Your CCNA Lab....

Jay_2

2[H]4U
What hardware have you got in your labs at the moment?

I am looking to build a basic lab for ICND1 + 2 I will probably use GNS3 for some of it but you can't beat having the real stuff

Whatever I've picked up for free. I have a few 1721's, a 1751, a few 2950's and 2924XL's, and an 871w. GNS3 will get you pretty much everything you need for the CCNA. Now working on the CCNP, so I'm going to have to add a couple of layer 3 switches.

Weren't you stressing about work? What made you decide to move on the CCNA?

To get myself out of this rut. I am thinking if I add a CCNA to my qualifications I can get out of this place.

I thought people would of jumped to post in this one!

Basic lab configurations have been discussed many times. I think people are tired of discussing it.

My lab consists of several 3750 model switches, one 3550 and a Mint box running GNS3.

Its a poor example for you to follow though. The 3750's are overkill but I got them for free so there wasn't a reason NOT to use them. 2950's and 3550's are more appropriate for a basic lab.

1 2514
1 2611 w/4 NM port
1 1912 (I think)
1 871w
I'm planning on updating my collection soon.

To get myself out of this rut. I am thinking if I add a CCNA to my qualifications I can get out of this place.
I hope it helps you feel better.

Do you have any certs now? Any reason why you can't move on without the CCNA? Sometimes when you're already burnt out, trying to do a cert will just make it worse, Think about changing jobs first and then working on the CCNA if that's a possible alternative.

Yes I have ITIL (just upgraded to v3) and a CCA. I actually enjoy the technical stuff just not the other stuff that goes around it.

Currently have:

1760 with 1 WIC
2610 with 1 WIC
2620 with 1 WIC and Async 32a card + 1 8 port cable
3620 empty
3640 1NET + 1 WIC
2950 12 port
2950 24 port
3550 48 port- needs RMA but Cisco won't let me.

Old pic with just the 2950's + 2600/1700.

photocnm.jpg

I need to upgrade the ram, install 12.3 on all of them, and figure out exactly what I am trying to do. I still need to borrow my friends study guides. :)
I have the chance to buy a 881w, think it would be worth it? (under $300, brand new).

I'm in a CCNA class now and I would say that the Packet Tracer is a great program to use, I've never tried the GNS3 (I'll have to check it out). Though the real deal is nice though since it gives you more practical knowledge and you learn who's really bad at cabling and who isn't. The simulators are great for getting to know IOS ect. You can probably use just about any Cisco router and maybe a switch or 2, I know for my class each row has 3-4 routers, 2 switches, and a patch panel.

I'm in a CCNA class now and I would say that the Packet Tracer is a great program to use, I've never tried the GNS3 (I'll have to check it out). Though the real deal is nice though since it gives you more practical knowledge and you learn who's really bad at cabling and who isn't. The simulators are great for getting to know IOS ect. You can probably use just about any Cisco router and maybe a switch or 2, I know for my class each row has 3-4 routers, 2 switches, and a patch panel.

I agree! i am studying for my ccna right now and cisco packet tracer is an awesome simulation to use for learning.

I can post in this thread now, LOL

A friend of mine just gave me a BRAND NEW never opened powered on or used Cisco 2600.

Ill post pictures tonight, when it's in the rack, i plan on buying a few cisco switches to learn vlans and other stuff.

Won't be used for my home setup as the 2600 is slow and my internet connection is WAY faster than what it can handle, but it's a start to learn.

IMG_0619.JPG

Last edited:
FOR CCENT/CCNA studies i use GNS3 and a real lab!

Tzwub.jpg

2620XM
2620XM
2650XM
3550-24-PWR
2950-T-EMI
2950-T-EMI

riqE9.jpg

For the CCNA I used Packet Tracer, 5x 2610's and a 2511 access server. Now I would probably just use Dynamips and get some real switches. Much easier to work with.

What hardware have you got in your labs at the moment?

I am looking to build a basic lab for ICND1 + 2 I will probably use GNS3 for some of it but you can't beat having the real stuff

you don't need real stuff to pass CCNA.
you can use dynagen to emulate real router/switch, although not every feature/cmd available but suffice to pass the exam.

good luck

you don't need real stuff to pass CCNA.
you can use dynagen to emulate real router/switch, although not every feature/cmd available but suffice to pass the exam.

good luck

Why would you want to be a CCNA without ever touching real stuff?

Why would you want to be a CCNA without ever touching real stuff?

Maybe I touch the real stuff at work and don't want a noisy, heat producing stack of gear at home? :) I'm using rack rental time for my CCIE study.

of course if you have a choice and can afford then real stuff rulez.

I disagree. For the same reasons NetJunkie posted. I prefer a virtual lab. I can build topologies much quicker with Dynamips than I could with physical gear. It doesn't cost me much in electricity, it doesn't cost anything to purchase, etc, etc. Physical labs are more for bragging rights these days. You can run a full CCIE topology (and more) with some switches and Dynamips. I gave away my CCIE rack a long time ago.

Maybe I touch the real stuff at work and don't want a noisy, heat producing stack of gear at home? :) I'm using rack rental time for my CCIE study.

You took the dive? With the lines continually being blurred I guess I don't blame you. I'm quickly reminded of a quote from the movie Speed, "what, you thought you needed ANOTHER challenge or something?" :p

-2 for a Speed quote, sorry

You took the dive? With the lines continually being blurred I guess I don't blame you. I'm quickly reminded of a quote from the movie Speed, "what, you thought you needed ANOTHER challenge or something?" :p

-2 for a Speed quote, sorry

Yeah... I've been a "part time" Cisco guy for a long time. I've had my CCNP for probably 10 years. Now I'm the Principal over our Cisco practice at my company. My Cisco channel manager offered me $10K in training if I wanted to do the CCIE to help us out...so I accepted. I figure why not? How cool would it be to be the only VCDX+CCIE in the world?

Looks like me and a few friends will be shooting for August testing. Just added a few more things to my lab, a Cisco 2950T, 3640, and 881W. Looking forwards to my NM-FE1-W2, ASYNC cable, and additional WICT1V2's to arrive.

Gotta love Craigslist and ewaste recyclers. $200 in to the lab (minus the 881w) and $200 for the 881W with maxed ram/security package.

Looks like me and a few friends will be shooting for August testing. Just added a few more things to my lab, a Cisco 2950T, 3640, and 881W. Looking forwards to my NM-FE1-W2, ASYNC cable, and additional WICT1V2's to arrive.

Gotta love Craigslist and ewaste recyclers. $200 in to the lab including my latest ebay purchases (minus the 881w) and $200 for the 881W with maxed ram/security package.

Gotta love Craigslist and ewaste recyclers. $200 in to the lab including my latest ebay purchases (minus the 881w) and $200 for the 881W with maxed ram/security package.

SCORE ON THE 881W! NICE!!

I'm more of a fan with external wireless that way you can plant the waps around the house etc etc. :)

SCORE ON THE 881W! NICE!!

I'm more of a fan with external wireless that way you can plant the waps around the house etc etc. :)

For the price, I could not be happier. I emailed the fellow a week ago, could not get out of work, and missed it. He emailed me today saying 4 people flaked and he would drop the price $100 if I picked it up today. Drove up to him with cash in hand and walked away happy. So far I am just getting it reset to defaults. It has the K9 security option, POE for 2 ports, Gig ethernet, and Wireless N. Amazing little device. What I am most happy for is it runs 12.4 :). Tons to do!

Back