zalman7000cu

skinlab

Gawd
just grabbed one, hooked it up, put a dab of AS5 on the core and did the twist thing on the heatsink, seems to be running pretty cool, 27-30celcius idle
i expect it to drop down more once the AS5 kicks in, so im gonna be running prime95 for the rest of the day to warm up the cpu

in any case, once im past 72hours i plan on doing some overclocking
i got a 2.6c (specs in sig)
heres what the core reads:

SL6WS CHINA
5339A951

in any case, heres my question:

its the first time i oc a p4, im used to amd systems where i would go up in about 5-10mhz increments, should i do the same to the p4?
i was hoping i could hit 250mhz then run 5:4 on the ram, but im afraid to jump all the way up to that.
also, vcore wise, whats safe? i heard anything over 1.7 fries the chip, right now vcore is 1.58-1.6 (according to asus probe).
is it possible to hit 250fsb just on 1.6 or 1.65?
also, i didnt apply any AS5 to northbridge since asus made it so fucking hard to remove the stock sink, but ive got good airflow in the case (could be better, too many wires).

anyway, any advice on ocing this thing would be nice. thanks.

Yes, bump up the fsb in 5/10 increments. You didn't mention what speed ram you have, so I guess you should start with 1:1 ratio then switch to 5:4 when you start having stability/booting problems.

ram in sig
pc3500, so at 250fsb and 5:4 ill be running it at 200mhz, so thats why im looking to push it to 250mhz
im not really looking for more, so when and if i reach 250mhz ill probably stop there.
but im not sure about voltage, i checked the cpudatabase, and most ppl got it to 3.2ghz at 1.6v or under, same chip as i have, so im hoping i can get the same.

i just bumped the fsb up to 217 so i can run the memory at full potential, just a 200mhz overclock but its running fine, so im pretty happy at that
next week ill start to exhert some pressure, see if i can hit 3.2ghz
under load i was less than 40celcius at 2.8ghz which isnt bad (stock cooling and no ocing i would hit close to 60celcius under load before)

good times :)

Back