Crysis 2 DX11 Tessellation & High-Res Texture Pack @ [H]

lol, these screenshots really make the game look like rubbish. what was used for screen capture?
because theres alot of grainy/grungy artifacts.. cant tell if its the screen captures fault or the game itself but man, lolol.

looks really bad.

I don't really get the dx11 drama, It was added late but at least it added some new effects. The original crysis might as well have been a dx9 game as just about everything in dx10 mode could be done in dx9 with config edits, and usually at a better framerate. All dx10 done in that game was tank your framerate for no additional eyecandy.

I thnik there was like 1 dx10 effect in the original that couldn't be emulated in dx9 mode and i don;t even remember if it was noticable or not.

The game looks "good" now or better than DX9 but the game play suxx

At the end Crysis 2 is shitty game with good graphics. Linear and no real AI

I have hear a lot on console players and i'm guessing new PC gamers that are amazed on how the game looks, but the fact is that the game play doesn't deliver, is plain a boring. and there still reflections and a lot of details that weren't really finished with the patch.

The patch is here yea but i get the feel that is was rushed and not complete.

It could have been left with DX9 for all i care, the game just sucks it doesn't deliver a good game play the AI and the combat is just linear and crappy.

Honestly Crytek did screw this one up for everyone. (except for console kids)

I rather have an awesome game play with average graphics or old game engine. (crysis 1 anyone)
None the less awesome graphics are always cool, but if the ruin the game play fuckem

Still Hopping for BF3 and yet will see if it delivers

Blimey! Editor in Chief slumming forum user because of ESL.

Not cool :mad:

Anyway, as someone already pointed out, in the end most ppl got what they expected/wanted.

And yet they're still meh.
But if this DX11 was released initialy it would be hubba-hubba.
Nothing is real, its all about perceived values.

because theres alot of grainy/grungy artifacts..

That's probably JPEG artifacts... you won't see that in the game; it's just a side effect of compression for easier web viewing.

The game looks "good" now or better than DX9 but the game play suxx

At the end Crysis 2 is shitty game with good graphics. Linear and no real AI

I thought it was ok but i didn't like the way the suits powers were combined, also the ai was really dodgy. Amusing now to look back at Cevat Yerli claim it would have this amazing ai and then see it do shit like this:

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=85A0h4wcedY"]YouTube - ‪Crysis 2 AI‬‏[/ame]

And that metallic clanking sound in the background since the patch hit is really pissing me off.

A decade ago dx9 came out, gamers got excited, developers got excited and game visuals improved completely. ~5 years ago dx10 came out, gamers got excited but developers didn't give it much attention. People made excuses about Vista, etc then we got dx11. Windows 7 was an instant hit and I got really excited about dx11. The platform install base is there. In fact I hadn't upgraded a single computer component in nearly three years, but was confident enough in dx11 that I built my current system.

There's no excuse to be stuck at dx9, low resolution textures, lightning and a white paper of features we see only in a benchmark.

I'm sick of fucking excuses. I'm done being grateful when I'm promised chocolate cake and served shit muffins.

I've appreciated and supported all quality dx11 titles to date, as there have been some.

Clearly. Crytek games have been steaming piles of shit since Far Cry 1.

But a review about the DX11 update is about the quality of the DX11 update, not politics.

I think having to work with the game for 4 hours to get the magical patch to work is worth a FAIL all on its own. Sorry you do not agree. If you would like to go through our screen caps and show us where we missed the awesomeness, please do.

I had already had Crysis 2 installed on my gaming rig. The patch process was very simple and all updates went seamless. It is very unfortunate that many others had problems but I can guarantee that as many that had problems there were just as many that did not. I am very happy with the update. Still angry about the fact that it should have been shipped with it from the get go.

Thanks,
Justin

I patched my origin copy withough any problems. It patched, I installed DX11, then the textures. Took like 5 minutes with like 5 clicks.

If you don't like something, no one will blame you for that, but respect for the work of the others. Your mama doesn't teached you that when you was young?

My parents taught me to respect and appreciate the good work of others both that which came before me and that which is generated around me. They also taught me to call low quality garbage like this as I see it. In this case, the screen shots speak volumes. The game is still a low quality POS.

When this game was announced, I was excited and waiting almost breathlessly for it to be released. Having been burned many times by many different companies I chose not to preorder and to wait and see how it got reviewed. Of my four friends that were looking forward to this game I talked three of them into waiting to buy it. What came out was not a PC game; it’s an Xbox game that can be played on a PC. None of the features I was looking forward to were included at release. The release of those features as a patch is a good thing; but it is defiantly not a gift. The improvements to the graphics are marginal at best. Over all I find the FAIL rating to be very accurate. Oh, of the four friends I mentioned before, only two of them ended up buying it, both are constantly complaining about it.

I think Kyle is dead on, this game is a diaster.

With the default version of the game running on a mid-range system with the graphics settings some where in the middle or so, it looks pretty cool. The game seems kinda fun, more fun than some of the recent "games on rails" like Call Of Duty.

But, the AI did seem so bad that it's funny.

Based on pure "game play fun" I think it's all been going down hill since Doom II / Duke Nukem 3d or so...

Any FPS game that makes you feel like you're riding in a little cart on a little track, where you can't open doors, can't stack up crates and climb over a wall because there's an "invisible fence" blocking you, sucks. I detested Half Life 2 because of those issues.

It's well past time that being able to shoot your way through a "locked" door is the STANDARD in FPS games rather than the rare exception.

Finally - it's obvious that Kyle/Steve are expressing some personal bias in their review/in this thread.

..Over all I find the FAIL rating to be very accurate. Oh, of the four friends I mentioned before, only two of them ended up buying it, both are constantly complaining about it.

