Z-5500 Question

Spartan611

Limp Gawd
Ok so I plan on getting a set of Logitech Z-5500's soon and I have a question regarding all the connections.

BTW I posted something a while ago on this but my questions have slightly changed.

I know it has only one digital optical, one digital coaxial, and one analog.

This is what I plan on using with the Z-5500's.

A Samsung LN-S2651D LCD HDTV

A computer with an X-Fi Fatal1ty sound card

An Xbox 360

Probably an HDTV cable box

Maybe some other things later like HD-DVD/Blu Ray or whatever.

Anyways I need to know if something will work. As you probably know the TV, 360, and cable box have digital( I think the cable box has digitial). So I want to know if I plug from my computer's sound card to the Z-5500's control unit directly with the Analog, and then plug the 360, the TV, and the cable box all through optical into a AV Reciever like the Pelican System Selector 2.0, then plug the system selector into the control unit, will it work?

Sorry if that doesn't make sense. Basically I want my sound card on analog directly to the control unit. Fine I am pretty sure that will work. I also want the TV, 360, and Cable box all on digital optical to be connected to the control unit as well. BUT the Z-5500's only have one digital optical input. So I want to use an AV system selector like the Pelican System Selector 2.0 and plug the 3 things into those inputs and then plug the output into the z-5500's input. Will that work in terms of controlling everything from the control unit instead of the system selector? I only want the system selector to be able to use everything not to control everything. I want to control everything from the Z-5500's control pod directly. Sorry if this is confusing guys but please try to bear with me. THANK YOU, I REALLY APPRECIATE IT. ALSO PLEASE TRY TO RESPOND ASAP.

Here's what I was thinking, connect analog to pc, and then digital to sound output for the television because since everything is somehow connected to the television whenever you run a source through the television it will automatically send audio from source to tv then from tv to 5500. I ran outta space on my old receiver, have some stuff hooked up to my tv and then audio out to receiver so whenver anything played over the tv it would sound on my speaker set. I dunno if this answers your question but good luck.

Ok let me see if I get what your saying.

Plug the Sound card directly to the Control pod over analog.

Plug the 360 and HDTV Cable box into the AV Receiver.

Then plug that output into the TV's Digital input.

Then plug the TV's digital output into the Control pod.

I think there will be a few problems with that. I don't think my TV has digital optical input. If it does can someone confirm this for me. It only has digital optical OUTPUT I believe. So right there I can't use it. If it does have digital optical input I think all the connections made cancel each other out. Am I right?

If there is another way then the one I posted in the original post, and it works, can someone tell me it please? Thanks.

The pod does not have that capability. You can select from the coax, digital and analog inputs. That's it. Your Pelican System Selector 2.0 will still need to be used to select the inputs you want to send to the pod.

Ok that is fine but it won't cancel each other out right?

If so then that is not a problem doing that.

Does your tv have digital output for sound? What I was trying to explain is connect digital output to the 5500, then anything that streams through tv will automatically go to 5500.
Pelican to TV
TV Digital Sound Output to 5500
Pelican send device signal to TV, the TV will play sound, anything connected through digital output will automatically send the sound to the 5500, whenever you switch sources with pelican it will automatically send signal of other system and tv will send sound to 5500.

Yes I understand, but does my TV have a digital input? Don't I need that as well as output?

Yes I know my TV has digital output, I know that. What I want to know is does it have digital INPUT?

Doubt it, but any audio source that goes into the tv will automatically get sent throug the digi out. Look in the back.

Your tv does not have digital in. I don't think anything you listed would work very well. The Pelican System stuff to my knowledge has no digital inputs. It is NOT an AV Receiver and that is what you would need to do this right. For the sake of avoiding confusion, here is what I would do in your situation:

X-Fi soundcard -> Z5500 control pod via analog inputs.
TV -> Z5500 control pod via digital (optical)
Xbox360 -> TV via analog inputs (RCA)
Cable Box -> Z5500 control pod via digital (coax)

In the future:
Whatever type of DVD or HD player -> TV via HDMI

PCMusicGuy said:
Your tv does not have digital in. I don't think anything you listed would work very well. The Pelican System stuff to my knowledge has no digital inputs. It is NOT an AV Receiver and that is what you would need to do this right. For the sake of avoiding confusion, here is what I would do in your situation:

X-Fi soundcard -> Z5500 control pod via analog inputs.
TV -> Z5500 control pod via digital (optical)
Xbox360 -> TV via analog inputs (RCA)
Cable Box -> Z5500 control pod via digital (coax)

In the future:
Whatever type of DVD or HD player -> TV via HDMI

Would I still be able to get surround sound out of my speakers from my 360?

No, you wouldn't be able to. Only through optical will you be able to get real surround sound from the 360.

The Pelican System Selector 2.0 does offer digital audio switching, so it would work. You'll probably get some signal degredation but it will work, and probably just as well as any other method that you're going to have to do to hook things up..

After all, are you really going to want to have 2+ wires plugged into the front panel of the X-Fi?

What you could do is get the Creative mini-adapter for the digital port and plug two of them into that (one optical the other through digital coax) and then plug the third device directly into the optical port of the Z-5500s (and then you'd connect the mini-adapter to the Z-5500s through digital coaxial).

I wasn't going to plug anything into the front panel of the X-Fi I dont think.

I was going to plug the sound card to the speakers directly via analog.

Then the digital's were going to go through the system selector, then from that to the control pod.

Back