Build log of "Unobtainable" - X79 in a white Bitfenix Prodigy

In the beginning I thought about getting two HD 7970. But there is two reasons why I couldn't and wouldn't:
1) I wanted to get some waterblocks with Pexi, and EK are the only one with those. BUT for the HD 7970 they have made that new CSQ blocks which can't be used in single slot becaurse of that stupid FC link that need to be used. And I couldn't find places to buy the waterblock design.
2) HD 7950 is cheaper but performance is almost the same when both clocked around the same (both cards will be OC like hell!). And my need for GPU power isn't that big. I could go with a single HD 7950, but I got them cheap so why not :D

he will have 2x 7950s with waterblocks, the other one was OOS though. both slots will be filled. by "front" do you mean the front of the fan in back? if so then no, the fan has to be outside because the top radiator/fan are blocking him from putting a fan on the inside of the case on the rear 120mm radiator.

fruergaard, are you gonna cut the pci brackets or did you ifnd single slot brackets to order somewhere?

EK have some that fits:
http://www.aquatuning.de/product_info.php/info/p12988_EK-Water-Blocks-EK-VGA-I-O-bracket-HD7970.html
(en route, coming next week, but still missing the other HD 7950 :()

I think the fan is going to stay where it is. I don't like the other mods out there with the fan modded out in the front of the case.
Also I like the idea that it just fit in there making it look really nice and compact.
And about the Cable management, then I have plan for that.

Also let me know your opinion:
Should I use a EK Black back plate for the HD 7950 card: http://www.aquatuning.de/product_in...Water-Blocks-EK-FC7950-Backplate---Black.html

1) Yes, it would make it look much better!
2) No, the blue PCB will look nice along the blue theme for this build (Water and motherboard)!

Last edited:
So lets get going with some updates :)

First I got an other package from Aquatuning.de which mostly contains fittings:

But also got the Chipset and Mosfet block:

The Koolance Heat Transfer block to the Mosfet should hopefully arrive tomorrow or monday :D

In that package there also was the Back plate for the GPU and single slot I/O plate:

I believe the two GPU can fit in there:

If Im lucky the other HD 7950 could arrive next friday (cross fingers :thumb:)

There was also some smaller things like some UV light, dust filter, Anit kink (not sure if I will use it) and som anti vibration for the two HDD.

Also from Aquatuning.de I got a nice cup

And what not better then a clock running on just water :thumb:

HW installation and mods
First, last night I cut the hole to make the PSU and cables to fit better:

I like the result. Most of the non modular cables will get removed so except the CPU and 20 pin motherboard.
And then I will use the modular cables and shorten them to make it fit better and then of course sleeving them :thumb:

And then to the installation of the fittings and tupes.
BUT I realised that placing the two 120 mm fans on the out side will make the tuping and inside look a lot better, and it doesn't look that bad to have them out side:

Also installed the Heatmaster beside the PSU. Looking forward to test it :roll:

And here is some pictures of the installed fittings :

And then with tupes, which did take some time becaurse of the small space:

Lets see if there is one who can, out from the above pictures, tell how the loop is. Let's all start with the pump :)
Sleeving will propperly be done tomorrow

Hopefully the other HD 7950 is comming next friday and in the weekend I will make the two windows.
AND then this build should be done :)

im gonna say pump>ram>front rad>ram>chipset>cpu>mosfet>top rad>gpu>gpu>rear rad>reservoir>flow meter>pump. did i win? i gotta say it took A LOT of scrolling up and down to make any sense of that loop, especially the compression fitting that looks like its screwed into the 7950 backplate. :p

im gonna say pump>ram>front rad>ram>chipset>cpu>mosfet>top rad>gpu>gpu>rear rad>reservoir>flow meter>pump. did i win? i gotta say it took A LOT of scrolling up and down to make any sense of that loop, especially the compression fitting that looks like its screwed into the 7950 backplate. :p

Yeah you got it, nice going :D

I had to use a bit of angeled fittings to make it all work well :)

And looking forward to see how it looks with blue water and UV light.
And if the two GPU's can fit and if the water will run good enough in both of them :confused:

i'm surprised that you've enough space left to put the heatmaster next to PSU.

damn nice build lots of hardware in such a small space and it still looks neat and clean. impressive to say the least

i'm surprised that you've enough space left to put the heatmaster next to PSU.

Yea it's preatty sweet that it fits. Looking forward to boot it up and see how the Heatmaster functions

damn nice build lots of hardware in such a small space and it still looks neat and clean. impressive to say the least

Thanks very much.

