z-5500's--what sound card should i get?

matt3lewis

n00b
hey guys,
this is my first time on the forum. I joined it cause I have one specific question that I'd like you guys to try to answer--a good bud recommended the site to me.

anyway, i just bought the z-5500's. My specs are below:

Asus A8V-E Deluxe
AMD Athlon(tm) 64 4000+ 2400MHz
Windows XP
The sound that comes with it is integrated: 8-channel AC97 codec: Realtek ALC850

So, do you think I should invest in a sound card to go with it. I want great sound from my mp3's. that said, i'm not an audiophile, i just want terrific sound.

If i buy a simple optical conneciton and hook my speakers up to the integrated Realtek AC 97, will the sound be significantly worse than if i were to buy a medium range card (say 30-80$)

What I would like to know most, however, is what cards you would recommend for getting good DTS. Also, what is the cheapest THX certified sound card.
I'd be willing to spend up to 100$ or there abouts.

any info or answers or comments would be greatly appreciated.

:)

Thanks guys
-Matt

Check out the first post of my thread, I've listed some cards there if you want to use the digital connection. If you just wanna use analogue, I think that X-Fi XtremeGamer is also good for its price and I think it will sound as good/bad as other X-Fi except the Elite Pro. Since you didn't mention anything about gaming, you could also try EMU cards.

gaming is important to me too yet in a unique way. I want the drivers updated adn the card stable so that it does not crash--i usually use headphones for gaming anyway.

Why do you want the drivers updated if you didn't have any problem with the card? For gaming with headphones I use dual sound cards.

really? hmmmmmmmmmmmmm...

so if I want the to hear music crisply but not pay over $100 like I would have to for the Xplosion, are they any other cards that decode tunes and sounds into DDL like I so want?

Also, does it sound that much better in DDL? I have not tested such.

Have you read my thread? I've listed some cards with DDL there, the cheapest would be the Theatron DTS. For me with my Z-5400, DDL sounds better for music than my X-Fi(not much but better) but I like most the X-Meridian's analogue(much better than X-Fi's analogue).

Back