Your upgrade advice

urslow

n00b
Hi,
I'm considering a fairly major upgrade to my computer. I currently have a ASUS P4P800, Pentium 3.0 GHz Processor, and some basic DDR400 Memory, and an ASUS A9800pro/TVD video card. I'd like to keep the chip and the video card upgrade the board, and the memory. I don't do alot of gaming, but I do like to play Microsoft Train Simulator, which is pretty graphic intense. I have a WD Raptor 10,000 rpm HD as well as as couple of Maxtor 7200 rpm drives, that can't be set up as raid, they are not the same model or size.
I'd like your suggestions for the board and memory. I'd also maybe consider upgrading the processor as well.

Thanks for your time,
Al :p

I think the amount of return on investment you will get increases as follows.

Motherboard - very little performance impact
Memory - an increase in memory may improve performance in limited application
Video card - depends on the games options to increase settings
Processor - helpful all around

However, usually when video games are the focus, the video card will show more of an improvement.

In your specific case:
"Multimedia PC with a Pentium II 266 MHz equivalent or higher processor with 8 MB 3D video hardware acceleration or better, or a Pentium II 350 MHz equivalent or higher processor"

I don't think upgrading will affect your gameplay whatsoever.

If you feel like you've got money to burn, I would strongly consider the DFI nForce4 SLI motherboard and an Athlon X2 3800+ processor (currently $332 at NewEgg.com). You can keep using your DDR, but if you have 2 512MB chips, you could opt for another 2. And you should check out the Geforce 7800GT. I'm partial to the XFX which goes for around $360 on NewEgg.com.

Other than Train Simulator, what intensive tasks do you like to complete, particularly simultaneously?

Other than Train Sim, I maybe play MP3's while working with pictures in Photoshop Elements, or Paintshop Pro. Other than that I don't do alot of multitasking. So what do you think oabout getting better memory or should I just add 2 more basic chips. :confused:

I'm just trying to gain some speed, I think I may have a bottleneck someplace in this setup.

Back