But it will get a bit more chaos in the build when the cables get in there.
But I have/am shorting the cables and sleeved them to make it look good. And know how to make the cable management to make the "dissapear a bit" :D

So a little update on the project.
I have installed the two SSD beside the PSU since they could not be placed in the left side.
But they fitted just fine beside the PSU:

Also installed the two HDD with some anti vibration rubber.

And as you can see I have also sleeved and shorten most of cables.

Just need to sleeve the fan, temperatur and pump and then that's done :p

And in this weekend the two windows will be made.
And hopefully the last GPU arrives monday and then I will fill it up and boot it up :D

Hey,

Before you fill up your waterloop, could you please check if the EK backplate would fit the stockcooler? Or any non stock aircooler?

The backplate seems to be installed with 4+2 screws, 4 arround the socket going down towards the CPU cooler, so might need a little longer screws and 2 going towards the backplate, that might become a problem?

Reason I'm asking is because I'll have a setup like this:
http://hardforum.com/showthread.php?t=1712163
Topfan03.jpg

Topfan05.jpg

That way I wouldn't have to be afraid of the CPU cooler hitting the backplate, but it'll still be a tight fit (I'll probably just end up getting a slightly smaller CPU cooler anyway).

Currently build consists of:
Asus Max Gene V
8gb Venge low profile
Lian Li v600fx
Cors 750AX (overkill but 650ax wasn't in stock)
XFX 7950 DD (possible CF)

Hey,

Before you fill up your waterloop, could you please check if the EK backplate would fit the stockcooler? Or any non stock aircooler?

The backplate seems to be installed with 4+2 screws, 4 arround the socket going down towards the CPU cooler, so might need a little longer screws and 2 going towards the backplate, that might become a problem?

Reason I'm asking is because I'll have a setup like this:
http://hardforum.com/showthread.php?t=1712163
(Picture deleted)

That way I wouldn't have to be afraid of the CPU cooler hitting the backplate, but it'll still be a tight fit (I'll probably just end up getting a slightly smaller CPU cooler anyway).

Currently build consists of:
Asus Max Gene V
8gb Venge low profile
Lian Li v600fx
Cors 750AX (overkill but 650ax wasn't in stock)
XFX 7950 DD (possible CF)

Well, I dont believe there is room for it for two reasons.
First not enough room between CPU cooler and PCB.

Second, and most important, the back plate wont fits as long you got the other backplate on the card.

You can see the holes here, which isn't the four holes around the chip:
http://www.ekwb.com/shop/ek-fc7950-backplate-black.html

If you take the other backplate away and use some small screws and some more room between the PCB and CPU cooler you might be able to do it.

So a little update on the project.
I have installed the two SSD beside the PSU since they could not be placed in the left side.
But they fitted just fine beside the PSU:

did SSDs fit perfectly or you had little room left on top and bottom? i wonder, can't wait to see the results now, do let me know where you work, so if you don't finish it by this weekend i'll call your boss and get you one week or so off ;) just let me know i'm connected.:D

did SSDs fit perfectly or you had little room left on top and bottom? i wonder, can't wait to see the results now, do let me know where you work, so if you don't finish it by this weekend i'll call your boss and get you one week or so off ;) just let me know i'm connected.:D

There is a lot of room for the SSDs.
Could easly fit one more in there
They are even raised so that they can be seen from the soon modded window :D

Actually it's not time, but that the last GPU hasn't arrived yet (wasn't in stock), but it should come monday.

I then have to paint some stuff on the motherboard like those ugly red DDR3 DIMMs and perhaps the GPU back plate white :D
And some minor details, and then the build should be done.. if it will boot up ;-)

Well, I dont believe there is room for it for two reasons.
First not enough room between CPU cooler and PCB.

Second, and most important, the back plate wont fits as long you got the other backplate on the card.

You can see the holes here, which isn't the four holes around the chip:
http://www.ekwb.com/shop/ek-fc7950-backplate-black.html

If you take the other backplate away and use some small screws and some more room between the PCB and CPU cooler you might be able to do it.

I know! That isn't my card, it's just someone with a similar build.
The backplate should overlap the screws around the GPU.
And the screw provided with the backplate, going towards the waterblock could also fit the stock cooler right? So those 4 screws would 'sandwish' the GPU between the stock cooler (or another aircooler) and the backplate.
But there are also 2 screws going towards the backplate (at the end of the card), and I have no idea how that would work out with the stock cooler.

