Hogwarts Legacy

If this is a UE4 game it’s no surprise raytracing runs like shit. Every UE4 game with raytracing runs like shit. The engine supports it, but I’m confident it’s just way too much for this ancient game engine to handle at this point.
UE5 games are the same or worse,both are crap coded. Sweeney ain't all that..

Welp, I think I finished exploring and doing about everything I could do on my second day, I think:

1693096248346.png
1693096282777.png

1693096394062.png
1693096434089.png

Also took down a Battle Arena on first try, was surprisingly hard, though. Last wave had me feeling a bit overwhelmed with my limited offensive options.

1693096936536.png

My head canon is my dude just went out in the morning and then came back to school looking like this:

1693096470703.jpeg

"How was your second day at scho---WTFHAPPENEDTOYOU"

The graphics were really pretty everywhere I went, overall, even with the settings turned down a notch for this 3080 Ti. I guess I finally have to do the main quest though. I murderhobo'd as hard as I could. I guess I brought it on myself but I'm kind of worried that the main quest is going to be a lot more boring than me just exploring.

Welp, I think I finished exploring and doing about everything I could do on my second day, I think:

View attachment 593864View attachment 593865
View attachment 593866View attachment 593867

Also took down a Battle Arena on first try, was surprisingly hard, though. Last wave had me feeling a bit overwhelmed with my limited offensive options.

View attachment 593870

My head canon is my dude just went out in the morning and then came back to school looking like this:

View attachment 593868

"How was your second day at scho---WTFHAPPENEDTOYOU"

The graphics were really pretty everywhere I went, overall, even with the settings turned down a notch for this 3080 Ti. I guess I finally have to do the main quest though. I murderhobo'd as hard as I could. I guess I brought it on myself but I'm kind of worried that the main quest is going to be a lot more boring than me just exploring.
You'll unlock things that you can't get with straight leveling/exploring. You'll be fine. It's a good story.

Just finished upgrading from my 5950X and DDR4 3200 (dunno the timings) to a 7800X3D and DDR5 6000 at CL30, as I noted in another topic. The difference in this game is just insane. It sort of feels like I bought a new GPU. I still have some areas that are 45 FPS and a bit laggy, but it's like all of the normal stutter that I would feel is gone. The game runs smooth as butter even at lower FPS, and at high FPS it really is butter. Was a great upgrade. With how cheap I got this amazing motherboard, I'm pretty much set for a very long time, too.

Picked it up on sale at Greenmangaming for $35. Any recommendations for mods to use for a first play through?

Picked it up on sale at Greenmangaming for $35. Any recommendations for mods to use for a first play through?
Unless you're actually using Razer Chroma, I think this gave me a decent smoothness boost even on my old setup:
https://www.nexusmods.com/hogwartslegacy/mods/120?tab=files
It just disables some Razer Chroma DLL file that is taking a lot of cycles even if you aren't using Razer Chroma. According to the creator, it was an issue in Doom as well. Other than that, I'm playing vanilla. But to be fair, I haven't actually done much of the game yet... story wise... or feature wise... because I'm just a murder hobo.

Looks like a PS3 game. I guess that's expected for the Switch maybe, haven't really kept up with it.
All those extra load screens are painful though.
exactly what i was thinking, both. my niece was waiting for it, didnt want to play the ps5 version, had to have it on switch. the loading might change her mind...

The PC version looks full-on stunning with all the details cranked and RT. It's a sight to behold when you're first starting to explore Hogwarts. The thing is, once I started seriously playing the game I totally stopped noticing the graphical details entirely. I think it's just the nature of the game. You just kinda stop paying attention. It could have looked like a PS2 game and I probably wouldn't have cared. Plus, the idea of doing quests and mini-missions in short bursts should work well with how a lot of folks play on the Switch.

Reactions: Q-BZ
like this
TBH All the kids playing this on Switch won't give a shit.

Exactly. You won't get it much better looking on a mobile platform unless you have a $600 Steam Deck. That will likely look and performance a whole lot better than Switch, but even then it won't run as fast as a proper gaming PC. But if you're into mobile gaming consoles you need the mobility and that is the compromise you get.

Exactly. You won't get it much better looking on a mobile platform unless you have a $600 Steam Deck. That will likely look and performance a whole lot better than Switch, but even then it won't run as fast as a proper gaming PC. But if you're into mobile gaming consoles you need the mobility and that is the compromise you get.

Well that's not quite true. You can just stream it from said proper gaming PC to begin with, to either the Steam deck or even just your phone with, say, a 360 controller connected. I think most data plans wouldn't really bat an eye over that. Pretty easy to get going tbh. But as a handheld pure-console, yeah totally agreed.

TBH All the kids playing this on Switch won't give a shit.

The kids won't, yeah, agreed. I'm actually kind of curious as to what the Harry Potter fan demographics are like at this point. I grew up with the series, contemporary kids grew up with... some of the movies? I guess? Hmm...

The PC version looks full-on stunning with all the details cranked and RT. It's a sight to behold when you're first starting to explore Hogwarts. The thing is, once I started seriously playing the game I totally stopped noticing the graphical details entirely. I think it's just the nature of the game. You just kinda stop paying attention. It could have looked like a PS2 game and I probably wouldn't have cared. Plus, the idea of doing quests and mini-missions in short bursts should work well with how a lot of folks play on the Switch.

