"You must activate this windows product within 4 days"

Jitsu

Limp Gawd
"Would you like to activate it now?"
[Yes] - Nothing happens.

This is what I've been encountering today on startup.

I registered windows, so I don't think it's windows itself... plus it never prompts me when the computer is running, just as soon as windows loads, before it shows me the log on screen, after a reboot.

Any idea what program is causing this? I have no idea - and I don't want to re-install windows again.

certainly sounds like XP

http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/evaluation/features/activation.mspx

Activate Windows XP Right Away

If you have not activated Windows XP, you will be reminded each time you log in and at common intervals until the end of the activation grace period of 30 days. If you have not activated Windows XP within this timeframe, you will need to do so to continue using it.

If you choose to activate your product over the Internet, upon your submission the activation wizard will detect your Internet connection and connect to a secure server to transfer your installation ID to Microsoft. A confirmation ID is passed back to your computer, automatically activating Windows XP. This process normally takes just a few seconds to complete. No personally identifiable information is required to activate Windows XP.

To activate Windows XP over the telephone, you can simply call a toll-free* number displayed on your screen. A customer service representative will ask for the installation ID number displayed on the same screen, enter that number into a secure database, and return a confirmation ID to you. Once you have typed the confirmation ID, the activation process is complete.

possibly it failed an update verification of their new anti-piracy initative
http://news.zdnet.co.uk/0,39020330,39186031,00.htm
but I find that far less likely

Jitsu said:
"Would you like to activate it now?"
[Yes] - Nothing happens.

This is what I've been encountering today on startup.

I registered windows, so I don't think it's windows itself... plus it never prompts me when the computer is running, just as soon as windows loads, before it shows me the log on screen, after a reboot.

Any idea what program is causing this? I have no idea - and I don't want to re-install windows again.
Did you add new hardware?

Actually, if you can make it certain that your machine will be running Xp on the same user forever, then you don't need to activate. You will need to activate the next time you switch users or reboot, though.

Back