Company Seizes 3-D Printer From Desktop Gunsmith

If you know anything about firearms and guns, it should be plenty obvious how many gun laws one could break if they could CNC their own parts. And further why it is less of a double standard why the project needed unplugged.

you're allowed to manufacture your own personal firearms

you're allowed to manufacture your own personal firearms

To a point. You're not allowed to manufacture certain types of firearms, such as machineguns or short-barreled rifles, without being a licensed manufacturer. You're not even allowed to manufacture parts that can convert an existing firearm into a machinegun since those are classified in and of themselves as machineguns by the ATF. You're also not allowed to ever part with that personal firearm for sale or trade, and it must be destroyed at the time of your death. You can make any kind of conventional pistol, rifle or shotgun. You could also make something crazy and impractical, like a double-barreled pistol that fired both barrels at once, or a lever-action 10-gauge shotgun, or the Joker's "Long Gun" from the original Batman movie. The main thing is to not run afoul of the NFA or GCA. Being investigated by the ATF is not fun, nor is a felony conviction if you like firearms.

To a point. You're not allowed to manufacture certain types of firearms, such as machineguns or short-barreled rifles, without being a licensed manufacturer. You're not even allowed to manufacture parts that can convert an existing firearm into a machinegun since those are classified in and of themselves as machineguns by the ATF. You're also not allowed to ever part with that personal firearm for sale or trade, and it must be destroyed at the time of your death. You can make any kind of conventional pistol, rifle or shotgun. You could also make something crazy and impractical, like a double-barreled pistol that fired both barrels at once, or a lever-action 10-gauge shotgun, or the Joker's "Long Gun" from the original Batman movie. The main thing is to not run afoul of the NFA or GCA. Being investigated by the ATF is not fun, nor is a felony conviction if you like firearms.

Im not really sure what you are getting at. Im fully aware of BATFE regulations, but citizens are entitled to manufacture their own firearms. Whether you are milling from CNC or using a 3d printer I dont see what the difference is. "converting" a gun such as the AR-15 to fully automatic is pretty damn tough unless you already have the parts to do so, and someone that could machine their own replacement parts could just make a fully auto AR anyway. That isnt sound reasoning to take away the ability to do so. I possess the ability to harm other people in loads of different ways if I desired, and the nanny state mentality to bar access to most of those methods; be it building a gun, carrying a bat, or driving a car is absolutely ridiculous.

As technology advances we should be able to enjoy it. And us "evil gun advocates" would enjoy the ability to manufacture our own firearms as it becomes easier and cheaper to do so.

*note: A firearm is not a more effective killing tool just because it is FA, some would even say it is less effective (accuracy, wasted ammo, prone to failure or jamming)

A lot of the hype around class II and III weapons are all fabricated by the man to ban more and more weapons

It's more effective. There's a reason every military issues infantry personal weapons capable of automatic fire. Close in there's no comparison.

It's more effective. There's a reason every military issues infantry personal weapons capable of automatic fire. Close in there's no comparison.

Full auto is a waste of ammo, getting your shots on target with single/bursts is much more effective.

Im not really sure what you are getting at. Im fully aware of BATFE regulations, but citizens are entitled to manufacture their own firearms. Whether you are milling from CNC or using a 3d printer I dont see what the difference is.
I'm not disputing this at all.

"converting" a gun such as the AR-15 to fully automatic is pretty damn tough unless you already have the parts to do so, and someone that could machine their own replacement parts could just make a fully auto AR anyway. That isnt sound reasoning to take away the ability to do so.
I'm not advocating taking away the ability to do so. There are politicians and radical agenda driven groups that might, but we're on the same side on this.

I possess the ability to harm other people in loads of different ways if I desired, and the nanny state mentality to bar access to most of those methods; be it building a gun, carrying a bat, or driving a car is absolutely ridiculous.
I agree 100%.

As technology advances we should be able to enjoy it. And us "evil gun advocates" would enjoy the ability to manufacture our own firearms as it becomes easier and cheaper to do so.
Again, I do agree here. I only posted what I did above as a cautionary statement. Some people think that, if you can manufacture your own firearm that you can make anything you want, like a Sten or M3 or something along those lines. I just don't want to see anyone get in trouble for making an innocent mistake. The government tends to throw the book at those people and let the career criminals walk around doing what they want.

If you know anything about firearms and guns, it should be plenty obvious how many gun laws one could break if they could CNC their own parts.

That is the most moronic argument ever.

I'll let you in on a little reality: It does not require a CNC to break gun laws and further more, people ARE legally allowed to CNC their own gun parts.

But I digress, this thread is about 3D printers and the term CNC covers a much, much broader range of readily available equipment.

If you know anything about firearms and guns, it should be plenty obvious how many gun laws one could break if they could CNC their own parts. And further why it is less of a double standard why the project needed unplugged.

If you knew anything about gun laws you'd already know that you CAN machine your own gun parts. You can legally manufacture you own firearms so long as they do not violate NFA restrictions. They also must have a 3 digit serial number and can not be transferred for the first year. Otherwise, if you felt like making 1000 guns a month to store in your house, you legally can.

Back