Diablo 3 Offline Single Player Petition

Online DRM is the future and already a growing media. And we can all thank steam for it :) It started the trend.. And is now growing and becoming worse.
But at least Steam has an offline mode.....

It took 3 minutes to open a ticket on battle.net to request a refund. I like the game but the constant server restarts (one happening 20 minutes from right now) and lag (in a game that should have zero) is pretty annoying.

But at least Steam has an offline mode.....

And steam doesn't require always online, it's basically a verification check is all it is.

While I think Blizzard is retarded for having an online only game for both single and player, more so retarded then everyone who keeps stomping their feet claiming this game doesn't really have single player mode, it's not quite as retarded as starting an online petition.

^ What stinks about Steam, though, is that you can't play on a plane where there's no Internet (or w/o having to buy their rip-off Wi-Fi service), right? :confused:

^ What stinks about Steam, though, is that you can't play on a plane where there's no Internet (or w/o having to buy their rip-off Wi-Fi service), right? :confused:

Not if you turn it on, connect online at home, verify, put in sleep.

Then its verified and ready.

And steam doesn't require always online, it's basically a verification check is all it is.

While I think Blizzard is retarded for having an online only game for both single and player, more so retarded then everyone who keeps stomping their feet claiming this game doesn't really have single player mode, it's not quite as retarded as starting an online petition.

You sure have a thing for retards.

Not if you turn it on, connect online at home, verify, put in sleep.

Then its verified and ready.
True, that would work. I wasn't sure if Steam phoned home every so often to re-authenticate. But if they don't, then I guess the only concern would be hoping that the OS doesn't crash, b/c then upon reboot, the computer would have to phone home to Steam again to re-authenticate.

You sure have a thing for retards.

Well after having been chewed out by someone recently about how the word retard is the same as the word n*gger (not nagger either), I'm pretty much pulling a Randle, "Porch monkies! I'm taking it back!!!"

True, that would work. I wasn't sure if Steam phoned home every so often to re-authenticate. But if they don't, then I guess the only concern would be hoping that the OS doesn't crash, b/c then upon reboot, the computer would have to phone home to Steam again to re-authenticate.

not quite, if steam can't connect to the network it gives you the option of offline mode, you should be able to still play all of your games under those circumstances.

D3 is set up more like an MMO then single player game most of the game back end is on the server
namely ITEM DROPS are done on the server along with some other stuff

any one that didnt know it was online only didnt do there homework it was announced as such years ago

not quite, if steam can't connect to the network it gives you the option of offline mode, you should be able to still play all of your games under those circumstances.

Oh yeah, I forgot, Steam does have an offline mode. Been a long time since I haven't had internet.. :p

Even though the real reason is that I already have way too many games to ever play, can I still smugly say that crap like this is why I'm not buying Diablo 3?

Even though the real reason is that I already have way too many games to ever play, can I still smugly say that crap like this is why I'm not buying Diablo 3?

Diablo moved to the top of my queue of games to play.

Got 100 hours in, with about 2 weeks of owning it. Would be more, but last week I put in 9 hours of overtime, lol.

Whats with the discussion about steam?

If you are not already logged in and have no internet to log in you cant play your steam games theres no offline option unless you where already logged in.

Whats with the discussion about steam?

If you are not already logged in and have no internet to log in you cant play your steam games theres no offline option unless you where already logged in.

You can't install new games without having an internet connection, however if you have games already installed and you've run them then you can go into offline mode and play them whether you have internet or not.

I did find that if i logged out, exited steam, and disabled my network adapter, I would have to try and log in, and THEN open steam again and it would work. The first time it just says "steam could not connect to network" so you click ok and if you try and run steam again it'll ask you if you want to start in online mode.

Oh yeah, I forgot, Steam does have an offline mode. Been a long time since I haven't had internet.. :p

It works pretty well too. My first experience with Steam was due to Fallout New Vegas and I was pretty much 100% against using it so after NV was installed, I let it get whatever updates were needed, locked down everything I could about Steam and then took it offline. It never bugged me about going online unless I allowed it to fetch more patches.

I'm done with Steam for the time being since I didn't really enjoy New Vegas. The world might someday shift to online DRM and follow after Diablo 3, which is a huge disappointment. While I don't -have- to be always on, I'm going to avoid games that make it mandatory. Gaming isn't that important anyway. I have too much other stupid, "Hey, you're an adult and are responsible for everything" junk to worry about now.

It works pretty well too. My first experience with Steam was due to Fallout New Vegas and I was pretty much 100% against using it so after NV was installed, I let it get whatever updates were needed, locked down everything I could about Steam and then took it offline. It never bugged me about going online unless I allowed it to fetch more patches.

I'm done with Steam for the time being since I didn't really enjoy New Vegas. The world might someday shift to online DRM and follow after Diablo 3, which is a huge disappointment. While I don't -have- to be always on, I'm going to avoid games that make it mandatory. Gaming isn't that important anyway. I have too much other stupid, "Hey, you're an adult and are responsible for everything" junk to worry about now.

