Zalman Coolers

Looking at the A64 3700+ San Diego cpu and maybe some OCing in the future. Looks like the Zalman 7700 is the fan of choice for some people. Are there any other fans (without going water-cooling) that match up to it?

zalman fans are made for quietness not cooling, get a xp-90 with a nice panaflow fan.

don't just say they aren't good for cooling.....compare them to the stock cooler, that will help by providing a good contrast that people are fimiliar with. I'm at 37C with the stock cooler under 100% load, so if the zalman coolers cool just as good as stock, i'll be happy.

P.S. I'm at 2.25 gHZ with a winchester 3000+

Do you own one? I own the 7700cu, and its almost not better than stock cooling. it lowers my temps by 3c.

I also have a Zalman 7700-cu , it does cool alot better than my stock hsf though I was going for silence after I heard the stock fan (my ears rang for days afterward). Though I'm running a P4 LGA775 cpu not an AMD 64 so you may not get the same results.

Are there any coolers that might not be as big or a smaller profile? I am used to the Swiftech HS/Fans that are more or less straight up instead of covering the RAM slots even.

Not that the Zalman or the XP-90/120 are bad for having a larger area, I would just like to hear about any others that are around that do a good job like the two above.

Bigger heatsinks do a better job, that's pretty much all there is to it, besides material. Oh, and novelties like heatpipes :). Stock HSF are smaller and more vertical b/c they cool worse. Companies like Thermalright and Zalman spend a lot more more researching HSF design than whoever makes AMD stock HSFs. :p

The XP-90 shouldn't be too big, don't get the XP-90c though. If you are more D.I.Y. I'd suggest the XP-90 or XP-120. If not, get a Zalman. I would choose either of the copper versions myself.

3c diff? But what are your starting and ending temps? The diff between 27c and 24c is a lot bigger than the difference between 53c and 50c.

Russ said:
Bigger heatsinks do a better job, that's pretty much all there is to it, besides material. Oh, and novelties like heatpipes :). Stock HSF are smaller and more vertical b/c they cool worse. Companies like Thermalright and Zalman spend a lot more more researching HSF design than whoever makes AMD stock HSFs.
Not really. They have a budget they need to be able to sell the product for... those stock AMD thermal solutions are quite cheap. They work quite well too. The 70mm fan moves a decent amount of air, the heatsink itself offers a generous amount of surface area, and the default thermal pad is from Shin Etsu.

Back