Anyone make the switch from 5800X3D to 7800X3D?

Move from 5800X3D to 7800X3D?

• Total voters
I got a buyer for my rig for 380 bucks so spending about 650 for the upgrade plus extra SSD seems fine I guess.

Motherboard is already sufficient. I don’t need other features.
As for ram, there is no point getting high frequency ram as has been shown for AMD.
For the RAM, I meant doubling the capacity, not the bandwidth. With regards to the MB, The X670E Tomahawk just seems a little B650E-ish to me in featureset.

It just seemed like you really didn't need the NVME much at all (from the way you worded it), so I thought maybe you would benefit from jumping to a more featured MB or 64 GB of RAM (2x32 as opposed to 2x16).

Only you know what you need best, though. I wish you luck with all of it.

Let's see if the buyer shows up today. If not, I will cancel everything and wait for Intel. If they do, then my order is already placed.
Either way, not in a rush to get this setup yet. Also, the hassle of building a new computer is off putting these days given I have tons of work at the office to do.

Last edited:
I think you'll notice the difference more than you think in everyday stuff. I certainly noticed the boost clocks getting everything done a bit faster than 5800 did and the real bonus is higher fps min and max at least for the sims/games I run in DX11 and 12. The socket may see substantial upgrades as well but that's another topic at this point.

Because sometimes the cost just isn't worth it? Would you spend $2000 to upgrade from a 4090 to a 4090 Ti in order to gain 5%? From a 5800X3D it doesn't seem super worth it to upgrade to a 7800X3D, but anyone who's not on that CPU or a 12900K would find it very worthwhile if they own a 4090.
Fair enough. If you don't mind the hassle of swapping into the new parts though the cost becomes less of an issue.

Sold for 410 - board, proc and ram. Now the wait for 7800X3D.
that 32gb c14 kit included?
wow that's quite low price combined but you get a better platform and will be better prepared once next gens release.

that 32gb c14 kit included?
wow that's quite low price combined but you get a better platform and will be better prepared once next gens release.
I gave the C16 kit I had. Will sell C14 separately.

But yes, AMD normally fetches low price in my country. But then again the board and ram were from Nov 2020 (almost 3 years). 5800X3D was a swap with 5900X for like 20 bucks for me. Not bad.

Amazon was going to take their sweet time with shipping the board by 20th. Cancelled the order and placed an order with the egg plus replaced Corsair drive with SN850X. Newegg comes in 5-7 days but I don’t get Starfield with it.

The deal is for US customers only. It doesn’t have deal for international customers. Same for Amazon as well but I can order from US Amazon to get Starfield. However, given in one full day my order didn’t even move from placed to processing, I cancelled it. Will cost me 10 bucks extra and no Starfield but at least it is in packaging already at Newegg. Plus I get the SSD that I wanted.

I think the more time passes, the more the 7800X3D is gonna start to stretch it's legs against the 5800X3D. Starfield is over a 30% gain.

1693933812743.png

As with all faster processors.

Thankfully, 4K gaming still sees minimal gains.

That hasn't been quite the case in 2023 unfortunately. Mostly due to just really bad optimization from games like Callisto Protocol, Hogwarts Legacy, Jedi Survivor, Starfield, etc.

I think the more time passes, the more the 7800X3D is gonna start to stretch it's legs against the 5800X3D. Starfield is over a 30% gain.

View attachment 596347
Yea but Intel has a huge lead in this game with 13th gen. 13900k is well over 20% faster than 7800 X3D. The cache is nice but sometimes you need more cores/frequency too.

Very sad that the 7950 X3D handles this game so badly though, I don't know if it's because of data crossing the 2 CCDs or because it uses the X3D CCD instead of the faster one as it should, someone should test that since reviewers clearly overlooked that part.

It should at least be a hair faster than the slower clocked 7800.

Mofos DHL still didn't pick up the package. Wtf. Why is shipping so bad in America? :mad:

Yea but Intel has a huge lead in this game with 13th gen. 13900k is well over 20% faster than 7800 X3D. The cache is nice but sometimes you need more cores/frequency too.

Very sad that the 7950 X3D handles this game so badly though, I don't know if it's because of data crossing the 2 CCDs or because it uses the X3D CCD instead of the faster one as it should, someone should test that since reviewers clearly overlooked that part.

I wasn't even talking about the 13900k but sure I guess?

The game just may not like the architecture, some games favor the x3d parts and some just don't respond to it. Usually it's not a huge deal and it may recieve a patch down the line that corrects this issue. Cpu's can be a touch complicated these days.

That hasn't been quite the case in 2023 unfortunately. Mostly due to just really bad optimization from games like Callisto Protocol, Hogwarts Legacy, Jedi Survivor, Starfield, etc.
Callisto protocol was utter crap on release - I've not played much after the first two patches (the area transition FPS drops/hitches were there even after those first two patches and it drove me nuts).

Hogwarts legacy played like a dream - no issues.

Jedi Survivor played well enough, but there were a few areas where it really helped to have Gsync. The new DLSS3 patch that came out yesterday will hopefully make it much better in those few spots, but I've yet to try it.

