Zalman Coolers

Jynx

n00b
All of the "Build a quiet PC" articles and "My quiet PC" threads I was reading were pretty old. But based on what I did read one of the most quiet CPU coolers I found was the Zalman CNPS7700-Cu.

Now considering the age of the articles (mid 2006) is their a more quiet Zalman cooler at this point?

Upon further searching, which are the quieter setups? The taller solutions like the CNPS9500 or the CNPS7700. The CNPS7700 seems to come up a lot when I go through the silent pc articles but I've noticed a recent trend in the CNPS9500 style.

Why are you only looking at Zalman? You can buy other heatsinks, but a low CFM/RPM fan on it and be quieter then the stock Zalman fan that is you can't easily swap out.

I have a Scythe Ninja rev B and the fan that comes with it is pretty quiet. It isn't the best hsf combo out there but it does a pretty good job of cooling and is relatively quiet.

Why are you only looking at Zalman? You can buy other heatsinks, but a low CFM/RPM fan on it and be quieter then the stock Zalman fan that is you can't easily swap out.

Can you give me some examples?

I also have a Scythe Ninja Rev. B, the included fan pushes enough air while remaining very quiet. I would have to say I'm very happy with its performance. I also hear good things about the Thermalright Ultra-120, it doesn't include a fan, so you can pick one that is good for you.

The Scythe Infinity is supposed to be a pretty quiet heatsink. Thermalright heatsinks don't come with fans so you can pick your own based on your sound level or airflow needs. From what I've heard, the Zalman 9500/9700 heatsinks aren't especially quiet either, and in terms of cooling they can't compare to the really high-end coolers out there.

I happen to have a Zalman 7700 on my server machine and it is pretty darn quiet, but it doesn't cool particularly well so it's not great for overclocking. The Thermalright Ultra-120 I have on my main machine coupled with the S-flex fan is much, much better. You can pick the fan speed you need based on your cooling requirements, but they are all very quiet. The Yate Loon fans are also popular quiet fans. I would definately go with something like the Ultra-120 if you have the space in your case (Tuniq tower, Ninja, Infinity, those are good too) but the Thermalrights let you pick the fan you want so its a little more customizable.

I happen to have a Zalman 7700 on my server machine and it is pretty darn quiet, but it doesn't cool particularly well so it's not great for overclocking. The Thermalright Ultra-120 I have on my main machine coupled with the S-flex fan is much, much better. You can pick the fan speed you need based on your cooling requirements, but they are all very quiet. The Yate Loon fans are also popular quiet fans. I would definately go with something like the Ultra-120 if you have the space in your case (Tuniq tower, Ninja, Infinity, those are good too) but the Thermalrights let you pick the fan you want so its a little more customizable.

My case isn't deep enough. I'm using a Cooler master Elite 330
Based solely on the case specs it would be, but with the motherboard, cpu..etc its not.

The Scythe Infinity is supposed to be a pretty quiet heatsink. Thermalright heatsinks don't come with fans so you can pick your own based on your sound level or airflow needs. From what I've heard, the Zalman 9500/9700 heatsinks aren't especially quiet either, and in terms of cooling they can't compare to the really high-end coolers out there.

I would have to disagree here. I have a Zalman 9500LED and even at 2400, I can BARELY hear it and my systems temps are right now at 30c with 7 tabs of firefox loaded and some other stuff. Not bad I'd say for a Zalman.

I mean I can hear it alittle bit, But its NO WHERE near extremely LOUD. If I turn it down to 1320, All I hear is my 120mm case fans.

Unless these are the wrong? temps:

I use Scythe Ninja B. Its quiet and I can even turn the fan off all the time because the cooler alone does the trick.

I use a Zalman 9700 and on 5v (lowest speed) it cools my overclocked E6750 processor fine, even under load. The fan itself is not audiable over my HDs read/write noise. Although, the fan is quite loud on 12v (highest speed). I am very happy with the fan, although there are some heatsinks out there that perform a little better, at least on my local shops, the Zalman was alot cheaper, much due to the fact a fan is included (and not exchangable) while on other heatsinks, a fan was not included and hence the price rose quite alot. I am very happy with the fan and would recommend it to anyone.

Back