ZR24w & PS3

AMDinside

n00b
Joined
Jul 8, 2010
Messages
15
Last edited:
As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
No. It has DisplayPort; DVI-D; VGA.
If it had HDMI i wouldn't be asking for help.

You do know your not gonna get 1080p picture on this monitor for your PS3 right?

Which in all reality is fine cause its a PC monitor not a TV but just a heads up in case you dont know about the scaling issue that these panels have.
 
itll be 1080, just slightly stretched out. it honestly looks fine.
i cant help you on the adapters. i use an hdmi/dvi cable on mine, and display port to my pc.
 
Im not worry about the scaling issue.
I just wanna know which adapter works & which i should avoid,
Thanks
 
IIRC while you can use most displayport graphics cards with a DVI or HDMI monitor the reverse is not true.

I think you will either need to get a HDMI switch box or get a graphics card with displayport for your computer.
 
I'm not using any graphics card at all.
I'm not using my personal computer.
I'm using my PS3 with hdmi connected to a HDMI to DisplayPort adapter.
The displayport end goes to the monitor.
The monitor says "no signal"
I have it to the right source on the monitor's menu....still no picture.
help anyone?
 
I'm not trying to make you sound like an idiot, but in all those steps, you didn't mention turning on the PS3. Assuming you did, I would look at that adapter, and make sure it works. I would also check and make sure the HDMI cable's good, and finally make sure the DP port on the monitor actually works.
 
DisplayPort is not compatible to HDMI per se. Dual-Mode DisplayPort specified devices however support a compatibility mode that uses the HDMI signal protocol over DP connectors. If the display in question has a specific logo (its the DisplayPort "D" with two plusses left of it), it should support that mode.

Any passive adapter between HDMI and DP should work because the only purpose of such adapters is the Dual-Mode operation. I have to admit I never tried that with an HDMI source and a DP sink.

If this does not work, your best bet is a passive (!) HDMI to DVI adapter.
 
Not sure if this helps, but for instance, the iMac's have a DisplayPort only, and as you've seen there's a ton of HDMI-to-DisplayPort adapters ...however, none of them work as some people have mentioned, the signal can't be converted with a simple adapter. In the case of the iMac, you have to buy close to a $180 adapter to get a PS3 working on it.

Try the HDMI-to-DVI route, it should work, and should be a whole lot cheaper. And then you can just buy some $2-3 adapters for the audio. If you wanna know more, just YouTube it. There's a few videos of guys getting PS3's connected via HDMI/DVI and using the standard PS3 cables as well to receive audio.
 
I recently tried this. Apparently HP doesn't think it's necessary to have two inputs that actually work with HDMI. A displayport>hdmi converter simply does not work. The only way for this to work is DVI to HDMI.

Displayport is pretty much useless as far as I'm concerned at this point since converters don't even work half the time. It really pisses me off too because I can't have both my pc and ps3 hooked up at the same time. It's one or the other because this stupid display only has one port that seemingly actually works, aside from VGA. If I want to use both, I have to unplug and plug the other one in.

Thanks HP :)
 
Sorry to necrothread, but this is relevant to my interest of hooking a PS3 to a ZR24W I have recently ordered. I already have an HDMI -> DVI cord, but does it scale the game properly in 16:9 (with letterboxing)?
 
Sorry to necrothread, but this is relevant to my interest of hooking a PS3 to a ZR24W I have recently ordered. I already have an HDMI -> DVI cord, but does it scale the game properly in 16:9 (with letterboxing)?

No it will not, sorry.
 
Hi guys. I also need some clarification about this issue. I've already got my zr24w monitor, and now I was thinking about getting a ps3. But these issues got a me a bit worried so thought I'd ask and maybe someone can explain it to me.

From what i understand the ZR24W monitor will not scale the 1080 signal that the ps3 sends. But what if you set it to output 720p. Will it then scale correctly, and apply the black bands at the top and bottom of the screen? I need to know for sure if this at least works for 720. Some people have said that it might, others that it might not, so I'd like an answer from someone who's tried it, if at all possible.

I've also got a second monitor, a 20" NEC MDview202 which defaults to 1600x1200. Would that one work better, and have a bigger chance of scaling correctly for the PS3 signal?

Thanks and I hope to hear from at least someone, as I'm planning on getting a PS3 for my birthday, and I wouldn't want to invest money into this, and then have it not work properly. Thanks again.
 
I've also got a second monitor, a 20" NEC MDview202 which defaults to 1600x1200. Would that one work better, and have a bigger chance of scaling correctly for the PS3 signal?
I can't answer the ZR24W question with complete confidence, but it appears as if it scales correctly (1:1) at 720p - see http://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Desktop-Monitors-and-Video/tech-question-about-the-ZR24w/td-p/250605 . Anything higher, and the scaler is "bypassed".

I never heard anyone owning the MDView202 before ($$$!) - but i'm expecting the menus (and advanced service menu) to be completely like the LCD2090UXi. This will accept a 720p input and display it at "off" (1:1), "aspect" (use as much area as possible, but maintain proportions), full (stretch). It also allows a custom setting. The custom setting can be defined in the service/advanced menu, allowing you to define whatever aspect ratio you want - from defining the position of the image, the resolution, and zoom amount. Example of adjusting the zoom: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=INBI8zV66bA
 
I can't answer the ZR24W question with complete confidence, but it appears as if it scales correctly (1:1) at 720p - see http://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Desktop-Monitors-and-Video/tech-question-about-the-ZR24w/td-p/250605 . Anything higher, and the scaler is "bypassed".

Hmm, I've changed the resolution on my desktop to 1280x720 and I still didn't have the Scale to Aspect Ratio enabled in the OSD of the monitor. Maybe it kicks in while connected to the PS3? Currently, while connected by DVI to my PC I've only got Overscan enabled.

I never heard anyone owning the MDView202 before ($$$!) - but i'm expecting the menus (and advanced service menu) to be completely like the LCD2090UXi. This will accept a 720p input and display it at "off" (1:1), "aspect" (use as much area as possible, but maintain proportions), full (stretch). It also allows a custom setting. The custom setting can be defined in the service/advanced menu, allowing you to define whatever aspect ratio you want - from defining the position of the image, the resolution, and zoom amount. Example of adjusting the zoom: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=INBI8zV66bA

I got it as a used monitor off ebay. It was a bit old when i got, but it still works good enough. The colors though have begun to pale. But it's still good enough for me.
 
Back
Top