Zalnan 9900 LED with or without shroud???

Crippy144

Weaksauce
Hey. I just purchased a Zalman 9900 LED cpu cooler and its gonna arrive tomorrow. I have been reading reviews around the net and some say you get lower temps with the shroud on. i also read on others with the shroud off the temps dropped by 3C Should I remove the shroud for top cooling performance with this cooler?

:eek: The plastic shroud has no use besides protecting the copper fins in transport. Definitely take it off.

i read that it was to make sure no air leaked out through the fins so it wouldnt dump the heat back into the case... this way it would be directed right toward the exhaust fan.

Zalman website says to take it off... So I would go with the manufacture recommendation and remove the shroud.
CNPS9900_img01.jpg

http://www.bjorn3d.com/read.php?cID=1521&pageID=6542

Overclocked CPU speed 3.7 GHz

CPU Testing Idle Load
Zalman CNPS9900LED w/o Plastic cover 33°C 59°C
Zalman CNPS9900LED w Plastic cover 33°C 56°C
Cooler Master V8 35°C 60°C
Noctua NHC12P 36°C 61°C

Here the CNPS9900LED CPU cooler catapulted ahead of the competition was once the CPU was brought up to 3.7GHz, shaving 4°C from the V8 and another 5°C against the NHC12P Cooler. When comparing with the plastic cover on or off, the test while using the cover provided a 3°C drop then the test without the cover.

The cover won't melt and provide better cooling. Leave it on. Damn the man!

Back