Annual Folding@Home bigadv EOL 5th Anniversary Challenge

:LOL: :LOL: :LOL:

Love it! Love you guys! My 4070 is out, it's not stable on a laptop. For obvious reasons.
I travel a lot for work and people ask my why I built my travel rig instead of just getting a laptop... No thermal issues with this bad girl.

20240121_173555.jpg
Except it's heavy, most hotel TVs suck, and I can't take it when I fly so I end up just taking my Switch...

I travel a lot for work and people ask my why I built my travel rig instead of just getting a laptop... No thermal issues with this bad girl.

View attachment 630928
Except it's heavy, most hotel TVs suck, and I can't take it when I fly so I end up just taking my Switch...
All of my travel is from coast to coast, so flying. The laptop is amazing, just isn't quite the DCing monster my desktops used to be.

Flux flies with that too.
Lol no I don't. All the times you see me in discord posted up with that thang are times where I drive places.

When I fly I just have the Nintendo switch to game on. If my work laptop wasn't so weak I'd put a couple games on it. It's an LG Gram which is mostly focused on being lightweight.

Lol no I don't. All the times you see me in discord posted up with that thang are times where I drive places.

When I fly I just have the Nintendo switch to game on. If my work laptop wasn't so weak I'd put a couple games on it. It's an LG Gram which is mostly focused on being lightweight.
I used to be too busy to game, but I could watch a show here and there, so I would bring my rpi.

I used to be too busy to game, but I could watch a show here and there, so I would bring my rpi.
The types of clients I work with aren't exactly the working late types. When everyone dips out by 5pm that leaves a lot of downtime. If it were up to me I'd work late and go home early.

In more folding related news, it's 38f outside and 78f in the office with two windows cracked open. Heating the whole 2nd floor with GPUs lol

Ah ok, I don't know why I thought you flew with it. :ROFLMAO:

The types of clients I work with aren't exactly the working late types. When everyone dips out by 5pm that leaves a lot of downtime. If it were up to me I'd work late and go home early.

In more folding related news, it's 38f outside and 78f in the office with two windows cracked open. Heating the whole 2nd floor with GPUs lol
When I was mining ETH, I set up my GPUs around my Bradford White Aerotherm heat pump water heater to scavenge the heat so heat pump could heat my water!IMG_2214.jpeg

TSA was already about to probe me when I took the air cooled sff build for my sister in a carry on... I'm sure they'd go ballistic over a liquid cooled rig.
You should coolly turn to the TSA agent and say: "If you probe me, I return in kind. You should see what I can do with just my little finger."

[H]ordes, last year in 2023 4th BigAdv EOL challenge, our team contributed 3,485,952,001 points in this 7-day challenge. Right now with less than 1 day left, we are at 2,965,646,958 points, a deficit of 520,305,043 points. Can we surpass last year target?

Our team monthly record output of 10,040,994,232 was achieved in Jan 2022 during the 3rd BigAdv EOL challenge. Right now we are sitting at 8,622,145,188.

Don't take the foot off the gas yet. You see, it remains exciting till the final whistle....

Last edited:
So, I got my new GPU folding and I never noticed this before but the client says that its performing like 30% less than similar cards. Is this normal when it hasn't ran through many WUs?

So, I got my new GPU folding and I never noticed this before but the client says that its performing like 30% less than similar cards. Is this normal when it hasn't ran through many WUs?
There is one or two batches of WUs that pay really poorly right now. I’ve seen 11m WUs on my ti super.

Give it some time. Make sure you have it set to fold on "full" and nothing is interfering with it running. Its not underclocked or limited in some way via software? Like sleep mode.

There are a lot of work units out there with very different PPD numbers on the same hardware. My production is way down from a year ago because of this. A year ago my 6750xt was getting work units putting out 3.3 million PPD. I haven't seen more than a couple of those in the past few months and basically the best I can get is 2.5 million PPD and at least half the time the work units are only doing 1.7-2.0 million PPD. Same thing has happened with my 1050Ti and RX570 with the RX570 not getting hit as hard.

If things were like they were a year ago I'd be putting out at minimum 1 million PPD more than I currently am and likely closer to 1.5 million. If I wasn't using folding for some extra heat I'd probably be shutting them down.

[H]ordes, the race has just ended. Our team contributed 3,465,878,807 points just 20M shy of last year 2023 race of 3,485,952,001 points.

Our team monthly record output of 10,040,994,232 was achieved in Jan 2022 during the 3rd BigAdv EOL challenge. With less than 15 hours till the end of Jan month based on EOC stat, we are currently sitting at 9,185,856,318 points. Though we won't be able to surpass our 10B record that we achieved in Jan 2022, we are quite close to it.

Thanks to all the [H]ordes participating in this year grueling 7-day challenge and we hope to see you all again next year.

Edit. We finished the Jan 2024 with 9,430,090,381 points. That's our second highest monthly score ever!

Last edited:
Nice!

Anyone else want to share what they've accomplished in the last week?
Not myself but all of us combined. We really did some work for the F@H program. 28,777,419,685 points. Maybe we should have kept track of WU's too but a lot of work was done and... I mean... How cool is that. Thank you for inviting us to join in. I feel safe to say that we (T32) had a blast.

As we finished in 2nd, I don't have to eat too many of my words but TAAT schooled us all.

Not myself but all of us combined. We really did some work for the F@H program. 28,777,419,685 points. Maybe we should have kept track of WU's too but a lot of work was done and... I mean... How cool is that. Thank you for inviting us to join in. I feel safe to say that we (T32) had a blast.

As we finished in 2nd, I don't have to eat too many of my words but TAAT schooled us all.
Sweet, sweet music to my ears! :D

Next year I'm going to begin the recruitment earlier and buy more hardware to try to pump those numbers even higher, as now there is a target to beat. Might be a good idea to keep some discussion going about software to track the race and see what we can make better / more fun before the next one.

Thanks for joining in on this stroll down memory lane to celebrate when PPD exploded with -bigadv!

[H]ordes, the race has just ended. Our team contributed 3,465,878,807 points just 20M shy of last year 2023 race of 3,485,952,001 points.

Our team monthly record output of 10,040,994,232 was achieved in Jan 2022 during the 3rd BigAdv EOL challenge. With less than 15 hours till the end of Jan month based on EOC stat, we are currently sitting at 9,185,856,318 points. Though we won't be able to surpass our 10B record that we achieved in Jan 2022, we are quite close to it.

Thanks to all the [H]ordes participating in this year grueling 7-day challenge and we hope to see you all again next year.

View: https://youtu.be/V83JR2IoI8k

For the record, we finished the Jan 2024 with 9,430,090,381 points. That's our second highest monthly score ever!

I would expect we surpass 10B again (easily) next year :whistle:

For the record, we finished the Jan 2024 with 9,430,090,381 points. That's our second highest monthly score ever!

I would expect we surpass 10B again (easily) next year :whistle:
The 110 million extra I produced a couple of years ago with mining GPUs definitely helped with that record as well as the one or two people renting GPUs for that week! Maybe this year I can afford a higher end GPU for next time.

Hey. I don't recall if I thanked you all for hosting this fabulous race. We had a great time even though we didn't win. I only have to eat some of my words which is fine because I was only a little hungry.

Congratulations to the winners and all teams seemed to have had great output compared to their normal amount so congratulations to you all.

Back