Crysis 2 DX11 Tessellation & High-Res Texture Pack @ [H]

While I have yet to bother playing Crysis 2 after the patch I must say it went very smoothly for my hard copy version. Let the game update itself, downloaded and installed the patches, and the game starts so I guess my "gift" is unwrapped. But it still feels like I got an itchy sweater from my grandma... looks good but I still dont want to wear it. Worse off I had to pay for it, quite a gift.

I built my rig for this game that's the sad part, played the campaign for maybe an hour, then the multiplayer for the same, and haven't played it since it was so bland, not bad I guess but bland ...its all right though, need more video card before Im happy with my build anyway and its only a matter of time before Rage and the next Battlefield come out, hopefully I wont be even angrier with EA after that.

well it would be kinda weird to include the game in benchies now

no matter how relevent the game or the engine is, or how much your readers are interested

That will not be happening.

Seems like a lot of people that bash Crysis 2 like F3AR for some reason, they are to me very similar shooters. I like F3AR thus far, it doesn't support multi-monitor out of the box and no DX 11 patch planed so to me it's far more consolized than Crysis 2.

F3AR guys are already working on widescreen multi-monitor support. And it does work fine with multi-display, just not widescreen huge resolutions. I played it on my NV Surround portrait setup. Cost $15 less than C2 too, and expectations were much more hinged on gameplay than graphics.....which are solid.

FEAR 3 is DX11

All this DX11 patch bs is pissing me off. What DX11 patch means is they just add some - not necesarily DX11 features on top of the existing engine.

So no true DX11 egnine, multithreaded rendering, multiple object creation or other DX11 intrinsic stuff.
Not even MSAA...like in Crysis 2.

FEAR 3 is DX11

All this DX11 patch bs is pissing me off. What DX11 patch means is they just add some - not necesarily DX11 features on top of the existing engine.

So no true DX11 egnine, multithreaded rendering, multiple object creation or other DX11 intrinsic stuff.
Not even MSAA...like in Crysis 2.

Might read up here on F3AR and some of the graphical elements.

I will. I wasnt talking about FEAR 3 though. The game which came with DX11 out of the box

I was referring to all this lets publish the usual DX9 crap, and then one day we'll gif DX 11 patch etc

the poster thing is aweful. How do company's expect people to buy another game from them when they put this crap out there?

They wrote the entire article just to be able to use it :D

The logo is actually from our PSU reviews. I was getting ready to publish the article and thought to myself that it would be perfect to describe our experience. So it was actually a last minute thing. And I think it is absolutely at home.

There was no attitude from me. Again I stated FACTUALLY how my install process of the Crysis 2 update went. I have no idea when [H] folks began to hate facts and user actual user experiences. How can anyone state factually of problems they don't see?

You have the steam version,

They have the non-steam version.

Can you see a potential for auto updater screw ups here? hello?

Thanks for the info. I've played all of the FEAR games and really like the series. But like Crysis 2 it has taken a step back to consoles as even first FEAR game has better widescreen support than this latest offering almost 6 years later.

Didn't realize that, just looked it up on Wikipedia and it lists F3AR with DX 11 AA support, thanks.

I didn't know that F3AR supported DX 11 as well. No wonder turning AA on takes such a performance hit, specifically 4x AA. That explains it.

You have the steam version,

They have the non-steam version.

Can you see a potential for auto updater screw ups here? hello?

And I mentioned that I have the Steam version in my first post and understood that was a difference. Again I was only relaying my experience which for some reason some people are infusing with a whole host of emotions. I never told anyone to shut up and never said that others weren't having problems.

Strange emotional reactions for something that was a cut and dried step by step account of a Crysis 2 patch update experience.

I didn't know that F3AR supported DX 11 as well. No wonder turning AA on takes such a performance hit, specifically 4x AA. That explains it.

I think 4XMSAA is broken actually. The FSAA gives 4X level AA without any hit. Give it a look.

And I mentioned that I have the Steam version in my first post and understood that was a difference. Again I was only relaying my experience which for some reason some people are infusing with a whole host of emotions. I never told anyone to shut up and never said that others weren't having problems.