I know! That isn't my card, it's just someone with a similar build.
The backplate should overlap the screws around the GPU.
And the screw provided with the backplate, going towards the waterblock could also fit the stock cooler right? So those 4 screws would 'sandwish' the GPU between the stock cooler (or another aircooler) and the backplate.
But there are also 2 screws going towards the backplate (at the end of the card), and I have no idea how that would work out with the stock cooler.

No it would not fit just like that.
The four screws in the middel of the backplate is screwed into the waterblock. So you would need some nut's on the other side..
But then it should be possible with a stock cooler i believe
(I got the non referance Windforce from Gigabyte)

As promised an update first with some big pictures of the case with the new windows:

Also made a hole to get the cables from the three fans in to the case :):

And some more Cable sleeving now that the other GPU has been placed inside :D

And the two GPU fitted just perfect :thup:

Really love the EK block with Pexi and nikkel. Looking forward to fill it up and see it with UV light :D

Hope you like it.

The back plate will be painted white and the RAM dimms blue to make it fit the theme.

And then it should be ready to be booted :)

Absolutely spectacular! I can't wait to see the benchmarks that come out of this thing!:eek:

Wow, great looking build man, just a super awesome idea using the shuttle board in this case.

I do have a question about the board - is it good for overclocking/tweaking etc?

This is very epic, much like what I would like to do!! only with nvidia :)

Cant wait to see the numbers when you have it running and the pics with water/uv :D

I really like this build. Damn near the perfect Prodigy build.

I do have to say I'd be abit leary of those nickel plated EK blocks. If the plating goes to shit, you can be in a world of hurt REALLY fast.

http://www.realredraider.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=47617

I have in time got both Nickel and Copper blocks and actually the copper for me begins to look "bad" first. And really haven't had any problems with the Nickel.

It's also about what water you use.
I have had Milli Q water and some powerfull anti bacteria.

And if something is to happen, I will RMA them, which EKWB seems to be fine with :D

Wow, great looking build man, just a super awesome idea using the shuttle board in this case.

I do have a question about the board - is it good for overclocking/tweaking etc?

Thanks, About the OC and tweaking, i don't know yet, but there seems to be okay (not many) with power for the CPU, but the BIOS is old school :D

But is have much more power then I will need for a long time. Even without OC on CPU and GPUs :D

This is very epic, much like what I would like to do!! only with nvidia :)

Cant wait to see the numbers when you have it running and the pics with water/uv :D

If you do Nvidia you have to unsolder or cut of the top DVI port, which is possible (thought about getting two GTX 690, but really doesn't need it). And I got a fine price on these HD 7950, which have enough power for me in a long time (propperly, if Crysis 3 is really going to melt my PC :D).

So lets tease a little bit more:
Last night I booted the baby up and it all worked just fine (only in the bios).

So next step was to paint the motherboard and also the GPU back plate.
First of the GPU's and the now white painted back plate:
Now that's close for two GPU's :D

And with a bit more light:

And then to the motherboard.
Before:

And then three hours later :wackosmil:

So im just missing some UV LED and then this build should be done :D

Tomorrow I will fill it up and boot it again.

And friday the LED should arrive and then you will get some cool pictures :D

I have installed the last stuff, filled it up and is currently leak testing.
And I must say, it is pretty awesome with the blue water inside :D

But I like to tease a bit, so:

Tonight (12-10-2012) at 21:00 GTM 0
You will get pictures of the currently final build (updates to the HW may come later on :rolleyes:).
So hang tight, it will blow your mind :eek:

So as promised (little late, sorry (problem uploading pictures)) :D

So I filled it up, and did some leak testing and there was a small leak.
Luckly it was from a temperature plug that just need a bit of tighten :rolleyes:

But you really just want the pictures right :D

I will try to take som more "show" pictures tomorrow.

AND around the same time as today you will get pictures of the build with UV light!
Which makes it look even more awesome ;)

Last edited:
I am not normally a fan of prodigy but you pack in this much hardware in that size it is not to bad at al. Excellent build and you made it pretty even with that fugly board.

So here is the pictures of the build with UV light on.

It is pretty deficult to take really good a UV picture (looks better in real life), I will try some more settings, but if any of you got some please share :D

Maybe some more light around the build next time

I cant show the GPU side without the side, since that where the LED strip is placed:

But then it's good I got a window right ;)

Again it looks better in real life.
So if you got any setup/setting for the camara (Canon EOS 7D) please let me know :D

I have also just gotten windows installed on the Raid 0 with the SSD's.

I will do some bench and post result along temps. And of course with som OC :D

Got any bench program you like me to run?

nice finish, i like the fact that many of case makers are coming out with white cases than old fashioned baize and black.

how's the performance and how the heatmaster is working? and how's the temperature of everything?

Back