Zyxel GS1910-24 not passing traffic

wizdum

[H]ard|Gawd
I have an odd problem here with a brand new Zyxel switch that I purchased. I'm hoping its just something stupid in my configuration/setup that I am not noticing. I can't access the web configuration page on it unless my computer is plugged directly into the switch. If I plug it into the network after giving it an IP address, I cannot see it. If I plug my computer into the switch directly, and connect the switch to my network, I can access the switch configuration page, but I cannot access anything else on my network.

Its acting like all the ports are isolated, but I can't seem to find anything that would cause this. I do have console access. I tried resetting the configuration to default to see if that fixed it, no luck.

Any ideas?

Last edited:
Make sure all the ports are on the same vlan

Yep, all ports are on VLAN1 by default.

I have set up 3 other switches of the same model, and none of them had this problem out of the box. I tried updating the firmware, thinking that maybe the other 3 had the new version. That was apparently a mistake, as they changed the CLI to be more "cisco-like", and none of the documentation that I have uses this new syntax.

Now I can't even figure out how to enable the web interface.

OK, I figured out how to reset the switch with the new CLI.

I disabled Spanning Tree Protocol on the port that I was using to connect this switch to the rest of the network, and everything came up instantly. So I assume there is something wrong with the STP configuration that is causing it to always ignore this path.

Like I said, "something stupid in my configuration". This switch is to be installed at my workplace (where the other 3 were), I'm just testing/configuring it on my home network over the long weekend. I never changed the bridge priority on my root switch at home because I only have one managed switch. The priority on the "root switch" was still at the default 32768, the same as the priority of the new Zyxel switch. I lowered the priority of my root switch, now everything is working fine.

Problem solved.

I'm not seeing how that should have caused your issues. It should t have mattered what switch was the root bridge in that case.

I'm not seeing how that should have caused your issues. It should t have mattered what switch was the root bridge in that case.

I'm not all that familiar with how STP works, but from what I saw in the configuration, both switches identified themselves as the root bridge, and marked the link between them as "Discarding" instead of "forwarding". I believe its supposed to do this when you have two paths between switches, but one is longer than the other (so traffic only goes through the shorter path). In this case there was only one path, so no traffic was allowed through, isolating everything on the ZyXEL (and preventing me from seeing the management interface from my desktop that was plugged into the Netgear).

Thats my best guess. I guess i'll find out on Tuesday when I bring the thing to work and plug it in there.

EDIT: And I guess I never explained the network layout, since I thought it was irreverent. Its a basic home network:
Code:
                                                   -->Hawking 24-Port Gigabit Switch
Ubiquiti Edgerouter Lite --> Netgear GS724TS --<
                                                   -->ZyXEL GS1910-24
The Hawking switch was my old primary switch, I just hung it off the Netgear in case I need more ports in the future. Everything on my network is plugged directly into the Netgear, aside from the client I was using to try to configure the ZyXEL.

Last edited:
STP still should've only picked one root bridge. If they have the same priority it should choose the switch with the lower MAC address as root.

Weird.

If you read the firmware release notes you'll see that the new firmware is quite a bit revamped.
//Danne

Back