I buy all my stuff through Steam now. I actually don't even game on my console anymore, Steam is just so damn convenient and all my games are available anywhere, and I barely have any money put into my collection.

I don't really like the "always on" aspect of games, but Diablo has a reason, they want to avoid item duplication. I don't see it as any different than Counter Strike. I mean you can play CS offline, but... I mean c'mon, you have to have at least ONE friend to play with, right? Only difference is Diablo doesn't have a offline option, but it's kind of boring to play by yourself, and if you do, you can at least chat with people in game, ask for help, etc.

I buy all my stuff through Steam now. I actually don't even game on my console anymore, Steam is just so damn convenient and all my games are available anywhere, and I barely have any money put into my collection.

I don't really like the "always on" aspect of games, but Diablo has a reason, they want to avoid item duplication. I don't see it as any different than Counter Strike. I mean you can play CS offline, but... I mean c'mon, you have to have at least ONE friend to play with, right? Only difference is Diablo doesn't have a offline option, but it's kind of boring to play by yourself, and if you do, you can at least chat with people in game, ask for help, etc.

Don't get me wrong, Steam's okay. My only gripe with it is the encouraged social aspects added through silly achievements, networking with friends, and letting other people know what you're currently doing/playing. Digital distribution which makes a game available for download regardless of where I'm sitting is a good thing. Interaction with other people is too close to Facebook for gamers to appeal to me.

It's true, they need to control looting so Blizzard can generate income. There's still a lot of worthy debate about whether or not the whole idea is even a good one, but I'll let that up to other people actually playing to game to kick around since I'm pretty sure I'll be sitting this one out unless my netbook dies horribly and I don't feel like using one of the older/slower laptops laying around -and- I can find a nice little computer with an okay graphics card.

Well, how do people find level 60 items then? :p They end up in the AH somehow.

I know the loot system is kinda broken, but saying all you do is farm gold is stretching it.

The idea is that you have basically no chance of finding worthwhile loot to your character. And you have no goals of what loot you are looking for, besides the simple improvements on stats for the next purchased from the AH rare.

So you are not looking for gear to use, you are looking for gear to sell for gold. You are not looking for any specific items, or named mob. The player is encouraged to earn gold any way he can.

You max at level 60 in a relatively short period of time, and that form of progression ends.

The most time efficient way of 'winning' or maxing a character, or hell even gaining strength of any kind is not to kill monsters, its to play the AH.

If this isn't an endgame designed strictly around farming gold, I don't know what is.

Voting with your wallet is going to send a much bigger message than a petition. Ever since I found out about the internet connection requirement, I made the choice to not add Diablo III to my games collection. I've been a Diablo game fan since it's original debut, but WE should be the ones dictating what we get, not the game developers when it comes to bullshit like this.

Because hey, I'm also one of those people that play games on my laptop when I travel or I'll fire up a game when my internet is down (what else am I going to do?).

Oh, that's good to know. I never tried to play Steam w/ my Ethernet cable unplugged, but I may try that for the heck of it the next time.

I wonder how Steam would combat the scenario where someone logs in and installs his Steam games on multiple computers (e.g., for his family/friends) and then they can all play those games in off-line mode. :confused:

your all still missing the point asking for an offline mode for D3 is like asking for an off line mode for WoW
it CANT and WONT happen the game is build like an MMO and i have feeling its built on the WoW engine on top of that

your all still missing the point asking for an offline mode for D3 is like asking for an off line mode for WoW
it CANT and WONT happen the game is build like an MMO and i have feeling its built on the WoW engine on top of that

While I'll agree it won't, to say it can't happen is pretty silly.

Also the notion that D3 is in any way like WoW as a comparison is equally silly

10:1 someone whips up an emulated server that runs in the background as a crack to the game, it holds the character data and loot. How much game data is really not on your computer, for pure logistics I bet very little is missing.

10:1 someone whips up an emulated server that runs in the background as a crack to the game, it holds the character data and loot. How much game data is really not on your computer, for pure logistics I bet very little is missing.

I think that is already being worked on, actually. Not sure.

While I'll agree it won't, to say it can't happen is pretty silly.

Also the notion that D3 is in any way like WoW as a comparison is equally silly

a good bit is server side
mob and item generation for sure this has been said by blue
map generation as well

there are a few things that make me thing they used the WoW engine for this as well from the way thing act around lag
i noticed my toon "swimming" in mid air once which is some thing the WoW engine does when some thing is flying and there is lag
with the WoW swim animation

It's just an average game. I got to inferno but am just plain bored with the game right now. I didnt like them getting rid of stat points but what kills it the most for me is no skill tree. There is no point in creating a new toon of the same class. The only customization is with items; it's too bad the items dont have that "awesome" feel to them either.

Back