120Hz LCD Info Thread

JayteeBates

[H]ard|Poof
Available 120Hz models
Code:
Acer		GD235HZ		23.6"	1920×1080	TN
Alienware	OptiX AW2310	23"	1920x1080	TN
[URL="http://www.newegg.com/Product/NewProduct.aspx?Item=N82E16824236092&cm_re=3d_monitor-_-24-236-092-_-Product"]Asus[/URL]		VG236H		23.6"	1920x1080	TN
LG		Flatron W2363D	23.6"	1920x1080	TN
ViewSonic	VX2268WM	22"	1680x1050	TN	(Samsung Panel)
Samsung		2233RZ		22"	1680x1050	TN	(Samsung Panel)

seems that when the board puts a hyperlink into one of these tables,
it messes up the formatting - sorry =/

Announced but not yet available 120Hz models
Code:
Viewsonic	V3D241wm-LED	23.6"	1920x1080	TN
Asus		PG276		27"	1920x1080	TN
Asus		VG242H		23.6"	1920x1080	TN

Asus		PG246		23.6"	1920x1080**	TN**
Asus		MG236		23"	1920x1080	TN
Benq		XL2410T		23.6"	1920x1080	TN
**Specs are a guestimate as they were not specified in the product announcement
Viewsonic V3D241wm-LED release update (Q4 - 2010)

Links:

22"
Viewsonic VX2268WM @ http://www.prad.de
Samsung 2233RZ @ http://www.prad.de
Samsung 2233RZ @ X-Bit Labs
Samsung 2233RZ @ TFTCentral

23"
Acer GD235HQ at the [H] Forums
Acer GD235HQ at 3dvision
Viewsonic V3D241WM-LED at 3dvision
Alienware OptiX AW2310 @ [H] Forums
Tom's Guide Review of the Acer/Alienware
LG Flatron W2363D vs Acer GD245HQ @ Digital Versus
MSI All-In-One Touchscreen/3D - coming CeBit Mar 2nd, 2010
Asus VG236H at DigitalVersus
LG W2363D at 3D Vision Blog
Benq XL2410T @ 3dvision

27"
Asus PG276H @ softpedia
Asus PG276H @ [H]

Misc Info
120Hz LCD vs CRT @ [H] forums
Refresh Rate Multi-Tool

Panel Type - TN/MVA/IPS

While all of the panels released and announced (so far) are TN for this first gen release of 120Hz screens it may be possible for an E-IPS based panel to be released in the future (at a higher price level I am sure)

You only need to be under 8ms at all times for 120hz. Of course, just because they rate (E-IPS) at 5ms, doesn't mean it is actually capable of that in a worst case scenario.

There have also been several comments like this one:

Please be aware that these 120Hz computer monitors I have listed, they can actually display 120 different frames per second (true 120Hz) unlike some 120Hz TV's which introduce "blur" to upscale a 60Hz input signal or some other method.

As I'm looking to pickup a 120Hz LCD I was looking for a thread detailing them but, did not come across one. So I started this one to list the available options (that I have found) and ask if anyone else knows of anymore for consideration. Hope this thread helps everyone out.

It has been some time since I updated but there really has not been any additional models announced that I have been made aware of. If you know of any please PM me and I will post an update.

Last edited:
So far the Acer seems to be the best overall, the Viewsonic is not quite out yet but is the same panel as the Acer but with LED backlighting from what I have read at 3dvision-blog.com.

The Asus seems to be MIA despite being announced first back in 2009 according to http://3dvision-blog.com

The 22" models just do not work for me personally as I like the 1920 width and would still prefer 1200 height but 1080 is acceptable.

All 120Hz panels are TN at this point none of the other VA or IPS have a fast enough g-to-g transition time to run at 120Hz. At least as I understand it.

All 120Hz panels are TN at this point none of the other VA or IPS have a fast enough g-to-g transition time to run at 120Hz. At least as I understand it.

e-ips should be able to handle it. They have them down to 5ms now.
You only need to be under 8ms at all times for 120hz. Of course, just because they rate it at 5ms, doesn't mean it is actually capable of that in a worst case scenario.

Thanks for compiling the info.
It's taking awhile for these things to roll out. I'm trying real hard to wait a little and see what comes out in the next few months...but Im running out of patience :(. Might end up with the acer or alienware one.

Added Tom's article.

I'm also trying to hold back a bit and see how many more get put out there. If they had a 1920x1200 I'd be more likely to buy now. I'm also curious to see a review of the Viewsonic with the LED backlight.

nice thread, perhaps you can link where these can be bought, and include an asterisk for those that aren't for sale. It will save a helluva (nice, helluva is in spellcheck) lot of time referencing this thread.

I for one am subscribed. When someone can show a 1080p monitor with a DP and a symmetrical bezel, I'm sold. I'd love 1900x1200, but if they can fix that lame bezel design, I'll concede on the resolution.

