ASUS X99 Motherboard Series - Official Support Thread

Question for Raja@AsSUS - are there any plans to add video cards to the fan control scheme on X99 Deluxe or other models ?

My question comes from the fact that AiSuite actually reports both the fan speed and GPU temperature, but does not allow the GPU to be set as a "source" for fan speed. Also, it could be a good idea to implement this together with "combined sources"- for example the maximum temperature from multiple sensors.
fans.png

Install Intel XTU - see if it updates the MEI driver. Unsunstall AI Suite then install it again.

Raja,

Installed XTU,,,, uninstalled AI Suite, reinstalled AI Suite, and no more MEI warning!

Thank you!..

Now to play with some OC

Question for Raja@AsSUS - are there any plans to add video cards to the fan control scheme on X99 Deluxe or other models ?

My question comes from the fact that AiSuite actually reports both the fan speed and GPU temperature, but does not allow the GPU to be set as a "source" for fan speed. Also, it could be a good idea to implement this together with "combined sources"- for example the maximum temperature from multiple sensors.

No plans yet. Its very difficult to support all the GPUs - it would create a mess in some ways. Sorry.

You can use the thermal input to attach a probe to the GPU and have fans react to that.

Last edited:
Thanks for your quick response Raja!

I have the same issue on both the UEFI 0801 and 0902 bios. The USB hub is the SIIG USB 3.0 4 port hub (http://www.siig.com/usb-3-0-4-port-hub-1063.html). This device is QVL approved.

We just tried the HUB-USB3.0-SIIG-JU-H40512-S1 at HQ and it works perfectly (that's the QVL device). Can you confirm yours is that exact model? Looks like you have the S2.

Edit: We cannot find S2 directly in Taiwan, so will have to import it. Will take some time.

Last edited:
No plans yet. Its very difficult to support all the GPUs - it would create a mess in some ways. Sorry.

Sure, i get that. But i am talking about the cards for which AiSuite already reports all the informations from the GPU - clocks, voltage, temperature, fan speed - see the picture i posted.

Last edited:
Sure, i get that. But i am talking about the cards for which AiSuite already reports all the informations from the GPU - clocks, voltage, temperature, fan speed - see the picture i posted.

That's just it - there is a limit to how many there are and taking care of those is quite a task which is why this whole thing may not be taken any further. It's really tricky and susceptible to a mountain of bugs. The external temp probe option is a good workaround for this for now.

That's just it - there is a limit to how many there are and taking care of those is quite a task which is why this whole thing may not be taken any further. It's really tricky and susceptible to a mountain of bugs. The external temp probe option is a good workaround for this for now.

raja, sometimes, can you answer me? :D

X99 Deluxe has this graphic describing SLI setup:
x99-deluxe-sli.jpg

Question; will I get x16 in both slots running two way sli in slot 1 and slot 4? It seems better to have the extra space between the cards for air flow. CPU is 5960X. (just looked again, does this graphic skip the short slot, so that there is already a space using the above config?)

Last edited:
why care?
haven't you got a PSU able to powerup a M.2 socket?

I am trying to figure out if it would be possible to connect (via flat cable M.2 - PCIe x4) a PCIe x4 SSD card like the one here

http://hothardware.com/Reviews/Intel-SolidState-Drive-DC-P3700-Review/

in this way saving one regular PCIe slot. The PCIe SSD card shown there is much faster than M.2 SSD cards. Converter from
M.2 to PCIe x4 is shown here:

http://www.bplus.com.tw/ExtenderBoard/P4SM2.html

Last edited:
X99 Deluxe has this graphic describing SLI setup:
x99-deluxe-sli.jpg

Question; will I get x16 in both slots running two way sli in slot 1 and slot 4? It seems better to have the extra space between the cards for air flow. CPU is 5960X. (just looked again, does this graphic skip the short slot, so that there is already a space using the above config?)

PCIe 16_3 is the 4th slot down. The short slot (2nd slot), is PCIe4_1, hence it does not count as a PCIe16 slot in the naming list.

Raja, I had issues with that new bios, 902, that you posted for the Deluxe. System restarts, once at the desktop doing nothing, and a repeatable restart if I run hwinfo64 v4.44 and spectate a BF4 game. Happens right away or within a minute or so. On next boot, bios screen says 'power surge failure' or such, windows event log just says 'windows was shut down unexpectedly.' I downgraded to bios 801, and ran hwinfo + spectated a BF4 game for 15 minutes without issue and didn't have the issue when I ran 801 before. Doesn't happen if I actually play BF4, just spectate, without hwinfo running spectating BF4 works as well, it's just the combo. Probably happens under other circumstances but that's the repeatable one I found before I downgraded.