I must admit, I don' think there's been a single game released in the last 10 years that's worth $60. :rolleyes:

post your bench results.

1920x1200 maxed out, first bench is in DX9, second in DX11.
crysis2_SLI.png

why no one post benchy?

I'm currently re-installing Crysis Warhead, my fav in the series.
I've been playing C2 for the last few months, so now I'm going back to the original to see if it feels and looks "vastly" different.

Not playing a game for a while some times would yield a different experience.
So I'm going to give my final verdict on C2 after playing Warhead again.

I'm currently re-installing Crysis Warhead, may fav in the series.
I've been playing C2 for the last few months, so now I'm going back to the original.

Not playing a game for a while would usually give a vastly different experience.
So I'm going to give my final verdict on C2 after playing Warhead again.

to give a verdict in this thread (DX11 + high res) you need to buy a capable graphics card.

That's exactly the attitude I got back when I complained about how much Vista sucked.

There was no attitude from me. Again I stated FACTUALLY how my install process of the Crysis 2 update went. I have no idea when [H] folks began to hate facts and user actual user experiences. How can anyone state factually of problems they don't see?

I think we should be mindful that it may have been an isolated issue with your setup. Are lots of people having issues? Forgive me for not knowing, I don't follow this closely as I don't care about Crytek games. If it is a widespread issue, perhaps then we can deem it as a fail.

And if we're that pissed off that it didn't ship with a DX11 path, and the DX11 update didn't really improve anything... Maybe it wasn't Crytek's problem to begin with? Be mindful that the island in Crysis 1 was a pretty ideal place to show off what the engine could do and a city scape just isn't as pretty as a tropical island.

Did you not read the article? It is widespread enough that Crytek officially recognized the issue immediately.

Glad you and my 10 year old thought it was an awesome game.

People that pre-ordered the game BEFORE Crytek dropped the "DX9 only" bomb 3 weeks before the game shipped have every right to be mad.

Yes, but isn't three weeks still plenty of time to cancel a preorder? ;)

Appreciate the article and hard work as always, gang.

It's odd, DA2 didn't get plastered to the bottom of the shitbag when poor performance on nVidia cards was followed up with a driver release. Dev's fault for working with AMD or just one of those 'wait for the new GPU driver' things?

Maybe game reviews are less of a priority than hardware reviews when it comes to objectivity, although I've read a few hardware reviews that were redone without much comment following some tweak or driver from the vendor.

I have not played C2, but unles the game in motion is any better than those screens, I can honestly say Call of Pripyat with the Complete mod blows Crysis 2 away visually.

I guess the era of PC gaming exclusives is coming to an end afterall. I thought with DX11 features, that PC titles would take a leap over current console titles. It's been long enough for developers to do there thing, but we are still getting console anchored products.

I have not played C2, but unles the game in motion is any better than those screens, I can honestly say Call of Pripyat with the Complete mod blows Crysis 2 away visually.

I guess the era of PC gaming exclusives is coming to an end afterall. I thought with DX11 features, that PC titles would take a leap over current console titles. It's been long enough for developers to do there thing, but we are still getting console anchored products.

And we're headed for stagnation since none of the consoles are going to be succeeded anytime soon. :(

Did you not read my post? I haven't been able to play any Crytek games because they've all been laughably un-fun. I don't care if the graphics are good or not.

It just smacks of being decided long before you could ever download the patch. I don't think there's any arguing that there has not been a Crytek inquisition on these forums since Crysis 2 came out. No matter what you're all going to find some way to justify moaning about it.

Well if you think the 4 hour install time should inflate the FAIL to a Gold Award in your book. You go right ahead and think that way.

It would seem there are at least a few people with issues and are trying to access the FAQ link with info on the errors :( :

crysis_FAQ.jpg

Man, I hate articles like this....I "wanted" this to be a WIN. I wanted to hear that DX11 Crysis 2 was awesome, and have to shell out $$$ to buy it.

Looks like my $ will go to F3AR.

I love the "kick in the nuts" comment. Thanks for saving me $60.00. I'll go play something else.

Ha ha!

That giant "FAIL" logo LITERALLY made me laugh out loud, ha ha! :D

Well, we have Battlefield 3 to look forward to, so at least there's one huge game by a great dev finally taking advantage of DX11, which takes a massive leap over consoles.

Hopefully others soon to follow, though how many and when, is probably wishful thinking.

Then came the kick in the nuts from Crytek when the CEO proclaimed to the world that these patches were "a gift" coming months later.

Yeah, really... I've never liked their attitude, and this just sealed it for me for not buying anything further they put out. The attitude of those guys is just way out-of-hand.

Man, I hate articles like this....I "wanted" this to be a WIN. I wanted to hear that DX11 Crysis 2 was awesome, and have to shell out $$$ to buy it.

Finished F3AR a couple days ago and really liked it. :D Probably more of a $40 game than a $50, but ........

How the hell did that DX11 gimmick entered [H] benchies is beyond me. :rolleyes:

We are not near as perfect as our forum posters are. We can only strive to reach golden plateau one day.

well it would be kinda weird to include the game in benchies now

no matter how relevent the game or the engine is, or how much your readers are interested

Seems like a lot of people that bash Crysis 2 like F3AR for some reason, they are to me very similar shooters. I like F3AR thus far, it doesn't support multi-monitor out of the box and no DX 11 patch planed so to me it's far more consolized than Crysis 2.

I was one of the suckers that fell for the video and Nvidia DX11 page..after I read about the DX9 out of the box I still held out hope that it was going to be worth it.

Well after playing about 8-10 hours I realized that there was no way I would play through this twice so I stopped. Planned to continue after DX11 patch hit.

Patch hits, Game auto patches, install the Hi-res textures and DX11 patch and now it crashes during load.

FML

Back