Strange emotional reactions for something that was a cut and dried step by step account of a Crysis 2 patch update experience.

hmmmm yes, quite. You are very arsey in your tone though heartless. :D

Thankyou very much for pointing out and verifying the errors Kyle, after trying different ways, I sure didn't feel like starting from scratch any time soon, I need time for my blood pressure to get back to normal. Sometimes I would like to ring some developers neck for not considering my time as being of value.

the poster thing is aweful. How do company's expect people to buy another game from them when they put this crap out there?

Spend a little more from the profits and hype the game up to the next level.

Lol at everyone praising F3AR for DX 11 support. I've actually asked one of the developers about this, and they only use the DX 11 API for the free performance boost. You aren't going to find anything nearly as remarkable as Crysis 2's DX 11 update here (he also stated blatantly that the game is the same as the console version in nearly every way, save for some better textures).

And Kyle, I assumed as a journalist you'd be a bit more unbiased, but it's clear from your comments that you are holding some kind of grudge against this company.

The biggest thing I learned today was that Kyle has a 10yr old son, the biggest depressing thing I learned to today is that said son's computer probably rapes mine without the courtesy of a reach around :(. I also did not see much difference in the screenshots warranting such a huge patch.

how good you play with a 570?
A single 580 is just at the limit, you can't play well with a 570 so you are bashing something that you can't appreciate.

At what limit, VRAM? The game maxes out VRAM on every card. Doesn't make a difference if you have 1GB or 2GB.
My 570 OC beats a 580 stock and I should have bought one of those $100+ more? What an idiot. :(

I can buy three GTX 580s right now and it won't make Crysis 2 any better.
To criticize another persons PC because you have 580SLI shows how clueless you are about hardware needs for today's games.

I average 40-50fps, and occasionally hit 78fps in game with everything maxed. Get your facts straight.
You have dual 580s hooked up to a 24", yeah that's real hardcore. :p

yup my 2 570's run this game at 60fps avg. vram is constantly maxed but doesnt seem to have any effect at all

Fair enough on the X FAIL for your difficult install process. I'm glad mine only took 5 minutes outside of the download time. I guess when you hate something dealing with it is always more difficult.

False assumptions alluding to people being biased make you look dumb. This is not a kiddie forum, you will look the fool if you act it.

And Kyle, I assumed as a journalist you'd be a bit more unbiased, but it's clear from your comments that you are holding some kind of grudge against this company.

Yes I carry grudges and biases for companies that rip me off. I never said I was journalist, you did. I am not a game reviewer. I am just a PC gamer that has a bully pulpit to let my feelings be known.

+1,000,000

My thoughts exactly. Honestly, what kind of person has that kind of attitude?

Goes both ways.

Its not working for me so its a piece of shit and should never ever have been released.
Its working for me so its the greatest thing and if it doesn't work for you then your stupid.

Neither are better than the other, just saying that in general not at you specifically.

At what limit, VRAM? The game maxes out VRAM on every card. Doesn't make a difference if you have 1GB or 2GB.

Are you serious?

Hell yeah. Almost no difference between 1, 2 or 3GB VRAM. Even on 2560x1600.

Afterburner reporting _X amount of MB VRAM usage, does not mean that game actually needs all that VRAM, or that card with less then _X MB will perform worse.

http://www.pcgameshardware.de/aid,8...t-fuenf-neuen-Grafikkarten/Action-Spiel/Test/

Crysis_2_DX11_GPUs_1600p_Update.png

Last edited:
LOL. Reading this thread, I beg to differ.

Just mention the word Crytek and people's IQs and maturity levels drop drastically. Works every time.

This is the comment of the day.

Will this thread just go die already? :)

LOL. Reading this thread, I beg to differ.

Just mention the word Crytek and people's IQs and maturity levels drop drastically. Works every time.

Crytek!

And what happens next....

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PbcctWbC8Q0&feature=related"]YouTube - ‪angry german kid‬‏[/ame]

We need to know the performance of graphics processors AMD and nVIDIA with DX11, and do not need something else ;)

People that pre-ordered the game BEFORE Crytek dropped the "DX9 only" bomb 3 weeks before the game shipped have every right to be mad.