Raja, I had issues with that new bios, 902, that you posted for the Deluxe. System restarts, once at the desktop doing nothing, and a repeatable restart if I run hwinfo64 v4.44 and spectate a BF4 game. Happens right away or within a minute or so. On next boot, bios screen says 'power surge failure' or such, windows event log just says 'windows was shut down unexpectedly.' I downgraded to bios 801, and ran hwinfo + spectated a BF4 game for 15 minutes without issue and didn't have the issue when I ran 801 before. Doesn't happen if I actually play BF4, just spectate, without hwinfo running spectating BF4 works as well, it's just the combo. Probably happens under other circumstances but that's the repeatable one I found before I downgraded.

What are the settings being used?

A shutdown like that is either down to multiple polling tools running concurrently or a genuine power event where the PSU rail was out of spec. In your case it sounds like Hwinfo32 is causing a polling conflict. If thats all it is either remove the additional polling tools OR disable the anti-surge setting in UEFI. I would stay on 0902.

Last edited:
What are the settings being used?

A shutdown like that is either down to multiple polling tools running concurrently or a genuine power event where the PSU rail was out of spec. In your case it sounds like Hwinfo32 is causing a polling conflict. If thats all it is either remove the additional polling tools OR disable the anti-surge setting in UEFI. I would stay on 0902.

Settings are mostly default. CPU @ 3.6, Memory at 2133, no overvolting, and hwinfo and BF4 were the only things running (I run my system very barren, nothing in the system tray or background.) I thought about disabling the anti-surge support, I guess I'll try going back to 902 and doing that.

Hey everyone,

This is my first post here, yay! :) I'm highly interested in buying an X99-E WS motherboard, but its official ECC memory support specifications are a bit confusing, to say at least. Here's a quote from http://www.asus.com/Commercial_Servers_Workstations/X99E_WS/specifications/ :

8 x DIMM, Max. 128GB, DDR4 2133/1866 MHz ECC, Un-buffered, Register Memory

Hmm, what should that mean? As we know, "buffered" and "registered" have the same meaning when it comes to RAM, so how could a DIMM be both register(ed) and unbuffered at the same time? Ok, fully buffered DIMMs surely aren't supported, but is it that ECC requires registered or unregistered DIMMs?

Perhaps Raja@ASUS could shed come light. :) Any help would be appreciated!

I'd ask your local ASUS service center on that one - and check what's in the QVLs and take it from there. Thanks!

Unfortunately, if I asked our local Asus service centers about something like that, they would be looking at me as if I was asking about building colonies on Mars. :)

However, thank you for pointing me into the memory QVL -- last time I've checked it for X99-E WS there was no ECC memory listed, while now it's available (it was published four days ago): http://dlcdnet.asus.com/pub/ASUS/server/X99-E_WS/QVL/X99-E_WS_MEMORY_DDR4_ECC_RDIMM_QVL_140917.pdf .

Based on that and memory manufacturers data, X99-E WS requires registered ECC DIMMs.

Now, I cannot boot into bios. If I push delete just a few times, machine boots normally.
If I push the delete key numerous times, the machine appears to hang and I get error code CE, which of course is not in the book.

Any help?

Now, I cannot boot into bios. If I push delete just a few times, machine boots normally.
If I push the delete key numerous times, the machine appears to hang and I get error code CE, which of course is not in the book.

Any help?

CE means you should be in UEFI. Either the display device attached is not compatible with the output resolution or the plugged in USB devices are causing a hang. Basically for any help you're going to have to detail those two things at the very least.

Understood. I believe the source for the issue is that I am running 2 vid cards and for space and connection reasons, I hooked up the 2nd video card to the monitors.

Sounds like the system tries to start with PCIE slot 1, then moves to 3..but only after a certain point. So the pcie slot 3 dont get up and working till later...if that makes sense.

Will play with it.

Thanks

Disabling anti-surge looks like it fixed everything. But isn't anti-surge kind of important to have? Anyway, hope you guys can get a duplication and fix.

No real fix for this one as Anti-Surge needs the Super IO to work. With multiple tools polling that, it's going to create a situation where one of the tools generates a mis-read.

Anti-surge is okay, its nothing special. The polling isn't good enough to catch anything but the crude errors, so you are fine without it.

Based on that and memory manufacturers data, X99-E WS requires registered ECC DIMMs.

