DOOM E3 2015 Gameplay Trailer

Gore is a big part of what made Doom so appealing to so many people. They are trying hard to win back the hearts of the original fans.

I'm guessing the chainsaw effect is not completely dynamic and there are only a few variations on where to cut each enemy.

Kinda gimmicky, enemies dropping glowing powerups that get vacuumed into the player, and why is it the enemies appear to have some kind of force field around them, seems to go blue and then when it goes orange you can do a Mortal Kombat inspired fatality move to them.

Wouldn't say there's a huge amount of enemies hammering the player, but maybe that's more down to difficulty modes or the further you get the more you get swarmed, more than that pos doom 3 anyway which isn't saying much. And at least this time when you kill enemies there's evidence that a battle took place as opposed to doom 3's sterile "burn away" gimmick which left areas neat and tidy and free of body parts.

Some walkthrough vids showing more gameplay

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mvoCObxULl8

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3r1LGewFP-8

Yeah two thoughts:

1. Do we have to?
2. Why everything water balloons with red paint?

Enemies dropping ammo and health is part of the "fight forward" gameplay concept they talked about during the interview after the event. The idea being they wanted to avoid players using cover or shooting-while-backpedaling trap that a lot of FPS fall into these days.

Unfortunately, due to consoles, this level of graphics well be scrapped and further development past the console graphics ceiling will not exist.

I do hope we go back to the Doom 1 style of hordes of enemies.

I disagree. After playing the Serious Sam games, I started getting really bored of the horde-shooting style. I like simplistic twitch shooters, but I think there's a good middle ground that would be perfect. Maybe more enemies than Doom 3, but not huge hordes like Serious Sam.

I'm a huge id fan, and fan of the Doom games in general, and this looks pretty good. I'm with the people who loved Doom 3 though. Doom 3 with a bit of added action (but not ridiculously so) and I'm totally happy.

I just watched a lot of the other footage. I have to say I'm quite excited for it. I can see the close-up kill cinematics getting a bit old or distracting, but the rest of it looks insanely cool. I can't wait!

not sure what i just saw... monsters look doom 3 like and that sucks. was that a cyber demon at the end? it looks like utter garbage. please bring back colors. brown and grey monster textures look terrible. hope we'll see a gameplay demo soon to see the pacing. please no 2spooky4u like d3...

Because rainbow colors all over everything make a good action game set in industrial facilities and hell?!?!

:rolleyes:

Lol, with Doom 3 graphics in 2015! Overall, the hectic mess looked entertaining, though highly unlikely I'd pay more than $5 for it.

don't care for the tunnel vision narrow fov

When will games account for real life peripheral vision...

Lol, with Doom 3 graphics in 2015! Overall, the hectic mess looked entertaining, though highly unlikely I'd pay more than $5 for it.
Took a whole 3 pages to get one of these (the "no more than $5" comment). I'm impressed!

don't care for the tunnel vision narrow fov

When will games account for real life peripheral vision...
Yes! This bothered me during the gameplay demo last night, too. Developers need to get it through their heads that the natural FoV angle for a 16:9 display is approximately 106 degrees.

anything unreal. I liked the last UT but Unreal 3 was just stupid fun for me. I didn't care that I was getting fragged by kids 1/2 (now 1/4) my age, the respawn took too long for me to get back in the fun.

Do you mean an Unreal Tournament 4 (which they are currently developing), or an Unreal 3? Last Unreal game we got was Unreal II, and I sure could use a new Unreal game. But I am eagerly looking forward to UT4. I've played a few early builds of the development version that they release to the public.

As for Doom 4, too early to say anything. Let's see how the final game turns out. But it would really be damn nice if it turned out to be more like Doom 1 and a hell of a lot less like Doom 3.

oops, this is what I was quoting.

I hope it was just for this trailer, but level design looked really unintuitive with no clear direction or pointers. Shooting mechanics looked pretty good.

