980 TI, DVI out to monitor, HDMI out to just audio?

Kadath

Gawd
So I have a new 980TI, I have my old 1080p monitor hooked up via DVI, it works fine. I have also 2 display ports and an HDMI out on the card. I want to send the HDMI to my receiver for surround sound. Doing that tho it identifies that I now have 2 monitors hooked up, despite the fact that there is no monitor past the receiver. Worse, it makes the HDMI display display #1. So I can see the black background of Display 2, and see all of the stuff in my menu bar, but I can't tell the settings window to swap to display #2! And I can't reverse them because I don't have a display to swap to.

I could hook up an HDMI monitor to it temporarily but where is the fun in that? Anyone got an easier more permanent fix?

You should be able to select which is the primary monitor. If the Windows panel doesn't let you do this then try the Nvidia Control Panel. If the actual windows are on the non-existent display then use the Win+arrow keys shortcuts to move them to your real screen.

Yeah that totally didnt work. I added a second monitor temorarily and it looks like in Win 10 it's up and down not left and right and you need to actually select it. What a flipping PITA. Sticking with optical for now...

Here's an earlier thread about using HDMI for audio only. An HDMI audio feed is part of a video feed, not a separate thing, so HDMI audio without a video window is not possible. "audio data is transmitted during the vblank period"

Get a monoprice adapter. 4-way HDMI switch with an optical digital audio out. Does the impossible, breaks audio out of an HDMI signal. Audio still passes through on HDMI too. You'd have to use the HDMI to your monitor though or you have the same problem.

If your receiver has HDMI switching, just curious why you would not just hook up you primary monitor to that? I would think 1080p would allow you to use a simple dvi to hdmi adapter off of the receiver's video out / port. I suppose it really only matters if you are eclipsing the optical ports bandwidth though.

Back