items to sell. I will use a photo forum and this forum. I'm am aware of both of the eBay problems. And of course, the very, very, very last thing in the world I would ever do is sell a car on eBay Motors.
I would honestly sell something here to a board bro for $100 less than I could sell for on eBay. It’s honestly not worth it any more IMO.

I would honestly sell something here to a board bro for $100 less than I could sell for on eBay. It’s honestly not worth it any more IMO.
+1 We are in "violent agreement" here. The things I need to sell, I don't want to make a career out of "ebay seller." I want the process to go quickly and easily. My time and "nerves" aren't worth the eBay hassles.

That's what I did with my 3090. It did take a little bit to sell, but it worked nice. I bought it from a dude on here, figured I should sell it here too.

Most of my old hardware I usually end up selling to friends on the cheap. No, I don't make as much, but it is real convenient when there's no shipping.

like this
Thought I’d ask here.

I am selling a remote control unit and an interested buyer is located in the UK. As a seller, what’s the best payment and shipping method? This is not on eBay, but on another forum. Is Pirate Ship still an option for international? Thanks.

I just had my first dishonest scumbag on ebay. They submitted a return request because my product was "faulty". Once I received it back, they had actually butchered it and effectively destroyed it. Before I refunded their money, I uploaded pictures with a response but it was just for show... there was a notice that it was basically just for records keeping and that nobody would be reviewing my response.

Ship outside of generating labels on ebay. You can use something like pirateship.com and get highly reduced USPS rates. I use easyship.com for my business but it has a monthly fee.
Yea, I take pictures like crazy. I sold a CPU and made sure to take pictures. I had a guy try to return one and I ask for images of the CPU. That I wanted to compare the SKUs and Manufacturing numbers. I also wanted to see if he de-lidded it.

Dude, said, "Sorry it works."

Thought I’d ask here.

I am selling a remote control unit and an interested buyer is located in the UK. As a seller, what’s the best payment and shipping method? This is not on eBay, but on another forum. Is Pirate Ship still an option for international? Thanks.
Depends on the weight. If it's relatively lightweight, pirateships "simple export rate" can't be beat, although you need to chat to have it activated on your account. https://www.pirateship.com/simple-export-rate

Offerup is my favorite way to sell anything. Local and no fees. Keep all the money to yourself. Get rid of anything.

Back