Requires or just _may_use??? I believe there are some people out there who made builds with standard DDR4 memory as the basic specs of the X99-E WS mobo state: 8 x DIMM, Max. 64GB, DDR4 3200(O.C.)/3000(O.C.)/2800(O.C.)/2666(O.C.)/2400(O.C.)/2133 MHz Non-ECC, Un-buffered Memory

My x99 deluxe does not come with a Two way SLI bridge.
As opposed to what everyone say, x99 deluxe does not have a two way SLI bridge.

Asus, do you need 5$ more?

A reviewer on newegg says that the G.SKILL Ripjaws 4 series 32GB (4 x 8GB) 288-Pin DDR4 SDRAM DDR4 2666 does not work with the factory ASUS X99 Deluxe BIOS: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...m_re=g.skill_ddr4_32gb-_-20-231-798-_-Product (which, incidentally, is not on the 2666 QVL list as he claims.)

This is incorrect, or at least, not the case for me. My ASUS X99 Deluxe with the factory BIOS 0409 booted just fine with the 32GB kit, both with 1 stick or all 4 sticks, both with and without the XMP profile enabled.

Last edited:
Requires or just _may_use??? I believe there are some people out there who made builds with standard DDR4 memory as the basic specs of the X99-E WS mobo state: 8 x DIMM, Max. 64GB, DDR4 3200(O.C.)/3000(O.C.)/2800(O.C.)/2666(O.C.)/2400(O.C.)/2133 MHz Non-ECC, Un-buffered Memory

Sorry, I wasn't precise enough, it is "may use" of course. It should've been written as this instead:

Based on memory QVL and associated data from memory manufacturers, in order to use ECC memory X99-E WS requires registered ECC DIMMs.

As a side note, official X99-E WS specifications on Asus' US web site mention no support for ECC memory, and Xeon E5 v3 CPUs aren't listed as supported. On the other side, Asus' global site lists ECC and Xeon suport for X99-E WS. A weird inconsistency in motherboard specs, if you agree.

Just updated my X99 Deluxe to 0904 and now my machine is incredibly unstable with the same overclock settings that were rock solid prior to the flash. Tried reflashing, but the results are the same. So far for me this update sucks.

Do you think it would be OK to downgrade to 0801?

UPDATE: Downgraded and yet the problem remains. Does the microcode update from 0904 stay in place post the downgrade? Starting to wonder if that isn't my problem.

UPDATE #2: Thank you Asus for totally jacking my machine up. Even at BIOS defaults on either 0801 or 0904 my machine crashes at load. Seriously pissed at the moment. :mad:

UPDATE #3: Running board at optimized defaults. Still randomly crashing under load. Prior to 0904 this NEVER happened. Machine is nearly useless. Feel like one of those iPhone 6 users that updated to the latest iOS and bricked their phone. This is BS. Going to find a new board (non-ASUS) today and if that fixes my problem this will be my last Asus product. Tired of the incompetence.

Last edited:
Just got myself a 5960x w/ rampage e. I mount a swiftech h220x on it, can't seem overclock pass 4.0ghz @ 1.21v

my rig has 64gb ram will that make things harder?

Just got myself a 5960x w/ rampage e. I mount a swiftech h220x on it, can't seem overclock pass 4.0ghz @ 1.21v

my rig has 64gb ram will that make things harder?

Off the topic, do you see any liquid coolant in the pump window on H220-x .I tried to look very hard and don't see any coolant at all .

It seems that my 5930K overclock like a crap, asus 5 way optimization does not go over 4.1GHz.
I hope that it is a bios problem.

My ASUS X99 Deluxe + 5820K fails linpack after a few hours, running at stock voltages (Adaptive) and speeds (3.3ghz both core and cache, Turbo Boost disabled). CPU strap is set to 100mhz, RAM is 32GB of G.Skill F4-2666C15Q-32GRR, running with the XMP profile at 2666mhz, 1.2V. Temperatures don't rise above 60C during the test.

What should I do?

Edit: BIOS is 0904

Last edited:
My ASUS X99 Deluxe + 5820K fails linpack after a few hours, running at stock voltages (Adaptive) and speeds (3.3ghz both core and cache, Turbo Boost disabled). CPU strap is set to 100mhz, RAM is 32GB of G.Skill F4-2666C15Q-32GRR, running with the XMP profile at 2666mhz, 1.2V. Temperatures don't rise above 60C during the test.

What should I do?

it seems that this board has a crappy stability in general.

Back