AMD Now 61.9% of Discreet Mobile Graphics Market

HardOCP News

[H] News
According to the latest PC Graphics Market Share Update from Mercury Research, AMD now owns almost 62% of the discreet mobile graphics market.

AMD continues to make inroads in the notebook discrete market, capturing an additional 5.6 share points and hitting 61.9% share in notebook discrete graphics. Outpacing its competitor yet again in this key market, the result demonstrates the strength of AMD's DirectX 11-capable notebook discrete product stack, the company noted.

My big complaint though is even the amd gaming laptops seem to mostly be 5650 level gpus. I havent seen HD5870 laptops. Must be pretty expensive.

Well the 5650 is highly efficient and has decent power for a notebook GPU. In my experience, it tends to be default current generation mid-power mobile card.

Cant touch AMD and i think they said this time there not waiting or sitting around waiting on others anymore for competition..AMD or Nothing....:D

Intel dominates cpus
Amd Graphic Market

what about nvidia they are getting left behind.

I guess this is how thing will continue to be.

Curious. I was under the impression that NVIDIA had the upper hand in the mobile sector.

They do, its not even a competition there, notice the word discrete in the thread title..

My big complaint though is even the amd gaming laptops seem to mostly be 5650 level gpus. I havent seen HD5870 laptops. Must be pretty expensive.

Yeah, I've seen that too yet I have found a few laptops with nVidia mobile 460 GPU.

i have. friend of mine has one.. with an i7 processor. 1500 dollar laptop.. pretty nice.. the HD5870m is about on par with a HD5770 desktop card. it runs MWLL(crysis mod) completely maxed out on at 1920x1080..

this is the laptop she has but its more expensive then what she payed.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16834220808

That would be one of the many RoG 17" flavors, have to shop around for them, Amazon has different ones than Newegg etc.

Last month Nvidia had announced their new line of Mobile GT and GTX gpus, I hope they do push more to the market.

The more competitive choices we have, the better product/price we get. Look at current notebook line-ups, the mainstream mid-range still use 5470 512MB... and they are close to $1000 notebooks.

Sorry to grammar nazi out, but I see this all the time on [H]... For the love of god, it's "discrete," when referring to something that is distinct.

dis·creet/disˈkrēt/Adjective
1. Careful and circumspect in one's speech or actions, esp. to avoid causing offense or to gain an advantage.
2. Intentionally unobtrusive.

Hopefully that number goes up with the release of AMD's APU's.

I could of swore Nvidia was the mobile graphics leader actually, very good to see AMD dominating in a market.

That's because a laptop with an HD5870 isn't so much a laptop as it is a luggable desktop.

That's because a laptop with an HD5870 isn't so much a laptop as it is a luggable desktop.

Indeed, not unlike the easy-to-carry laptops sporting a GTX480 and the 18 fans required to keep one of those cooled in a laptop-sized case.

I think people learned from the dieing 6150's nvidia to use AMD video cards. even the newer ones are having issues.

Sorry to grammar nazi out, but I see this all the time on [H]... For the love of god, it's "discrete," when referring to something that is distinct.

dis·creet/disˈkrēt/Adjective
1. Careful and circumspect in one's speech or actions, esp. to avoid causing offense or to gain an advantage.
2. Intentionally unobtrusive.

Don't get me started. It's not worth it. Everyone around here (the south) insists on calling an engine a motor. FFS a motor is powered externally!:p

Last month Nvidia had announced their new line of Mobile GT and GTX gpus, I hope they do push more to the market.

The more competitive choices we have, the better product/price we get. Look at current notebook line-ups, the mainstream mid-range still use 5470 512MB... and they are close to $1000 notebooks.

but there in lies the true problem with the mobile market. even though nvidia would bring competition to the market laptop manufactures will then offset that drop in price by putting in a more expensive processor. take a look at all the laptops running 5850/70m's. they are all running high end i7m's. do you really need a 1.73ghz i7m to run a HD5870m? no you could get away with a i5 or hell even an i3. but of course you wouldn't see them put a 5870m in one of those because the profit margin isnt high enough. they cant charge you an arm and leg for a system like that. its all about nickle and dimming the customer. been like this for years and will continue to be like this for a long time.

Meanwhile, Intel owns something like 75% of total laptop/netbook graphics market I bet.
Yeah, probably that or more. Which is unfortunate. Nvidia and AMD make graphics components that are better than Intel's in every way. I would venture to guess that even the Nvidia parts have better performance-per-watt than Intel's.

AMD and Nvidia could really do a lot of damage producing low-voltage, low power, low-cost parts. And that's exactly where the Fusion APU seems to be going (and that has impressive performance for being under 18W

The shame is that nvidia cant make APU...
they have sortof, tegra, but the x86 apu market is amd's for us nerds.
But intel will put up a fight, their new I3's is a leap forward when it comes to intel, but amd's will be like a moonlanding.

Now if we could just get rid of all the damn physX integrated titles...

if only ati took that on then it would not be for pure cosmetics, id like to see it being used for gameplay in terms of water but no that cant happen now, just cloth in the wind :p

I dont understand why anyone likes seeing AMD or anyone dominating a particular market segment.

I prefer both nVidia and AMD on level playing field so we'll actually have a choice

I dont understand why anyone likes seeing AMD or anyone dominating a particular market segment.

I prefer both nVidia and AMD on level playing field so we'll actually have a choice

While I don't want nVidia to go belly up, I am glad AMD is doing very well in the graphics market since it's getting crushed in the CPU market.

Curious. I was under the impression that NVIDIA had the upper hand in the mobile sector.

I've always thought Intel's GMA were. But then my views are skewed by the fact that I service about 70-80 company laptops, every one of them with Intel GMA except two of our CAD laptops (HP Pavilion dv7t) which runs on Mobility Radeon HD 5650 1GB (switchable to Intel GMA, thanks to it's Core i5 CPU).

I've always thought Intel's GMA were. But then my views are skewed by the fact that I service about 70-80 company laptops, every one of them with Intel GMA except two of our CAD laptops (HP Pavilion dv7t) which runs on Mobility Radeon HD 5650 1GB (switchable to Intel GMA, thanks to it's Core i5 CPU).

Hold the thought - I missed the word discreet.

Now if we could just get rid of all the damn physX integrated titles...

I know nVidia "patched" it a while back, but is there still a way to run AMD cards with an nVidia card for PhysX? Or do you still have to use the old pre-patched drivers? If you can still run both of them by hacking up the drivers, then I would keep one of my GTX 285s for when/if I go to a 69X0.

leading discreet market is kind of not fair since you don't really get a choice of what gpu you can have in there
you pick one laptop and your only choice is this gpu so if you want another gpu you'd have to pick a completely different laptop so it's completely up to the manufacture which gpu is going to be leading

So that means manufacturers prefer ATI and in the end for laptops that is what matters. Doesn't change anything as laptops are seen as more integrated than desktops.

I think people learned from the dieing 6150's nvidia to use AMD video cards. even the newer ones are having issues.

I know all about it, man. I've had a number of Latitude D620s and D630s with Quadro NVS 110Ms and 135Ms (rough equivalents of the 6150) go tits-up lately, all due to video corruption and instability issues. I'm going out of my way to avoid Nvidia cards on my workstations and notebooks here in the future.

As a side note, I've had two nearly-new Quadro NVS 295s die in separate workstations (one of them my own) lately, as well. The newest stuff isn't getting any more reliable. At least the laptops held out for 2-4 years...

Back