I'm not sure - it looks cools. I liked Doom 1 - bad ass game. However, have they made it "Doom-like" enough? If so, I could play it again...

I've changed my mind about this. I now think it looks crap. Monsters teleporting in when you hit a trigger point is pretty poor. Yes it happened in Doom 1 but it was not the default. You used to be able to see many of them well off and thus plan; you can't do that if you're fighting them one teleport at a time. And the colours in the demo look dreadful. All those browns and muted colours make the thing look like a mess.

Are you people F@#kin crazy?! It's Doom! And its more badass and sex looking than before. You will never get the nostalgia of Doom 1 so STFU about Doom 1. Don't like the new Doom trailer, make your case and stop being a F@#kin hipster about it. I've loved every single Doom installment and this one looks to be the best yet.

Because rainbow colors all over everything make a good action game set in industrial facilities and hell?!?!

:rolleyes:

this time it does

u5yb.gif

Overall looks to be pretty good, but in all of the game play links shared here it looks a bit.... "consoley":

- Fluid and smooth look movents but very slow.
- Slow motion in menus.
- Combo finish moves where the last part is locked-in scripted actions.
- Dwelling on eye candy for lower number of but bigger bad guys.

I guess if you want your fps game to make any money these days, you pretty much have to conform to the console market. Oh well. Should still be fun.

Is this PC or console? If pc then I'm interested! I built my first rig because of Doom 3 and loved it!

Brutal Doom 2.0? I really want this Doom. I loved 3. even more so with sikkmodd attached.

Is this PC or console? If pc then I'm interested! I built my first rig because of Doom 3 and loved it!
It's coming out for PC and consoles, which is why the game looked to play so slow (accomodating for controllers).

shopped. looks much much better imo. nothing wrong with more colours

No, there's nothing wrong with a bit more color. However, depending on the atmosphere, location, lighting (for example industrial with flames and pouring metal) I don't see what adding a bunch of color artificially would accomplish. I actually do systems admin for a steel mill, and guess what. There's not a lot of color there. Orange and yellow glow from the arc furnaces, dusty metal everywhere, rust in some places, glowing orange metal billets, machines painted yellow or natural metal colors.

Hell? A thick smoggy atmosphere (I'd imagine anyway) which would heavily filter light. Then again, since it's a made up place, I could be completely wrong.

So, yeah, I agree, they could add some color here and there, but if it's out of context, I think it would detract more than it adds. So I'm in partial agreement, but not 100%. I definitely don't want to see the straight up RGB lights that the PS1 version of Doom had for example :D and I don't think they should let Lady Rainacorn loose in hell either. (...or maybe they should... :p )

Anyway, I think it looks good, but a little tweaking never hurts.

No, there's nothing wrong with a bit more color. However, depending on the atmosphere, location, lighting (for example industrial with flames and pouring metal) I don't see what adding a bunch of color artificially would accomplish. I actually do systems admin for a steel mill, and guess what. There's not a lot of color there. Orange and yellow glow from the arc furnaces, dusty metal everywhere, rust in some places, glowing orange metal billets, machines painted yellow or natural metal colors.

Hell? A thick smoggy atmosphere (I'd imagine anyway) which would heavily filter light. Then again, since it's a made up place, I could be completely wrong.

So, yeah, I agree, they could add some color here and there, but if it's out of context, I think it would detract more than it adds. So I'm in partial agreement, but not 100%. I definitely don't want to see the straight up RGB lights that the PS1 version of Doom had for example :D and I don't think they should let Lady Rainacorn loose in hell either. (...or maybe they should... :p )

Anyway, I think it looks good, but a little tweaking never hurts.
I always find it funny that random people on the internet know more about color design and profiling in video games than the professionals who actually work on the game. I agree with your assessment on lighting conditions in real life, especially when it comes to the Hell environment as it was presented. Not everything will look like a clear sunny day, or lighted artificially with fluorescent bulbs.

Remember when people were saying Diablo III looked too bright and vibrant? Have we done a complete 180 since then?

Back