By the way, the FAQ is now officially broken too :(

This "3 weeks before game ships" reminds me of when Modern Warfare 2 was about to hit the shelves, Vince Zampella and some other guy gave interviews with Best Buy about the game, and they then launched that bombshell that MW2 would have ALL the good features that made CoD4 great removed. This occured 3 weeks before MW2's launch date. Seems like lately devs don't want to give out too much info early on and wait untill the last minute to give out info that could possibly cost them sales, I'm surprised it even gets out at all before launch day.

That just shows you can't trust ANY company to do what they say they will untill you see the finished program on your desktop, installed, lauched, and experienced, only then is it possible to formulate an opinion on it that's even somewhere in the area of relevant.

I can't believe how anti Crytek this article was. It is not what I usually expect from HardOCP. I for one had no issue whatever with the upgrade. The game automatically patched to 1.9 when I started it and it was extremely easy and fast to add on the DirectX11 patch. I doubt I will go through the whole game again but it was worth a look.
As for the game itself while I was a bit dissapointed with the lack of freedom in the levels and the textures were a bit lo-res at times, I still finished the game which I don't with most games as I usually become bored half way through.
Apart from the lo-res textures I found the graphics excellent, especially the lighting which is the best I have seen in any game. The fact that it runs smoothly on moderate graphics cards is not something to complain about. Complaints should go to games like DA2 which looks like rubbish next to Crysis 2 and runs like a dog unless you have a GTX580 or similar.

False assumptions alluding to people being biased make you look dumb. This is not a kiddie forum, you will look the fool if you act it.

And denying that [H] hates Crysis 2 is even more foolish. They hate the game from top to bottom. It would be foolish to assume that anything positive between this game and [H] would ever happen.

Yes, it's liek theyre all Armenians or sumtin :D

What the hell does this have to do with anything? If you read the review, they spent more time actually trying to patch the game and get it to work than actually playing it.

I'd consider that a fail no matter who or where the game comes from.

I realize that nothing is perfect and sometimes games launch with errors, but stuff of that nature just shouldn't happen, 4 hours to get a patch and get it installed and get it to work? That's 4 hours they could have spent you know, actually playing a friggin game.

A patch should take however long it takes to download, then a few minutes to install, and then you should be up and running if it doesn't ask you to make any configuration changes before starting up.

When you spend more time trying to get something work than enjoying it, something is very clearly wrong.

Starting to get really easy to see why the people who wait for the Steam sales for the top titles are becoming less and less of a minority, because why pay $60 for a game when you can get a much better, fully patched experience a few months down the line and also save quite a bit, and also pick up more games? Lots of people have a backlog, incidents like what happened here just makes it easier to save your money.

Last edited:
Starting to get really easy to see why the people who wait for the Steam sales for the top titles are becoming less and less of a minority, because why pay $60 for a game when you can get a much better, fully patched experience a few months down the line and also save quite a bit, and also pick up more games? Lots of people have a backlog, incidents like what happened here just makes it easier to save your money.

I'm pretty sure price is 95% of that reasoning haha. Price wont stop people from buying a game they really want. People that buy games on steam during sales were iffy about the game to begin with and create dumb excuses not to buy it to justify themselves on the internet. So they pick the game up for 10$ when nobody cares anymore. Then they can say they have it. And maybe get around to playing it / trying it. But a good percent still don't play it. (Creating Backlog) But if you ask those same people if they have played the 60$ games they bought and really wanted I am sure they would say yes.

$60 for game?
STALKER 2, Diablo 3, and maaaybe HL3

Crysis 2... it has been well known, long be4 the game was published that the CryEngine 3 will be console oriented, so yeah why pay $60 for consolitis.

Personally, I don't like the looks of both C1 and C2
(too intensive colorization, too artificial looks, synthetic, no real meat so to speak)

but it can not be denied that they are both on top of the PC gaming graphics wise.

A bit late, but Crytek did deliver. Even if installation was impossible FAIL is over the top.
There'll be no Pulitzers this year for [H] I'm afraid

Back