Help me plan and buy my next W11 build ($750 ish)

Morlock

Limp Gawd
My current build is described here:
https://hardforum.com/threads/upgrade-vs-new-system.2032544/#post-1045838677

For once I might actually be making a new build without some catastrophic failure of my current build driving me. I suppose I want a gaming build, even though I don't game much - but I am interested in game development (if I had to narrow it down, I'd say I'm interested in Unreal Engine and modding Inzoi - in other words, content creation & development for pretty graphics).

Which is to say, I can take my time and pick each part one by one, when I find good deals.

I will be needing (completely temporary choices in parenthesis - school me where you have a better selection)[my needs in brackets]:

Case
PSU
SSD [I want to push the size of this as big as I can while keeping a reasonable price:size ratio. I like performance, too, but any SSD will be a big improvement over the HDDs I currently rely on]
MB
CPU
RAM [I'm open to suggestions on how I get the most bang for my buck - 32gb? 64?]
GPU (Nvidia RTX 4060)

Note: I have a lot of external USB HDDs. Like 10. On one hand I'd like my build to accommodate them, but on the other, I plan to keep my existing 2 builds running, and they're handling the lot just fine. In other words, I'd like something that could accommodate as many of these drives as possible, but it's not a deal-breaker if I can only attach 7, or 5, or whatever. Edit: I'd also appreciate input on what I can do to make handling of so many USB devices as smooth as possible - is it a question of motherboard only, or what?

I found this link for cases, which at first blush looks good to me:
https://zalmanusa.com/collections/certified-refurbished-cases

My most frequent tasks:
Web browsing with lots of tabs open
Handbrake to bust down my huge video collection to a more manageable size
Topaz Video AI to upres old videos
Qbittorrent
Gaming
Game Development (Unreal, Unity, Maya, Blender, Reallusion, etc.)
Playing H265 videos

Also curious about how I can be alerted to deals - I understand that deals can be very time-sensitive, and for once I'm in a position to be patient and wait for deals on individual parts to come in one by one. So I'd appreciate advice on how to best do this.

Thanks for reading.

Last edited:
To get notified of deals, I like Slickdeals. Set alerts for all the different parts you're looking for (e.g. "motherboard", "power supply", "video card", etc...). Also checking the Newegg sale ads occasionally leads to good finds. If you happen to live near a MicroCenter, they do absolutely amazing bundles of mobo + cpu + ram so it's typically worth getting those parts there if at all possible.

$750 is a tight budget for the tasks you're wanting to do and honestly I would try to stretch it further. If you go with a 4060 (pretty terrible value card IMHO) that immediately takes the rest of your budget down to ~$450 for everything else. That's rough for the workloads you want to run, specifically the Game Development stuff. PCPartPicker has pre-made Guides from the community, which typically include many parametric filters to get the best prices at any given time. And for $750 it lands you at something like this: https://pcpartpicker.com/guide/VV9TwP/modest-intel-gaming-build

Back