ZFS build

What about the 16-port LSI 9201-16i HBA? Are you concerned about the limited bandwidth per port? I think mrb could be overestimating the overhead. But if money is no object, then a couple 9211-8i cards would certainly be the safer choice if you want to maximize bandwidth per port.
 
I did think about the 9201-16i (my original choice actually) but yes the limited bandwidth per port would be an issue, even with an overestimated overhead. If I had PCIe 2.0 I wouldn't hesitate with it.

Thinking about it again, I would need 10gigE to make use of the PCIe 2.0/SAS 6Gbps combo so even if I went with the 9211 cards and eventually did upgrade my motherboard I wouldn't see the benefit anyway with gigE, so now thinking to stick with the SAS3081E-R as I intended to use Solaris 11 Express and Solaris support for the 1068E is bulletproof (if it's good enough for Sun to use on their Thumper servers then it's certainly good enough for me!!!!)

Arrrrrggghhh!
 
Intel SASUC8I - £111.62 (SAS 3Gbps PCIe 1.0)
LSI SAS3081E-R - £133.50 (SAS 3Gbps PCIe 1.0)
IBM SerRAID BR10i - £185.56 (SAS 3Gbps (PCIe 1.0)
LSI SAS9211 - £153.00 (SAS 6Gbps PCIe 2.0)

I would prefer LSI original ones due to fimware updates and support (I guess if I flashed the Intel or IBM with stock LSI firmware they would not support them), so for the £20 difference per card it would be criminal to go with the older 3081E-R card over the 9211.

Damn, I think it's criminal to pay those prices....:eek:

http://www.glcomp.com/ibm-system-x-serveraid-br10i-sas-sata-controller

they will post to you

.
 
I know, and these are at a heavily discounted price as I am sourcing from my work's IT supplier, who we give massive amounts of business to!

I do sometimes loathe living in the UK!
 
Back
Top