"you might not have permission to use this network resource."

Jesus_Faction

[H]ard|Gawd
I just got home for summer and have been trying to share my computers' folders over my home network. I have two computers, let's call them pc1 and pc2. Network shares were working just fine when I was on my college network. However, since I got home pc2 has been having some trouble.

I can access the shared folders by going to run and typing in //192.168.2.xxx but i can't access that computer by typing in //pc2
I can PING the IP but not the computer name as well

This is a problem because I am trying to use the software Synergy to share keyboard and mouse between the two computers and it doesn't work with the current situtation.

I've been messing around with NetBIOS and File and folder permissions with no joy
I've tried reinstalling Client for MS networks and file and printer sharing
I've uninstalled all my windows updates and disabled my firewalls

If i try to type //pc2 into IE i get: "Windows cannot find \\pc2"

If i select pc2 from Workgroup i get the error:

"you might not have permission to use this network resource. Contact the administrator of this server to find out if you have access permissions.

The network path was not found."

Someone help!

Is the Workgroup on the driver the same on both machines? Is it possible your two machines are on different subnets? If both are good, you may want to manually put the name of your second PC in your local hosts file:

local default host file is found in /windows/system32/drivers/etc and looks like this when opened in wordpad at the end of it add the IP and the hostname of your pc:

# Copyright (c) 1993-1999 Microsoft Corp.
#
# This is a sample HOSTS file used by Microsoft TCP/IP for Windows.
#
# This file contains the mappings of IP addresses to host names. Each
# entry should be kept on an individual line. The IP address should
# be placed in the first column followed by the corresponding host name.
# The IP address and the host name should be separated by at least one
# space.
#
# Additionally, comments (such as these) may be inserted on individual
# lines or following the machine name denoted by a '#' symbol.
#
# For example:
#
# 102.54.94.97 rhino.acme.com # source server
# 38.25.63.10 x.acme.com # x client host

127.0.0.1 localhost
192.168.x.x PC2 <<----

Do an ipconfig on both machines and make sure you are on the same subnet. Windows networking is known to be a POS sometimes. It should to uPnP everything so that you don't need to type in addresses. If you have a really dirt cheap rotuer though, it might not pick it up properly.

Also, try a ipconfig /flushdns since windows built in DNS caching might still be trying to use your old network's addresses (which is actualy what it's soundling like) In your "Network places" folder, it is merely shortcuts to what is found as available network shares. It doesn't usualy update when you leave networks (requiring manual deletion of links toretired resources).

I've managed to get Synergy to work by tweaking some of its settings.

Now about that host file which computer should i be chaning it on? Do I add the ip of the pc2 to pc1's host file or pc2's ip info to pc2's host file?

The subnets are fine and I've flushed the DNS and tried changing both computer's names

I'll be even if I can't access pc2 by its name; using the IP isn't too much trouble

thanks for the help

Back