Z680 vs...?

Eagle156

2[H]4U
I have Logitech Z-680 speakers and I'm pleased with them, but I have to turn them down really soft to not piss off the neighbors. So, I'm considering the idea of getting headphones. How much do I have to spend to get the same/better sound quality to these speakers? This will be hooked up to my Audigy2ZS btw.

Can someone chine in here? I like these cans but how do they sound compared to some decent computer speakers? I will be using them mainly for gaming and a little bit of music. Will I lose the ability to pinpoint the direction an opponent is coming from like I can with 5.1 speakers?

According to my soundman who goes by the name of Yoyoshowsdayello (regular of the anandtech forums), these are better than both Z-680s and the newer Z-5500s. According to customer reviews on newegg, you wont the ability to pinpoint people. But you know how newegg reviews can be ;)

Gautama said:
According to my soundman who goes by the name of Yoyoshowsdayello (regular of the anandtech forums), these are better than both Z-680s and the newer Z-5500s. According to customer reviews on newegg, you wont the ability to pinpoint people. But you know how newegg reviews can be ;)
That's good news. :D Do you happen to know what the bass is like on them? The bass on these speakers is ok, but a little overpowering even on the lowest setting; however I'd rather have that than the tinny sound of most headphones I've tried ( they were cheap ones though). Can they handle explosions well?

I'm not worried about the newegg reviews, I think headphones will actually be better for pinpointing gunfire since they sit closer to your ears...

I meant you will be able to pinpoint, must have came out wrong. From reviews, many people say that the bass is absolutely perfect.

Eagle156 said:
I have Logitech Z-680 speakers and I'm pleased with them, but I have to turn them down really soft to not piss off the neighbors. So, I'm considering the idea of getting headphones. How much do I have to spend to get the same/better sound quality to these speakers? This will be hooked up to my Audigy2ZS btw.

LOL exactly why sold mine and went with X-230's this time (since I can't really turn it up anyway). Good sound quality at lower levels, and upgraded my headphones and AMP.

Eagle156 said:

Well I have the same speakers the Logitech Z-680 and I just love them and I sometimes
use my eDimensional AudioFX Force Feedback Gaming Headset which are very good and
also good price

http://www.techimo.com/articles/index.pl?photo=243

http://www.bigbruin.com/reviews05/audiofx/index.php?file=1

go to www.headfi.org. AMAZING wealth of information.

If you give me a budget I can give you headphone reccomendations. I would reccomend you my headphone/amp combo, but I doubt you want to spend $2000.

I would suggest a used pair of Alessandro MS-1's. They will beat the crap out of the sennheisers.

Can anyone else confirm that the HD485s will sound comparable to the Z680s? I don't want to shell out cash for something that won't sound good. Apparently my speakers aren't that great, but they sound good to me. Are these headphones in the same league? I wish I could try them out in a store playing a round of BF2 or something. :(

The sound quality of the HD485s will be much higher than that of the Z680s.

I have the z-560's and i'm considering buying the sennheiser hd 485's. My question though is should I connect them directly to the sound card or through the speaker control module?

I would say to the control module and use digital for that. You don't have to change the wire each time you want to use your headphones if you connect it to the module, you can also change the volume with the remote. I think that if you connect your headphone directly to the card, the sound would be about the same like when you are using digital but if you use analogue to the control module and then headphones, it is better to connect the headphones directly to the card. With my X-Plosion before I get a better bass from the control module(the X-Plosion/X-Mystique has a weak bass on their analogue) but now with the X-Meridian, it is much better to connect it directly to the card, I also have a X-Fi and for me the sound is almost the same if I connect my headphones directly to X-Fi's analogue or to the module in digital.

Well I got my HD485s today. :D Overall, they are very nice. The bass is much tighter than my Z-680s, and is very deep. It seems to pack quite a punch, similar to what my Z-680s did at mid volumes; but without waking the neighbors. I was really surprised that nice bass could come out of headphones. The mids and highs aren't as good so far, but they're still pretty good. I think they need to be broken in, as they already sound better after 1 hour than when I first tried them on. The only real problem is that they are very tight on my head, and I don't even have a big head. I think I'll stretch them on a pillow or something overnight.

So where did you connect the headphones to? Btw the HD-485 is actually good for its price. I've tried HD-485, HD-555, and HD-595 in a store before I bought my HD-595, I like the HD-485 more than HD-555 and I would say it is not very far behind HD-595 but I'm already in love with the HD-595.

I connected it straight to the soundcard; I haven't tried connecting them to the speakers yet. I can say that I'm hearing things that I've never heard before with my speakers. The highs are as good as the lows, but the mid range is a bit muffled so to say. But, I've read that it's normal for these cans, and the mids start coming out with some burn in. Even right now, they sound very nice. :D

EDIT: Yep, the mids are definitly coming in now. Sounds fabulous now.

Back