I've got the AW2310. Would the pannel information require "Major" taking appart, or just the covers?

I don't mind voiding warranties.

Would the pannel information require "Major" taking appart, or just the covers?

Honestly not sure how much taking apart it would be. The info is generally on a sticker on the back of the panel so at least removal of the back cover would be needed. However, again I am not certain. If you are ok opening it up open it up to the point you are comfortable and see what you see.

I took a good long look at the back of it. After removing the stand there are only 4 screws behind it. Probably means plastic is snapped together all around... I pried in a couple of spots to check and couldn't' get any unsnapped. I guess I won't get you guys more panel info.

I would hesitate too lol. If you don't know where all the little plastic clips are it is hard to get them off without breaking at least one somewhere on the shell.

Last edited:
This is new...
http://www.msi.com/index.php?news_no=951&func=newsdesc

Trying to figure out if this is a new panel or something else integrated, but its a fully integrated 3d system. "A 120Hz LED panel and Shutter Glass 3D glasses", touchscreen, i7, no word on video card so I will guess an unannounced Nvidia card since they are pushing 3d.

120hz touchscreen is something new, will have to wait for cebit to know exact details.

What type of panel do 120hz TVs have?

Can't really compare 120hz TVs to these monitors. I don't believe there are any TVs available at the moment that accept a 120hz signal. Maybe some the "3D capable" sets coming out later this year or next year will, not sure.

Current 120hz TVs still only accept a 60hz signal, but they use interpolation (insert frames between frames) to achieve 120hz.

Current 120hz TVs still only accept a 60hz signal, but they use interpolation (insert frames between frames) to achieve 120hz.

Did not know that. In that case, what a bunch of marketing BS. But still, the screen itself is able to display 120Hz, correct? Why can't a PC panel do the same?

The computer monitors listed in my first post do accept and display 120Hz (or a max of 120 frames per second no interpolation). 120Hz TV's apparently do not.

Thanks for the chart. I was looking for a 120Hz display but 16:9 kills them for me. Ughh..

ESPECIALLY at those prices

Still waiting for my dream monitor, which is basically a CRT in an LCD form factor with perfect color I guess :D

Moving from an SGI FW9011 to a BenQ G2400WD has been, and still is a challenge. :(
Yeah... I was a spoiled bastard.

Can't really compare 120hz TVs to these monitors. I don't believe there are any TVs available at the moment that accept a 120hz signal. Maybe some the "3D capable" sets coming out later this year or next year will, not sure.

The BluRay 3D TV sets will, but some of the ones I've seen have the BluRay player built-in. I'm guessing this is because HDMI probably doesn't have the bandwidth to support 120 fps at 1080p until a later iteration like HDMI 2.0 with higher bandwidth limits comes out.

Even these monitors, including the Samsung 22" require a dual link DVI hook up to provide sufficient bandwidth to drive 120hz at 1680x1050 or 1080p resolution.

Appearently Digitalversus already got hands on the LG 120Hz display. I don't think they used "Thru-mode" when testing input lag though as LG advertises it as "zero input delay" if using that mode and from the digitalversus test it's far from it so or they ran in non-native res so the scaling introduced the lag.

http://www.digitalversus.com/duels.php?ty=6&ma1=35&mo1=664&p1=7710&ma2=38&mo2=631&p2=7352&ph=1

Doesn't look that promissing from those results. Looks to have the same blueish tint many other monitors from LG have altho maybe not so extreme as some other models and relatively low contrast ratio,

EDIT: Here's the written review http://translate.google.com/transla...ques.com/article-240-7710-35.html&sl=fr&tl=en

Last edited:
I think there are software utilities that will read the EDID info and sometimes this will tell you the panel type. Also, sometimes the info is in the Service Menus (which are hidden from customers and require a secret key combo to access).

Does anyone know if any of the have the "glassy" screens, like HP laptops, or Sony "xbrite" monitors?

I was about to order the alienware one, but I noticed in the picture it was matte... I've never had a matte monitor before, so I am not sure if I would like it.

Honestly I am confused a bit - newegg is selling the Acer HZ model whilethe acer product page here http://us.acer.com doesnt show anything but the HQ model. They are both 120Hz though so not seeing a lot of differnce in actual specs.

Does anyone know if any of the have the "glassy" screens, like HP laptops, or Sony "xbrite" monitors?

I was about to order the alienware one, but I noticed in the picture it was matte... I've never had a matte monitor before, so I am not sure if I would like it.