Starfield plays amazing at 4K Ultra settings. I even prefer to turn off FSR (and DLSS 3.5 with that mod, I don't have the frame gen version) because it looks better and still feels great while playing.

As with all things, your milage may vary. I've done a bit of tuning on my 128GB of C16 RAM, so thay may help a bit.

Callisto protocol was utter crap on release - I've not played much after the first two patches (the area transition FPS drops/hitches were there even after those first two patches and it drove me nuts).

Hogwarts legacy played like a dream - no issues.

Jedi Survivor played well enough, but there were a few areas where it really helped to have Gsync. The new DLSS3 patch that came out yesterday will hopefully make it much better in those few spots, but I've yet to try it.

Starfield plays amazing at 4K Ultra settings. I even prefer to turn off FSR (and DLSS 3.5 with that mod, I don't have the frame gen version) because it looks better and still feels great while playing.

As with all things, your milage may vary. I've done a bit of tuning on my 128GB of C16 RAM, so thay may help a bit.

Sure it played fine but that wasn't even my point. My original point was that many games lately are actually seeing differences between the 5800X3D and 7800X3D even at 4K where people assume that there would be no difference at all.

1694019821585.png

Is 82 fps fine? Of course it is, not saying that it isn't. I'm just saying that recent games are somehow getting CPU limited even at 4K resolution due to bad optimization in certain areas like Hogsmead and Akila in Starfield. And I expect subpar optimization moving forward.

Sure it played fine but that wasn't even my point. My original point was that many games lately are actually seeing differences between the 5800X3D and 7800X3D even at 4K where people assume that there would be no difference at all.

View attachment 596604

Is 82 fps fine? Of course it is, not saying that it isn't. I'm just saying that recent games are somehow getting CPU limited even at 4K resolution due to bad optimization in certain areas like Hogsmead and Akila in Starfield. And I expect subpar optimization moving forward.
Yes, I view >45 FPS as smooth in non-twitchy games. Gsync is the best thing since SSDs for gaming :) DLSS 3 frame gen and DLSS2/3/3.5 upscaling is pretty nice, too.

Granted, some folks consider less than 120FPS unplayable. Not me! I grew up playing Doom and Doom 2 at something like 15 or 20 FPS. EDIT: Though I'll likely get the 8950X3D when it comes out (next year?). I can't justify 1200+ to upgrade to a 7800X3D (a motherboard with 10 gig ethernet being the sticking point) when the difference isn't that big enough at 4K most of the time.

Last edited:

To be honest, we don't even know why that is. Here's a review from a while back showcasing 7800X3D vs various Intel CPUs, and you can see it the 7800X3D beating even the 13900k:

View: https://youtu.be/78lp1TGFvKc?t=466
This is in Hogwarts Legacy, which was known for having CPU bottlenecks as well, and is a very taxing for most current gen parts.

Also it's not really "well over 20%" faster in Starfield, it's exactly 20% faster. The similarly priced part, the 13700k is <=%10 faster. I think the issue isn't with the 7800X3D. It's still performing well within expected performance boundaries for its price point... above it to be honest. The issue is why the heck are the 7950X3D and 7950X sucking so bad? The answer is I guess because AMD didn't design them properly.

View: https://youtu.be/8O68GmaY7qw?t=225
Like you can literally build a 7800X3D system for a total of <=$480 for the motherboard and CPU, or less with a sale or two, because it's so low wattage (90 watts max TDP) that basically any AM5 board can handle it; even the A620 can handle a 7800X3D with no issues. The CPU cooler can also be basically any CPU cooler. The 13700k and especially 13900k actually (afaik) need VRMs from more expensive motherboards and the cooling solutions to go with that. So they're not really in the same price bracket. The 13700k is, for just the CPU, at least, but the 13900k is not. The 13600F might be in the same price bracket, but is basically not any better than the 7800X3D; they perform almost exactly the same.

At the end of the day, the 13900K definitely does beat anything AMD can throw out for Starfield, for sure, though. I wonder if it will have any patches down the line to play better with AMD CPUs, considering AMD can't be all too happy about their entire line getting utterly trounced (with basically only the 7800X3D putting up a good fight) in a game that only supports their FSR implementation and is such a big hit. I don't really see it becoming a trend, though, either way. Most other games, including newer titles do see an uplift going to the 7800X3D. Even if it does become a trend, hopefully the next 8800X3D will have it ironed out anyway. Again, I'm sure they'll keep trading blows throughout the AM5 lifetime. Starfield just happened to be one of the titles that Intel won at.

I am having withdrawals. It’s already Thursday. Placed an order on Sunday. Still not picked up. Wtf Newegg.

As for fps in Starfield. It isn’t my priority game. If other games also suffer these issues I will just buy the 14900 Intel that might be coming out soon. But until then, I think 7800X3D is good enough for a 600$ upgrade/side grade whatever.

I am having withdrawals. It’s already Thursday. Placed an order on Sunday. Still not picked up. Wtf Newegg.

