You have a choice in using 20 pin or 24 pin atx connector?

Mangudai

Limp Gawd
I was reading the booklet since this is my first time building a computer in 2 years and the booklet for the MSI K8N Neo4 said you have a choice in connector a 20 or 24 pin atx connector to the MB. I was a bit confused by this because I thought it was mandatory to use 24? WOuldnt their be less power coming into the MB if you used 20 pin?

thanks in advance.

20 pin works fine. It will only go on one way, and the board should come right up. It did on my Neo4/SLI as well as my friends Neo4 Plat.

It works fine for me. I have a 20 pin plugged into my NF4 Ultra-D

Some motherboards, if I understand correctly (doubtful!), can compensate for the lack of a 24-pin connector via a 4-pin molex connector (in addition to the 4-pin (square) ATX power for a total of three motherboard power connections).

Question, if your MB uses a 24 pin ATC connectot, do you have to connect the other 4 pin connector thats near the cpu?

the square 4-pin one? Yes. You should.

The 4-pin molex one (like the one you plug into non-SATA hard drives and CD-ROM drives?) In many cases that's optional. Though, in (nearly?) all cases, plugging it in as well won't hurt and in many cases might help stability.

Most of the better PSU come with a 24pin connector, this connector has a removable 4pin square connector that can be removed.
This makes a 20pin connector for these boards.
Then you have all the connectors you need without the adapter.
Most mobo mfg recomends NOT to use these adapters, especially the 20 to 24 pin adapter.
I know some are using this and it is working.

The best way to do this is to get a quality PSU that has the convertable power cables, PCIe cables, SATA cables, CPU supply lead, Video power leads, hd leads, floppy leads and all the rest that you may need.

Back