EVGA GTX980 SuperClocked vs Asus GTX980

sblantipodi

2[H]4U
Hi,
I need to buy two GTX980 today.

I need to decide if buy two EVGA GTX980 SuperClocked or two Asus GTX980.

Both cards has the reference design but they are clocked at
Core: 1.241 MHz
Boost Core: 1.342 MHz

What should I buy?
I have an Asus X99 motherboard, is Asus GPUs offering some additional features when combined with an Asus mobo?

yea keep dreaming......aside from the cool factor of matching brands but evga has best rma support...it not like asus makes a reference card anyway

yea keep dreaming......aside from the cool factor of matching brands but evga has best rma support...it not like asus makes a reference card anyway

but, is EVGA SuperClocked safe?
I don't want to have overclock instability on GPUs.

Buy 2 EVGA vanilla models and overclock them yourself.

Occasionally, the very overclocked models don't hold up.

EVGA has better warranty support regardless.

Of course. Why wouldn't it be?

Sometimes pre-overclocked card demonstrated to be not very stable due to overclock.

Buy 2 EVGA vanilla models and overclock them yourself.

Occasionally, the very overclocked models don't hold up.

EVGA has better warranty support regardless.

the problem is that my shop has only the super clocked version,
I don't even see the "vanilla" one on EVGA site.

Is EVGA SuperClocked a safe bet in terms of stability?
Please help.

Yes, of course it is. They wouldn't release it if it was going to be unstable. Also, it's higher clocks are still lower than the OC results being achieved in every review I've read. You'll be fine.

EVGA is pretty good with picking their cards for their SC line, of course FTW and Classified might have slightly more priority. I had a 770 4GB SC do [email protected]/94%Asic without touching a setting, it just boosted to that lol and it was pretty stable.

EVGA is really good with their warranty and pretty sure the SC version will be safe and stable. In the past I've tested evga 770SC, 780, 780 classy and they've all been good with their clocks/stock settings.

No you won't really gain any additional features if you pair up same brand motherboard/gpu.

The interesting question is not whether the SC will be stable with the factory overclock (it will), but whether the chips in the SCs are binned and will overclock better for you when you push them. Anyone have any insight?

EVGA is pretty good with picking their cards for their SC line, of course FTW and Classified might have slightly more priority. I had a 770 4GB SC do [email protected]/94%Asic without touching a setting, it just boosted to that lol and it was pretty stable.

EVGA is really good with their warranty and pretty sure the SC version will be safe and stable. In the past I've tested evga 770SC, 780, 780 classy and they've all been good with their clocks/stock settings.

No you won't really gain any additional features if you pair up same brand motherboard/gpu.

do you know if the GTX980 SC is overvolted?

do you know if the GTX980 SC is overvolted?

the difference between SC and plain is only $20 dude. WIth Precision X you could undervolt if you wanted to (not sure why the hell anyone would do that, evga cards are always stable)

The interesting question is not whether the SC will be stable with the factory overclock (it will), but whether the chips in the SCs are binned and will overclock better for you when you push them. Anyone have any insight?

At the SC level, likely not. Typically, it's only the really highly clocked versions from each manufacturer (EVGA Classified, Sapphire Toxic, ASUS ROG series, MSI Lightning, etc.) that seem to get the binned chips. Most of the time, given the same cooler, voltage, etc., you can hit the same clock levels regardless of the factory overclock.

I'm not interested in price, I'm interested in stability and reliability over time.
Unfortunantly, my shop availability consist of SuperClocked only

I wouldn't worry about it too much, majority of the time its factory overclocked but at a good bump without them touching the voltage and keeping it at stock. Based on reviews (since I don't have this card) most have been able to hit 1300+ without needing to touch the voltage and 1400+ w/ +0.87mV, of course YMMV since these are review cards and who knows what is in them (binned and what not) :p but overall you shouldn't worry about the SC cards especially from EVGA. They're as close partners as you can get with nVidia.

On a side note, with EVGA you can get additional warranty if you're worried about reliability as well as advanced RMA for additional costs but you can get more years as well as they ship to you first type RMA if you ever need. ASUS RMA? lol good luck.

To lighten your concern:

Part Number: 04G-P4-2980-KR
1126MHz Base Clock
1216MHz Boost Clock
Stock Cooler

Part Number: 04G-P4-2982-KR (SC)
1241MHz Base Clock
1342MHz Boost Clock
Stock Cooler

Part Number: 04G-P4-2983-KR (SC)
1266MHz Base Clock
1367MHz Boost Clock
ACX 2.0 Cooler

More than likely they are all the same reference 980. FTW and Classy gets the custom PCB.
So you see how much they up the clocks on different coolers. And more than likely still at stock voltages.

I wouldn't worry about it too much, majority of the time its factory overclocked but at a good bump without them touching the voltage and keeping it at stock. Based on reviews (since I don't have this card) most have been able to hit 1300+ without needing to touch the voltage and 1400+ w/ +0.87mV, of course YMMV since these are review cards and who knows what is in them (binned and what not) :p but overall you shouldn't worry about the SC cards especially from EVGA. They're as close partners as you can get with nVidia.

On a side note, with EVGA you can get additional warranty if you're worried about reliability as well as advanced RMA for additional costs but you can get more years as well as they ship to you first type RMA if you ever need. ASUS RMA? lol good luck.

bought two EVGA GTX980 SuperClocked, I'm really impatient to assemble the new rig with those cards and the i7 5930.

The current ACX models being sold on Newegg/Amazon are using ACX 1.0 which is the old design. You can see what 2.0 looks like on EVGA's website.
I guess they didn't have the new models ready in time for release, so they shipped with the old one.

Last edited:
Back