Your favorite window manager?

Your favorite windowManager?

• Total voters

rubasu

n00b
NOT DESKTOP ENVIROMENTS!! aka kde, gnome

So which one works for you? Vote and explain why. ;)

Those who vote for the last option please say what and why.

My choice:

WindowMaker:

Quite possibly the 1st reason would by that It was the only manager that was "pretty" as compared to other ones back in 1998. WindowMaker is very minimalistic, maybe not as much as *box windowmanager but modeled around the NeXTStep design by NeXT thus somewhat sharing the same foundations as OS X. Its stable, quick and probably the strongest point of this window manager is the dockapps (www.dockapps.org). There is tons of dockapps availbale, most of them are useless and just look pretty but there is alot of usefull ones as well, I would even go as far as saying that I dont think I could live without some of them (lol). The dock also serves a great applaunch facility, by simply dragging an application over to the dock makes that application launch icon part of the windowmanager quickly.

I've tried alot different window managers but very quickly came back to windowmaker, its just right (for me).

The only cons I have with wmaker is that the titlebars have only two settings (looks) howerver both are astheticly pleasing.

I knowI missed khakai, enlightement and few other ones but the poll limit is only set to 10, please vote OTHER
;)

WindowMaker. It's fast. It can look very good. It's stable. It's worked for me for years...At least since before I made the switch to FreeBSD from Linux in 1999. Strangely enough, my desktop hasn't changed much since then and I like it that way.

I'm in the same boat as rubasu, though. I've tried other WMs, but I always go back to WindowMaker.

I like Fluxbox. However, it seems that it hates my computer, and Fedora Core 5. So, it just won't run. :(

[H]EMI_426 said:
WindowMaker. It's fast. It can look very good. It's stable. It's worked for me for years...At least since before I made the switch to FreeBSD from Linux in 1999. Strangely enough, my desktop hasn't changed much since then and I like it that way.

I'm in the same boat as rubasu, though. I've tried other WMs, but I always go back to WindowMaker.

I see this amongs alot of oldschool linux users, windowmaker is their choice!

New and somewhat recent users resort to dsktop enviroments and flux/open/blackbox

I also checked xwinman.org and it seems like windowmaker is dominating big time!

http://xwinman.org/vote.php

chart.gif

I voted metacity. Just becouse I use gnome.

But If we are talking about cool factor then it has got to be compiz.

Another vote for Windowmaker here on my FreeBSD desktops.

It makes windows of a reasonably pretty nature, then gets out of the way so I can do my work.

I noticed most of the BSD guys around here have no desire to spice up their desktop and most use WM as the window manager. I personally like teh eye candy.

4saken said:
I noticed most of the BSD guys around here have no desire to spice up their desktop and most use WM as the window manager. I personally like teh eye candy.

I use KDE on all my installations, but that's more for the convenience and features than the eyecandy. (When I need something a bit lighter I fall back to XFCE4, or iceWM if I just need to stack a few windows while fixing something.)

Not that I mind the way KDE looks these days. :)

4saken said:
I don't know about that. My desktop looks nice (to me) without being obnoxious or annoying. I find most of the bouncing icons, etc. to be annoying.

I use FVWM, I guess because it was already used here at work. I've used it on Digital/Compaq Tru64 Unix, Solaris and Slackware. I have the FVWM Cygwin install, but haven't tried it on Cygwin yet.

I voted Metacity because I use Gnome, and I think metacity will be very nice in future releases.

I really like Kwin and Windowmaker though. Guess it is nice to have choice. ;)

Other: KWin

I gravitate to Qt apps so I use KDE with Kwin is fine. I don't really care 1 bit what my desktop looks like. It's just a place to load apps.

LazyBastard said:
I use FVWM, I guess because it was already used here at work. I've used it on Digital/Compaq Tru64 Unix, Solaris and Slackware. I have the FVWM Cygwin install, but haven't tried it on Cygwin yet.

What? You don't use CDE on Tru64? ;)

(I just loaded Tru64 on my PWS after getting my hands on a suitable graphics card. CDE ... works, but replacing it doesn't feel like a bad idea.)

4saken said:

Eye candy is fine as long as it doesn't get in the way. If I'm working on a complicated problem the last thing I want is to be distracted by flashing icons, frivilous window animations, or other pointless destractions that wreck my train of thought.

Other - Compiz.

Yeah, the eye candy is great. Lots of fun for impressing Windows or Mac users. On the other hand, it really is a major improvement in usability for me. The rotating cube is great for checking on stuff running on other desktops, and being able to use the mousewheel for transparency and zoom is great also. I have a hard time using anything else anymore.

GML3G0 said:
FluxBox. Lightweight, highly configurable, and looks great, too.
Ditto

I have an old PIII with 256mb sdram

with evolution, firefox with like 8 tabs, conky and a misc app I only use around 200MB ram.

Back