[H] Diablo 3 One-Month Survey

Skizzy

Supreme [H]ardness
Hey guys, in a few hours Diablo 3 will have been out for a month. Interested to see in what you guys think about the game. There are 18 questions, so it's a pretty quick survey.

Please only take this if you've played the game, even if you played just for a little bit, or even if you stopped playing altogether. There are questions in here just for you.

I'll release the results either when the responses start slowing down significantly, or in a day or two. Let me know if I made any errors or any obvious questions that should have been asked.

EDIT: Results are in... 191 responses, great turnout! There are some slight discrepancies as not all of the "no longer play" options have the same number. I feel this was okay on the "What do you do the most when Diablo 3" question, as some people took it to be what they mostly did while they were still playing. Not a big deal.

Spreadsheets including in case anyone wanted to do some other statistics like "the highest class that quit playing", etc. I am not advanced enough in Excel to do things like this. :p
Google docs spreadsheet: Clicky.
Excel spreadsheet: Clicky.

QWzs8.png

Last edited:
done.

I just got to Hell difficulty and the game does not have the same appeal & lure that D2 did.
Largely, I believe this is because the drop rates have been reduced so much that I never find anything useful for my characters and I must rely on the AH to progress. I hate the fact that gear is meaningless because I didn't find it. It's not exciting to identify items. It's not exciting shopping the AH for low-priced items. This gold grind sucks.

Also, I feel no attachment to my characters because the skill points mean nothing and there is no character development. It's all just level up & grind to buy in the AH.

I had my brother buy the hardcopy for me tax-free so I don't want to pester him to get a refund. Overall I am extremely disappointed.
Screw blizzard and their online only lag rubber-banding. I'm not buying another blizzard game.

as far as I'm concerned Warcraft 3 was their last decent game.

Yours truely,
Former D2 Level 99 sorc USwest #1 for 6 months during 1.10
No trades, found all my gear.

Submitted. Maybe I'll start playing again once the 1.0.3 patch is released.

I started, and then I stopped because I felt it was pointless for me. I only have the Starter Edition so I felt most of the questions would be ruined by my submission.

Make the options for those of us that didn't buy the game be better so you can get a better understanding of the info as to WHY we didn't

since the last patch i cant play at all because i get huge lag when i fight mobs. even on single player. its so freaking stupid. I still cannot get over them requiring a connection to play by myself...

Submitted mine, good survey. I quit about a week ago, there was just nothing to keep me interested. JMacker echod my sentiments exactly in his post above. Just a boring grindfest with no reward.

Completed. Got to Dia(bro) first week, in inferno, stuck there. Close... but stuck :(

I am a wiztard and chose not to abuse game mechanics! :D

Also, this is not your first poll, and while I believe in curiosity; this appears to extend beyond it. What, if I may ask, is this information being used for?

I got a refund from Amazon a few weeks ago. The game itself was OK, but the server lag was unplayable unless I tried to play at like 7am on Saturday or Sunday morning. No it's NOT my ISP, there were thousands of posts with similar results on their official forums.

Yawn, Diablo 3 was cool during the first playthrough on and off with some friends. Once I beat normal I stopped playing all together. Looking forward to TL2.

Also, this is not your first poll, and while I believe in curiosity; this appears to extend beyond it. What, if I may ask, is this information being used for?

This is my first Diablo 3-related poll. The information is used for nothing other than to compile and share with you guys. I thought it would be interesting to see the results. :)

I filled it out honestly, felt it was worth my $60. But there's free games (LoL) that I believe are worth 2x as much.

Diablo 3 just doesn't have the repeatability as Diablo 2. I'm sure I'll play 3-6 months, and maybe here and there after that but diablo 2 was the only game I played when I played it. Now I'm back to playing league of legends here and there as well.

Biggest problems in my eyes AH not included.

1) Drops suck, on my DH I got Barb gear, on my barb I get wizard gear. I get that it's random and that's acceptable but the items just suck
2) No runewords
3) No skill trees - my DH doesn't feel any different then any other DH in the game. Where as my bowazon in D2 felt different then every javezon running around.
4) Melee is too rough. I only see barbs with shields from hell mode on. DW & 2H should be viable for them
5) Inferno act 2 and beyond is too tough.
6) Maps aren't really random, infact I'd say 90% of maps are the same, only random things are the mobs.

Overall just not as good as diablo 2

done. I am not happy with this game at all, but I have a compulsion to keep playing 1) I feel i haven't gotten my 60 dollars worth 2) nothing better to play at the moment 3) I still have a small small tiny glimmer of hope that blizzard will make things better

Completed the survey. I felt it was worth the money. In video games, on top of gameplay I like to enjoy the visual splendor and subtle details that most people don't care for or simply overlook. Not many games have that amount of attention to detail. You'll almost never find a plain gradient in the UI graphics. Even the frame of buttons aren't simple rectangles and have imperfect markings on them.

Completed the survey. I felt it was worth the money. In video games, on top of gameplay I like to enjoy the visual splendor and subtle details that most people don't care for or simply overlook. Not many games have that amount of attention to detail. You'll almost never find a plain gradient in the UI graphics. Even the frame of buttons aren't simple rectangles and have imperfect markings on them.

+1. Art direction here is top-notch, in my opinion.

I got the annual pass so I didn't pay for it outright but if I could do it over again I would most likley not have signed up. Survey answered and meh to D3.

Finished it on normal, story does not change for any other class - no class specific quests or main dialogues, game uninstalled.

Luckily I got it for "free". I still play WoW and intend to do so for another few months, so annual pass was great thing. If I'd pay $60 I'd be angry.

I'm still playing, and I'm thoroughly enjoying it. There are some things that really piss me off about it, but it's fun. I play hardcore, and I spend most of my time farming and hoarding gold.