As for fps in Starfield. It isn’t my priority game. If other games also suffer these issues I will just buy the 14900 Intel that might be coming out soon. But until then, I think 7800X3D is good enough for a 600$ upgrade/side grade whatever.

Get a 14900K just like that huh? In that case I'm wondering why upgrading to a 7800X3D was even a question for you in the first place since it seems like you have the money to blow.

Last edited:

Why didn't you choose ups or usps instead of dhl?

Next time pay for next day air if you can't wait.

Why didn't you choose ups or usps instead of dhl?
I didn’t have a choice. DHL is default for international shipments by newegg.

Didn’t choose next day air because I ordered before my PC got sold and it’s a bitch to cancel on Newegg if your package is marked packaging and you are already a day late.

I didn’t have a choice. DHL is default for international shipments by newegg.

Didn’t choose next day air because I ordered before my PC got sold and it’s a bitch to cancel on Newegg if your package is marked packaging and you are already a day late.
Oh ok, didn't realize you weren't in the US. I haven't seen an DHL van running around here in a good while lol.

Only issue is that if you're already on a 5800X3D, or still on AM4 generally at this point, it seems to make more sense just to wait a year for the next AM5 parts to come out. It's a nice upgrade for sure, but I don't see the point given how solid the 5800X3D still is.

Not to mention those still on AM4 can get a 5800X3D now for under $300 new which is a monster deal.

Only issue is that if you're already on a 5800X3D, or still on AM4 generally at this point, it seems to make more sense just to wait a year for the next AM5 parts to come out. It's a nice upgrade for sure, but I don't see the point given how solid the 5800X3D still is.

Not to mention those still on AM4 can get a 5800X3D now for under $300 new which is a monster deal.

True. If you upgrade now then you may not get too much benefit going to a 7800X3D, and if you wait a year or so when it really starts to stretch it's legs then you can could've just upgraded to Zen 5 by then. I would say that upgrading from anything below a 5800X3D is totally worth it though. I came from a 5800X and the difference is night and day in terms of frametime smoothness, any stutters the 5800X had is nearly or completely gone on the 7800X3D.

Hopefully I get this today. It’s been a long wait. Also hopefully nothing is broken, damaged or DOA.

I switched when the 7800X3D launched because I had the money and saw the uplift, even at 4K which I play at on my LG C1. Starfield is something else and g-sync makes it very smooth. I'm also glad to be on another platform that will upgrade-able for the next few years

It depends on what you play. In some games that are out right now, especially at sub-4k resolutions, going from the 5800X3D to the 7800X3D is almost like jumping a card generation.

If you're already on a 5800X3D, it's still kind of debatable. But let's look at any other AM4 CPU situation with two decision scenarios:

AM4 (non X3D)->5800X3D
- Purchase 5800X3D for about $320 while keeping the platform (well current Pcpartpicker price anyway). That leaves more money in your pocket for now. But you're planning to upgrade to an 8800X3D when it releases. You enjoy a gaming uplift.
- 8800X3D releases. You need to buy an AM5 motherboard and DDR5 RAM anyway (and RAM prices might rise by then, due to <insert disaster here>).

AM4->7800X3D
- Purchase 7800X3D for ~$360-380, depending on sales. Purchase the rest of the AM5 platform, including DDR5 at current DDR5 prices. Enjoy a larger gaming uplift (and maybe even compute uplift).
- Decide to purchase 8800X3D when it releases.

I think you can see where I'm going with this. You get to enjoy the better CPU now for $40-60 extra, while also preparing yourself for the rest of AM5. Even if you decide to upgrade to 8800X3D from 7800X3D at the end of the day it's not much of a price difference between the alternative option, and you get a better gaming experience now. I guess the only gamble factor is AM5 is still kind of new and boards are expensive and sometimes buggy (although the CPU explosions seem to have mostly tapered off). This is why I just went for 7800X3D from my 5950X. 5800X3D feels pointless to me if I want to invest in the AM5 platform in the future anyway. Well, again, I wouldn't have done this if I didn't get my Carbon board for $200, though...

It seems I also got great prices because all prices have gone up since then.

7800X3D up from 385 to 400
Tomahawk out of stock. Next board is Steel Legend or ASUS Strix A for about 350
Ram is same price maybe 5$ change
SN850X up by about 15-30 bucks

Not bad timing I guess for me. Now only if the damn thing arrives.

Last edited:
Upgrade when one is constrain. No hurry yet to upgrade from 5800 X3D. Reality is that computer probably has 3 more years left. Still late next year or early 2025, Arrowlake or Ryzen 5 if not a HDET system I will most likely build, that is if I am still around.

Upgrade when one is constrain. No hurry yet to upgrade from 5800 X3D. Reality is that computer probably has 3 more years left. Still late next year or early 2025, Arrowlake or Ryzen 5 if not a HDET system I will most likely build, that is if I am still around.

Some people just like to have the best of every gen :)

I'm sitting here on a 5950x wondering something similar, if its worth going to a 7950x
Maybe newest intel gen? (14th gen?) whenever thats revealed

Back