I was in your shoes before I picked up the Samsung 2233RZ. In fact, I came from using a Sony 24" FW900 (hell of a gaming monitor) for years to this. I've always elected to go with glossy displays. That's why my Samsung 46" LED hdtv has spoiled me rotten with gaming and blu-rays. The gloss finish makes the contrast seem so much better than any matte.. IN MY OPINION they are too dull and boring, hardly making out anything unless perfectly centered in front and even then, dark scenes suffer. Plasmas are okay, but matte lcds tend to make me want to vomit (I know that sounds extreme but I want you to know where I'm coming from).

So.... I went against my will and ordered the 2233RZ. The matte screen on this Samsung is unlike any other I've used or seen in the stores. I guess you could call it a semi-matte. It's like it wants to be gloss, but it just isn't. DO NOT let this deter you from this product. I am playing Crysis, Doom 3, Far Cry, etc and it amazes me so much. Obviously the 120hz let's me scroll my mouse with better tracking (ala crt) but the contrast is gorgeous. Samsung claims some bogus 5mil:1 contrast ratio on their hdtvs and 20,000:1 for this one. This couldn't be further from the truth.. but honestly they could stick a 1mil:1 ratio on the 2233RZ and get away with it since folks fall for this.

To sum it up it passed my Doom 3 test. I require dark scenes to be just that..DARK! It's not quite on par with my old 24" CRT (nothing is) but imo it's leagues better than any other non 120hz TN matte lcd. If it's contrast and image pop that your after, this one has it in spades!

Hope this helped.

Last edited:
Think you might have me sold.

Although, I still don't like having no HDCP support, so I can buy a blu-ray drive finally and upgrade my netflix sub. Then again, I'm not about to buy a 16:9 monitor, either.

Cheers,
Glow

I was in your shoes before I picked up the Samsung 2233RZ. In fact, I came from using a Sony 24" FW900 (hell of a gaming monitor) for years to this. I've always elected to go with glossy displays. That's why my Samsung 46" LED hdtv has spoiled me rotten with gaming and blu-rays. The gloss finish makes the contrast seem so much better than any matte.. IN MY OPINION they are too dull and boring, hardly making out anything unless perfectly centered in front and even then, dark scenes suffer. Plasmas are okay, but matte lcds tend to make me want to vomit (I know that sounds extreme but I want you to know where I'm coming from).

So.... I went against my will and ordered the 2233RZ. The matte screen on this Samsung is unlike any other I've used or seen in the stores. I guess you could call it a semi-matte. It's like it wants to be gloss, but it just isn't. DO NOT let this deter you from this product. I am playing Crysis, Doom 3, Far Cry, etc and it amazes me so much. Obviously the 120hz let's me scroll my mouse with better tracking (ala crt) but the contrast is gorgeous. Samsung claims some bogus 5mil:1 contrast ratio on their hdtvs and 20,000:1 for this one. This couldn't be further from the truth.. but honestly they could stick a 1mil:1 ratio on the 2233RZ and get away with it since folks fall for this.

To sum it up it passed my Doom 3 test. I require dark scenes to be just that..DARK! It's not quite on par with my old 24" CRT (nothing is) but imo it's leagues better than any other non 120hz TN matte lcd. If it's contrast and image pop that your after, this one has it in spades!

Hope this helped.

Appearently Digitalversus already got hands on the LG 120Hz display. I don't think they used "Thru-mode" when testing input lag though as LG advertises it as "zero input delay" if using that mode and from the digitalversus test it's far from it so or they ran in non-native res so the scaling introduced the lag.

http://www.digitalversus.com/duels.php?ty=6&ma1=35&mo1=664&p1=7710&ma2=38&mo2=631&p2=7352&ph=1

Doesn't look that promissing from those results. Looks to have the same blueish tint many other monitors from LG have altho maybe not so extreme as some other models and relatively low contrast ratio,

EDIT: Here's the written review http://translate.google.com/transla...ques.com/article-240-7710-35.html&sl=fr&tl=en

Pretty disappointing result, lag does seem very high for something advertised as having no lag :(

Digitalversus is not a trusted site for input lag results anymore. They have posted results for some monitors that don't agree with anybody else's measurements, most significantly the other 120Hz monitors: the Samsung 2233rz and Viewsonic 2268wm.

Hope this helped.

I definitely appreciate the feedback. My feelings towards my sweet glossy samsung are the same :p So..with that being said I trust your judgement and I suppose I could always give it a go, and take a little hit on returning it if need be. Just wish I could see one first :)

I definitely appreciate the feedback. My feelings towards my sweet glossy samsung are the same :p So..with that being said I trust your judgement and I suppose I could always give it a go, and take a little hit on returning it if need be. Just wish I could see one first :)

Same here. Probably going to order one tonight; I'm having withdrawals from lack of Quake pew pew, ever since my FW900 had an aneurysm.

I would hold out a little longer, if there was actually a 1920x1200@120hz toy coming out soon. I had thought that those were the original specs of Asus' vapordisplay, but that's apparently not the case?

Doh. :mad:

Glow

Back