I enjoy the randomness of drops. I love getting those perfect items. I haven't really bought much gear since I got to inferno. Most of my upgrades have been pieces I found.

Although I play a Wizard exclusively, I'll probably eventually do one of each class. I enjoy being able to change skills whenever I want. I was apprehensive about it before getting the game, but it's definitely the right way to go.

I think most people's issues with this game would be eliminated if they played hardcore mode. Classes are balanced well. Stats are balanced well. I haven't played SC since level 23 in Diablo 2 classic. It just doesn't compare.

I encourage everyone to join the HC community.

I think most people's issues with this game would be eliminated if they played hardcore mode. ...
I encourage everyone to join the HC community.

Um... blizzard's servers suck. Rubber-banding in HC? Hell NO!

Um... blizzard's servers suck. Rubber-banding in HC? Hell NO!

The server issues are the last thing I'd be worried about when playing HC. 99 times out of 100 I'll do something careless and die. :eek: Come to think of it most people use that as an excuse when they refuse to HC. Come on, admit that you're a pansy. :p

I filled it out honestly, felt it was worth my $60. But there's free games (LoL) that I believe are worth 2x as much.

Diablo 3 just doesn't have the repeatability as Diablo 2. I'm sure I'll play 3-6 months, and maybe here and there after that but diablo 2 was the only game I played when I played it. Now I'm back to playing league of legends here and there as well.

Biggest problems in my eyes AH not included.

1) Drops suck, on my DH I got Barb gear, on my barb I get wizard gear. I get that it's random and that's acceptable but the items just suck
2) No runewords
3) No skill trees - my DH doesn't feel any different then any other DH in the game. Where as my bowazon in D2 felt different then every javezon running around.
4) Melee is too rough. I only see barbs with shields from hell mode on. DW & 2H should be viable for them
5) Inferno act 2 and beyond is too tough.
6) Maps aren't really random, infact I'd say 90% of maps are the same, only random things are the mobs.

Overall just not as good as diablo 2

Totally agree with you. I've actually started playing D2 again after I beat D3. I like the overall game much better, but the fighting in D3 is much better IMO.

I actually liked the new take on a skill system. Their idea behind that wasn't bad, necessarily, but they definitely should have added a talent or skillpoint system on top of it so that you felt your character was unique.

That's my biggest gripe.

Did the survey, though I put still playing, I am not playing that much. I got my money's worth, but not sure it was really worth $60. $40 feels more like what it should have cost.

good survey dude; I really felt like the questions and the choices for answers were well done.

:) interested to see the results

Completed.

Pretty much agree with the majority here. The only vast improvement was in how your own character dishes stuff out. Most of the other stuff is worse than D2, and some barely breaks even. If D2 had a skill bar it would make D3 a total failure instead of just a massive one.

I didn't take the survey because it doesn't really fit how I play. Do I still play it? Sure. But now it's like 20-45 mins at a pop just killing time. I'm in Inferno Act 1 with DH and don't expect I'll finish Act I.

I played D2 and Starcraft for... dunno... over 5 years each easily. All I can say is D3 in no way shape or form measures to these standards. However, if you measure it against your avg. decent $60 game, then it was okay.

Blizzard has spoiled us in the past. Now they're just like any other normal release. IMO folks (including me) are having a hard time adjusting to Blizzard of old being gone.

Blizzard = Activition now, through and through.

Their next MMO will not be a true successor to WoW, and instead will be another money grab with another RMAH just like D3.

Blizzard = Activition now, through and through.

Their next MMO will not be a true successor to WoW, and instead will be another money grab with another RMAH just like D3.

I definitely agree with you on this point. I really do see Titan turning into this and being the deathknell for mmos

168 replies, pretty good turnout so far. I'll release the results this evening, including the excel sheet in case anybody wants to do any unique stats.

I wanna see the breakdowns on hardcore vs softcore. I'm going to go out on a limb and say there is going to be a major difference (if HC sample size is large enough).

Survey submitted. I've scaled down my playing a bit. I accepted the fact that my main, a Barb, needed 100+ million gold in order to do Inferno so I started a DH to farm for him. My DH is now 45, but I've gotten really bored with the game. I'll occasionally log on and do a quest or two, but the time between doing so has increased in the past couple of weeks.

Survey submitted. I've scaled down my playing a bit. I accepted the fact that my main, a Barb, needed 100+ million gold in order to do Inferno so I started a DH to farm for him. My DH is now 45, but I've gotten really bored with the game. I'll occasionally log on and do a quest or two, but the time between doing so has increased in the past couple of weeks.

Same except I did a WD...

Played for a couple of days, got to Act IV in Hell mode... Pointless.

I was spending more time in the AH then actually killing monsters. Sigh. So I left. Pointless.

It's not D3. It's an ''Economic 101'' simulation, buying virtual items to play in a virtual worlds, but with real money. Stupid. The game was build from ground-up around the AH and the RMAH. That's why D3 failed so hard. D3 is a ''pay-to-win'' app, like those on the iPads.

Sadly, I'm already playing other games. And the 8 friends with whom I played D2 like crazy back in the days, that were all pumped-up about D3, are now also off playing something else, or at my place playing LAN games... Sigh. :(

We are all so sad about D3. So sad... So much fail. We still can't believe it. Blizzactivision failed so hard with that game... :(

The black smith is useless, followers are useless... And every elite packs out there could 1-shot Diablo. Stupid. ''We are Legiooooon!''. Yeah, sure. Poor Diablo, any mortar-waller-arcane-fast-sheild-invul minions could kick your as* and 1-shot you. The Lord of Hell. Yeah, sure. :)

Back