Actually have to kind of disagree here. I'd say this game was one of the big triggers that got me to grab my 4090, and every time I fire it up, I still occasionally notice things that I just think look pretty stunning tbh. With DLAA and all details cranked (at 3440x1440 anyway), it's a pretty impressive title. Although I'm still kind of miffed that it only used 2 CPU threads so I had to upgrade my CPU...

Last edited:
It's strangely the most successful port of the game on console! Really a big surprise even if obviously in terms of graphics the PS5 is well above.

Last edited:
I think I'm going to get back to this game for a bit.. Got super sidetracked with cyberpunk.. Need to work on the main storyline so i can see thee seasons change.

Impressive. I enjoyed it for what it was, and it did seem to be popular at release but then most of the talk died down. I knew it was doing good but did not expect it to be the best selling game of the year. Beating Zelda is impressive.

In any case, I am glad the "boycotts" failed.

Reactions: Q-BZ
like this
the "boycott" was the only reason i bought it and it turned out to be a pretty good game.
Also hilarious because the game, if anything, goes a bit hard on the diversity and inclusion. The appearance, voice, and gender selection in the character creation are totally unlocked and you can make your character any combo you want. In game you find characters that are openly gay and trans, blind, from foreign countries, etc, and of course Brits of every description. Realistically more diverse than you would see in 1800s rural UK, more like modern day London. Heck, if anyone were going to complain it should be the Scots since it is supposedly in the Scottish Highlands and there are a distinct lack of Scottish characters given that fact :D.

So you would think it would get praised for its diversity and inclusion and if anyone was going to make an outrage burger over it, it would be the right wing "anti-woke" types. However, because of its loose association with JK Rowling, a bunch of derps that didn't bother to learn anything about it and screamed to boycott it, which only increased its profile.

While I can find minor things to criticize, mostly the RT issues and a bit of the pacing, it is a great game and deserving of all the sales it got. It is just flat out fun, which is really the point.

Also hilarious because the game, if anything, goes a bit hard on the diversity and inclusion. The appearance, voice, and gender selection in the character creation are totally unlocked and you can make your character any combo you want. In game you find characters that are openly gay and trans, blind, from foreign countries, etc, and of course Brits of every description. Realistically more diverse than you would see in 1800s rural UK, more like modern day London. Heck, if anyone were going to complain it should be the Scots since it is supposedly in the Scottish Highlands and there are a distinct lack of Scottish characters given that fact :D.

So you would think it would get praised for its diversity and inclusion and if anyone was going to make an outrage burger over it, it would be the right wing "anti-woke" types. However, because of its loose association with JK Rowling, a bunch of derps that didn't bother to learn anything about it and screamed to boycott it, which only increased its profile.

While I can find minor things to criticize, mostly the RT issues and a bit of the pacing, it is a great game and deserving of all the sales it got. It is just flat out fun, which is really the point.
yup yup and yup. imo, its diversity done right, its just there, just a part of the background, "normal", not jammed down our throats.

yup yup and yup. imo, its diversity done right, its just there, just a part of the background, "normal", not jammed down our throats.
Ya the only reason it is at all noticeable is because of all the bitching people did with the boycott as though this game was some horrible, hateful, thing.

When you actually play it, it is just... there. The characters just are who they are. There is no fuss made of it.

Ya the only reason it is at all noticeable is because of all the bitching people did with the boycott as though this game was some horrible, hateful, thing.

When you actually play it, it is just... there. The characters just are who they are. There is no fuss made of it.

The core boycott is because the game's existence ultimately benefits JK Rowling. Its not about the content of the game itself.

The core boycott is because the game's existence ultimately benefits JK Rowling. Its not about the content of the game itself.
Which is extremely short-sighted. Whatever she makes from the game, it isn't going to be something she even notices. She's worth at least a billion dollars. Never mind the books and movies, the WB tour of the sets in the UK is booked out every single day, tons of merch gets sold, etc. She would need to talk to her accountant to even notice the difference between a success and failure of the game.

However, the developers, writers, voice actors, artists, etc? Ya they'd notice. It would hurt their bottom line, and it would hurt them creatively if this world that they poured love in to and made an inclusive one went into the garbage bin because people didn't like what a billionaire wrote on Twitter.

Seems to me like it would be better to evaluate the work on its own merits and realize that it is good and heck, maybe not even something she'd approve of.

Does anyone know of any good mods/where to get them for this game?
I've read that in the last couple of years NexusMods has been preventing mods from being listed or taking them down.

Does anyone know of any good mods/where to get them for this game?
I've read that in the last couple of years NexusMods has been preventing mods from being listed or taking them down.
Based Mods hosts mods that were banned on mainstream sites. There are other forums that do the same.

For this game it was a mod that made the trans character (Sirona Ryan) female and altered the voice to sound feminine.
Heard her voice for the first time and swore I would go and find it... And once again got lazy. Then my 8yr old daughter heard her voice and asked why she sounded like a man. Which she then found funny. So I let it be. It felt out of place, but given some her quests, you can read what you want between the lines for her that characters history. I guess at the end of the day, it just didn't matter, which I am sure was someone's point.

Congrats to the developers, this is one of probably less than a half dozen games to hold may attention for a 100hr playthrough.

Back